Please delete Login/Join 
posted
Please delete

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigeinkcmo,

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife upgraded from a cooper S to a countryman S when we had another child

The long and short of it is we had no mechanical issues at all but we hated the car. It didn’t drive anything remotely like the Cooper, and was way less comfortable. The caveat to that is we are not normal sized people, especially me and my 16 year old being 6’5 and 6’8 respectively

I drove the Cooper fine and really liked that car

I hated the countryman

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Wife has the 2104 Countryman S. Not the All4. It has been a good car and is fun to drive. Funny how she gets better gas mileage than do I when I drive it! About 27-28 MPG in mostly around town driving. Expect a bit less in the All4.

Her third MINI. All have been reliable.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I believe that is the R56 generation. Nice cars, but the F56 gen has BMW engines and is proving to be a more refined and a bit more reliable.

I have a 2016 F56 JCW 3 door and it is a bmw in mini clothes. I’m looking for a used one with the smaller engine for my daughter and decided to pass on the R56 gen unless I find a screaming deal.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
for a tool around town or daily driver they are not bad,

the 181hp is a S model, and in the larger mini it is peppy,

I am on my second Hardtop S, (2010 and now a 2013) and have driven just about everything they have as loaners when my cars were serviced,

good handling, but not as good as the smaller models,
roomy, just a bit tighter (or felt that way) than the wife's CRV

I had 62K on the 10 when I traded it for the 13, no notable issues, one upper motor mount was replaced at a cost of $170,

have had 0 issues with the 13 , and it is going in for it's 70K service in a few weeks,

the larger models are nice 'little' cars,
the smaller models are a freaking blast to drive on twisty roads

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
the smaller models are a freaking blast to drive on twisty roads

The JCW hardtop puts out 228 hp and with Dinan piggyback something like 270. Lose the runflats, keep it manual with a short shifter and you have an awesome go-cart. My wife was looking at bigger ones but after realizing how much fun this is AND we can fit our kids in it - couldn’t be happier. The newer JCW countrymen have HP and improved handling but still more a sporty small SUV. There are deals to be had - ours was a 2016 on showroom floor with 170 Miles and we picked up as a “new”car with over $10K knocked off sticker - this was in December if I recall.

Visit some dealers as well as private buyers, you can find a good deal.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

Seems like Mini has pretty decent reliability and cost of ownership.

Where did you hear that?

I owned a Mini Cooper S for 2 years and while it was a very fun car to drive, it also was expensive to own; premium gas only, run-flat tires only, Mobil-1 oil only, service at a Mini/BMW dealership with prices to reflect. It's basically a BMW and you will be paying BMW prices for parts too.

IMO, it's NOT a car with a "decent" cost of ownership at all.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
We had the manual Cooper but the auto countryman. That wasn’t really a deciding factor for us. We got the countryman during an end of model year event, so there was limited inventory, and the color my wife wanted was an auto. By that point my wife’s daily commute was roughly 1500 yards, so it wouldn’t matter either way

quote:
Kevbo. Thanks. I'm bigger too but the wife and is smaller and I have two girls that are average size and under 10. They will occasionally run an errand with their mom but usually we'll be doing the bulk of the kid and gear hauling with my SUV.

Did you have the manual or auto? She's a bit nervous about having to deal in rush hour with the stick but at the same time says she misses it a lot. Letting her make up her mind herself, lol. :P I suggested she drive the manual and also try to drive a auto. Autos are pretty nice nowadays.

EDIT: Thanks everyone! Wow, lots of awesome feedback. Really appreciate it.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
We had the manual Cooper but the auto countryman. That wasn’t really a deciding factor for us. We got the countryman during an end of model year event, so there was limited inventory, and the color my wife wanted was an auto. By that point my wife’s daily commute was roughly 1500 yards, so it wouldn’t matter either way

quote:
Kevbo. Thanks. I'm bigger too but the wife and is smaller and I have two girls that are average size and under 10. They will occasionally run an errand with their mom but usually we'll be doing the bulk of the kid and gear hauling with my SUV.

Did you have the manual or auto? She's a bit nervous about having to deal in rush hour with the stick but at the same time says she misses it a lot. Letting her make up her mind herself, lol. :P I suggested she drive the manual and also try to drive a auto. Autos are pretty nice nowadays.

EDIT: Thanks everyone! Wow, lots of awesome feedback. Really appreciate it.

I have had nothing but the 6sp auto,
don't miss the stick, (drove plenty for years)

traffic, just leave in D,
it is plenty quick when needed , and if you wanna get sporty, you can use the flappy paddles on the steering wheel or shift with the shifter,

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey! Figured I'd ping you guys to see if anyone has experience with the Mini brand. Specifically the Countryman model, years 2012-2015. Looking at used with around 40-50k miles and either a manual or steptronic auto. Also looking primarily at the larger engine (181hp) and the AWD. Any big warning signs, things to look for and so on?
Seems like Mini has pretty decent reliability and cost of ownership. This would be a commuter car and my wife's daily driver. I sat in one and it felt pretty comfortable but other than liking the styling, no little about them.

Looking to stay below 20k and the range for these years is about 15-20k, depending on mileage. This will replace a Toyota Avalon. The wife is also considering the Rav4 and a few other smaller, sportier SUVs. But the Mini/Rav4 seems to be her preference.

Thanks!!!

loved mine, make sure you get the "S" and premium sound - you will truly love driving again

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I have a Countryman S, 2wd 2014 12000 miles for sale, perfect condition. Email in profile.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have a '14 Mazda3 with ~70K on it now, got it with 1,800 on it, so not quite new, but barely used. It's been a great car so far, zero problems (except for the windshield being a rock magnet, like every other car I've ever owned, but that's another story). Hope you enjoy!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mazda is making good cars these days.

My '15 Mazda6 is still running great after 105K miles.

Averages 31-32 mpg in mix of hwy / city driving.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
quote:
Hey! Figured I'd ping you guys to see if anyone has experience with the Mini brand. Specifically the Countryman model, years 2012-2015. Looking at used with around 40-50k miles and either a manual or steptronic auto. Also looking primarily at the larger engine (181hp) and the AWD. Any big warning signs, things to look for and so on?
Seems like Mini has pretty decent reliability and cost of ownership. This would be a commuter car and my wife's daily driver. I sat in one and it felt pretty comfortable but other than liking the styling, no little about them.

Looking to stay below 20k and the range for these years is about 15-20k, depending on mileage. This will replace a Toyota Avalon. The wife is also considering the Rav4 and a few other smaller, sportier SUVs. But the Mini/Rav4 seems to be her preference.

Thanks!!!

loved mine, make sure you get the "S" and premium sound - you will truly love driving again

I know the OP has bought a Mazda, but just want to add that the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Mini is fantastic,

one of the best factory stereo combo's I have heard

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the help. Ended up test driving three Countryman’s, two auto and a manual. Wife and I both felt the cars are a bit too quirky for us. Also decided AWD wasn’t a neccessity.

As it turns out, a Mazda3 was on our shorlist about 10 years ago so we took a few out. Ended up getting a new 2018 Mazda3 Grand Touring hatchback in white. Zero % financing and the Costco pricing made new/used only a small difference. Sticker was around 27k and we got it for 23k plus tax. Wife is super happy so I am too!

We have a 15 Mazda3 s GT Hatchback. It’s been a good car so far with 30,000 miles on the clock. My only complaint is the noisy, noisy cabin at highway speed.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2007 Mazda3 with 105k on it, and it's been fantastic. I'd definitely buy another Mazda.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Had one as a rental. I liked it!

Congrats.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 3. That would be probably my top choice for a new small sedan/hatchback. Great little cars & a lot more fun to drive than a lot of their rivals.

Auto or manual?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Your wallet will appreciate the choice of the Mazda over the Mini!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! It's an auto with the shifter paddles on the wheel. She decided her commute would be more enjoyable with the auto.

As much as I want my next car to be a stick, there isn't much in my budget that interests me. Nor are there many mid-size sedans on the market with a manual option.
The Mazda6 is nice, but I want a bit more power than is available there, and you can't get the GT with a manual.

I've driven a couple Kia Stingers & quite like it. In no rush & want to give the new Mazda6 Turbo a spin before deciding.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post