SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last Deer Hunt Of The Season - Success x2 ****Warning, dead animal pics inside****
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Deer Hunt Of The Season - Success x2 ****Warning, dead animal pics inside**** Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
Yesterday was the last day of our late youth deer season. With sports and life it's been tough to get the boys out to the ranch. Saturday night we headed out to the ranch after dinner and spent the night to be ready for the morning hunt. I got my 14 year old strapped into his trees stand before daylight for his 1st ever solo hunt and headed over to the other side of the ranch with my youngest. Big brother had a choice between using my bolt action 270WSM or Henry Golden Boy 30-30 lever action. He was excited about using the cowboy gun with iron sights.

After passing on several legal deer he saw this nice little 10 point buck slipping through the brush and put a perfect shot on him.

Little brother and I saw several deer but nothing in the same class as what big brother got. He did put a great shot on a little 6 point buck that will be great table fair. It was a successful morning all the way around.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice! I bet those are some excited boys.

I don't hunt any more for a few reasons, both my younger daughter and her younger son do, and WORK at it. They both got skunked this year.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Great job!

I got my first bull elk this year. Just a little guy (3 x 4)...but it took weeks for me to get the smile off my face!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
You had a great hunt. Memories that will last.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Well Done Dad!
Great pics and a wonderful story.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats, our late season hunt was a bust, as far as taking a deer. Still had a good time getting my co-workers out for their first deer hunt.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing. That’s a day those boys will remember their entire lives.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I dig that rifle!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I dig that rifle!

thanks for pointing that out. It is a nice looking one, indeed. Is that a Henry rifle?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That's just great, congratulations Dad!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I dig that rifle!

thanks for pointing that out. It is a nice looking one, indeed. Is that a Henry rifle?

Yes sir, a gift I received from my dad a few years ago.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, I love to see kids getting out in the woods

We have a 8pt teasing us....I came up empty this year, had a 4pt walk 75m in front of me but his rack was borderline....oh well still nice to watch the sun rise from the blind

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to those young men. Great job. And to you as well Dad!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who makes the sling?

Posts: 1741 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
Who makes the sling?

https://brassstacker.com/Lever...ithout-Swivel-Studs/

Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
Outstanding hunt results.

Also, great job for taking the time to pass down some hunting heritage. I am sure there are memories that will last a lifetime.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I love seeing young people getting involved in hunting. Don't see much of that anymore.

Thanks for sharing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post