SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Help Needed -- Automatic Update and Now Previews of Image Files and Folders Messed Up!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Help Needed -- Automatic Update and Now Previews of Image Files and Folders Messed Up! Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
This morning my Dell laptop did an automated update to drivers and BIOS, and now when I look in my Pictures folder, only about 10% of the files will display the file image (was 100% before the update)... this includes subfolders within the Pictures folder!

I have searched for an answer to what must be done to fix it and have come up empty. Have also tried going through all the display settings I can find, but to no avail.

Any help on fixing this problem would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Check the files by type. The ones you can see and the ones you cannot. Post back.

Perhaps the default file associations got hosed, and that can be easily fixed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Check the files by type. The ones you can see and the ones you cannot. Post back.

Perhaps the default file associations got hosed, and that can be easily fixed.

I can see thumbnails for a few JPGs, but not most of them. I can also see a few PNG files, but not most of them. It is TOTALLY inconsistent regarding file types!

Now here's the crazy thing... if I download an image file and the Windows Explorer window opens to allow me to choose where the file goes, THEN can I see ALL of the thumbnails like I used to! Same goes if I'm attaching an image file or uploading it... when the window opens to choose the file, I can see ALL thumbnails like I used to!

I am SOOO pissed at these automatic updates that I have now disabled them ALL! Dammit... Mad

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
<<snip>>
Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6CU_3ErOw

Did that first thing. It is most DEFINITELY set as "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is DE-SELECTED...

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just tried rolling back the BIOS update as well as several drivers related to the system... but with zero improvement, even after a system restart!

I'm stumped, and I'm pissed!

Any other ideas to check?

Again, thanks in advance for any and all help on this! I'm a computer geek from back in the '80's, and have built custom commercial equipment, custom personal systems, and well as done repair on them for many years. To date, I have NEVER come across one that has me baffled like this!!!

Edit to add: I also deleted the thumbnail database per Microsoft's instructions on the problem so it could be rebuilt... didn't work! Only about 10-15% of thumbnails show! <<grrr>>

Bill R.
North Alabama

posted Hide Post
In my experience, things that are screwed up by an update usually fix themselves within a few days.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
In my experience, things that are screwed up by an update usually fix themselves within a few days.

With a NEW update. Hint, if you turn your updates off right now your computer will remain in this state.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
As long as your data is still there, you can take a deep breath and find a fix without worrying.

I hate the build in viewer. How about search for a free replacement?

Otherwise, what you did is fine but have you tried to restore to default before doing the don´t show thumbpics first?

What I usualy do is find a pic (choose different extensions, one by one), right click to properties and select Open with. Then make sure the Always use this program is selected and pick your viewer of choice. THEN go after the always show icons option.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did “Restore to defaults” before changing the option to see thumbnails back on. No luck!

Will try setting the default app for viewing and see what happens... thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
<<snip>>
Otherwise, what you did is fine but have you tried to restore to default before doing the don´t show thumbpics first?

What I usualy do is find a pic (choose different extensions, one by one), right click to properties and select Open with. Then make sure the Always use this program is selected and pick your viewer of choice. THEN go after the always show icons option.

0-0

Tried restoring to default, and also changing the "Open With"... still didn't work! It's such a minor thing MOST of the time, but when I'm needing a particular image, NOT seeing the thumbnails becomes quite irritating! I sure as heck don't want to start over with a Windows Restore or reinstallation as I just got this laptop setup properly after two weeks of tinkering!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Tried another (free) pic viewer?

I would give that a shot and if it fails then go to the Default Programs selection and move back to W10 photo viewer.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
bronicabill, I have the same issue, and, like you, have been unable to find a fix. Yet.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Is it the thumbnail images that are screwed up? If so, a similar thing happened to me a few months ago with one of my test virtual machines, I believe I had to rebuild the thumbnail cache.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Tried another (free) pic viewer?

I would give that a shot and if it fails then go to the Default Programs selection and move back to W10 photo viewer.

0-0

I think you're missing the point... Any program I use shows the images and thumbnails just fine. It's when I attempt to browse through the files in Windows Explorer that the thumbnails do not show on most files. I have set the default program from Win10 Photo Viewer, to Paint, and several other programs, then back to Photo Viewer... and it doesn't matter the problem persists!

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Is it the thumbnail images that are screwed up? If so, a similar thing happened to me a few months ago with one of my test virtual machines, I believe I had to rebuild the thumbnail cache.

I already HAVE gone through the steps to rebuild the thumbnail cache, but with zero improvement!

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just tried that... downloaded and ran the program, but with zero improvement!

I am now downloading and installing the latest round of Windows 10 updates and "bug fixes", so hopefully this will do the trick! <sigh>

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I really DO appreciate all of the suggestions for a fix; unfortunately none of them have solved the problem yet! Will report back tomorrow after the latest updates have been installed. Cheers!

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Final Update: Because I'm tired of forking with it...

Ran the latest Win10 updates, rebooted, no joy. Ran the Icon & Thumbnail repair program again... no joy. Made sure all "view" settings were correct, and that I had the default program set properly... no joy.

I'm done with it! Will just deal with it until I get a replacement... or somebody here comes up with a different idea that hasn't been tried yet!

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama