SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell phone antennas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone antennas Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Looking for info on ways to boost cell phone signal in a vehicle without spending a bunch.
We will be travelling from Michigan to Montana later this year across US2. I want some ideas to improve cell signal for TMobil system.

Thanks

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson/weboost car signal booster around $100 on Amazon.

I have not seen anything cheaper that actually works.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Verizon?

An antenna won't help if there is no service nearby.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Verizon?

+1

Get just a prepaid VZW phone.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would think the weakest link is from your cellphone to the tower. The towers have high gain antennas while your antenna on the cellphone has no gain.

In the old days with portable radios, you had a vehicular charger that the portable set in and was connected to an antenna mounted on the vehicle. This give you additional coverage due to the gain of the vehicular mounted antenna.

Looks like the weboost mentioned by SIG2392 is set up to work in and outside the car.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Wilson booster in the Yoop. Works fine in 90% of the U.P.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Verizon?

TMobil
As stated in the op.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wyoming state troopers were using Wilsons a couple of years ago. I don't know if they are still using them.
I have one in my company car.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You will probably only have signal on TMobile while you are in decent sized towns. I would also suggest you get a burner Verizon or Tracfone. You can't boost what isn't there and you'll find much more verizon signal out here in Montana.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Satisfied Wilson user here!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Skull Leader probably has the right idea as I doubt T-Mobile has enough coverage to simply use a Wilson amplifier. Zero signal x 50db gain still equals zero.

Is roaming still a thing? Can T-Mobile phones use Verizon towers or are they different protocols? Seriously asking.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post