SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World War 2 history books?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World War 2 history books? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My daughter (age 14) has asked me if I have any books about WW2 history. I do but they are really dry reading that I think will tire her out quickly. Any suggestions for books that would interest her. Lots of pictures and short and sweet please.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Is she looking for books that cover comprehensive topics, like complete histories of operations in the European or Pacific theaters, or just any books related to WWII topics, even if very narrow in scope?

While not as exciting as some novels, many lengthy books are far from "dry."

For a comprehensive description of US Army operations in the ETO, would suggest Rick Atkinson's liberation Trilogy:
- "An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943" (The Liberation Trilogy Book 1)
- "The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944" (The Liberation Trilogy Book 2)
- "The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945" (The Liberation Trilogy Book 3)

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with a similar book, or collection of books, for US operations in the Pacific.

For more narrow focus, and extremely entertaining reads, about WWII, I recommend two books by James Scott:
- "Target Tokyo: Jimmy Doolittle and the Raid That Avenged Pearl Harbor"
- "The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan"

I've read other material on the "Doolittle" raid, but "Target Tokyo" is the best of the bunch. It was so well done it compelled me to read "The War Below," which was also great, but something I wouldn't normally have read. Prior to reading "Target Tokyo," it was extremely unlikely I would have ever read anything about sub warfare. However, "Target Tokyo" was so well written, I decided to give "The War Below" a shot, and I'm extremely glad I did.

Another good author (although in my opinion James Scott is better), is the late Stephen Ambrose. He has several excellent books about various WWII topics. Some I've read, and recommend, are:
- "Band of Brothers"
- "D-Day"
- "Citizen Soldiers"
- "The Wild Blue"

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Rick Atkinson’s “Liberation Trilogy.” Atkinson approaches the history in a more readable way than most historians, IMO, including examining battles and campaigns from the perspective of a few individual participants using their personal correspondence and other sources. He also is far blunter in discussing the mistakes, follies, and foibles of the main characters such as Eisenhower and the other Allied and Axis leadership. He points out things that I had never run across in my reading before, such as the fact at some ports where U.S. war materials were being unloaded that an estimated 20 percent was stolen by local workers, and the very large number of deserters who were wandering around places like Paris. But despite his focus on such details, he nevertheless explains the overall picture of the campaigns quite well.

Atkinson has the start of a new series about to be published about the Revolutionary War, but previously he wrote two “young readers adaptation” WWII books, one about the invasion of Normandy, and one about the Battle of the Bulge. I haven’t read either, but I suspect they may be the sort of thing you’re looking for.

If you’re willing to consider fiction, check Jeff Shaara’s works, including those about World War II. They are very readable, but are intensively researched and provide a deeper understanding of many facets of the battles and warfare in general than most formal histories.

There are, of course, many histories that are mostly photographs, and usually include brief explanations of what the photographs depict. I am not personally familiar with this one, but it seems to be an example of the type:
https://www.amazon.com/TIME-LI...graphs/dp/160320993X
I find books like that very interesting even though I have read countless formal histories; they serve to round out my view of the wars.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure her level of interest but Time/Life did a series of books on WW2. Pics on almost every page with captions. The written content is also pretty good (but that comes from an old student that has studied extensively).

The books can be had rather cheaply from one of those on-line auctions. The complete set includes something better than 20 volumes. They can be had individually. Maybe one or two leading up to the war and see if she is interested in more?

Check the local library for the set?

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Time/Life series would probably be the closest match to what was described in the original post.

I have often found, though, that young readers don’t know what they’ll like until they’re exposed to it. My interest in the history of WW II started slow, but became very intense after gaining a little knowledge.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 58v
posted Hide Post
The Russo German war 1941-1945 by Seaton
Panzer Leader by Heinz Gudarian
Volume 3 of the Military History of the Western World by JFC Fuller(although it starts with the American civil war Fuller knew all the leaders at the time of WW2 and has a great perspective)

Half The World Laughs At The Other Half, And Both Are Fools.
-Confucius

Posts: 439 | Location: Webster Groves MO | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a different suggestion.

Studs Terkel "The Good War"

This is an oral history of WWII. Studs speaks with people who were there and records their memories. Think of It is a collection of short stories.
Adds color to the "history" books on the war.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Seven Roads to Hell, a Screaming Eagle at Bastogne

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely look into the Time Life series. Lots of simplified info and pics. Perfect for a teenager. I picked up a set several years ago for about $2 apiece. Money well spent.

If you'd rather have a single volume option, John Keegan's "The Second World War" is a great overview of the war, with a focus on five major battles, and wouldn't be too dry for a teenager.

Anthony Beevor also has a great single volume history of the war, but it's fairly lengthy. Same with Millet and Murray's "A War To Be Won"... Good but lengthy.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Seven Roads to Hell, a Screaming Eagle at Bastogne

That is the one I’m starting on now. The author lived in this town and was a friend and customer at the gun shop I work at.

Wish I had met him,he passed in 2017. He authored four books, all available on Amazon.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A post in support of the Time/Life series suggestion. I liked those when I was a kid.

Indy Neidell started a new series on YT for WWII after the Great War series finished. Maybe have a try of both.

https://youtu.be/k-ox1n9Fl0Q

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post