SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    George Bernard Shaw quote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Bernard Shaw quote Login/Join 
posted
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it. ― George Bernard Shaw

I know that there was recently a quote thread but I cannot find it. I want to thank Para for this quote.
It holds pretty true for me at this time in my life and I'm still wrapping me head around the words.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Some others:

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

“Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself.”

“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”

“Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.”

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

“Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”

“Youth is wasted on the young.”

“There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.”

“If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.”

“There is no love sincerer than the love of food.”

“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them.”

“When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane, most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition continuously until death do them part.”

“The liar's punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.”

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”

“Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't!”

― George Bernard Shaw

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
It holds pretty true for me at this time in my life and I'm still wrapping me head around the words.
Desire inevitably leads to tragedy, because all things come to an end.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

I always like this one.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I've got more words to think about now.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
“When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth.”

― George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah

I like this quote because hidden truths can be the basis of real comedy.

I find self deprecating humor is a close second.

H&K-Guy

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. George Bernard Shaw

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um, look into the other writings of his, George Bernard Shaw was a freakin prickster!
Advocated justifying ones life in order to exist.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Um, look into the other writings of his, George Bernard Shaw was a freakin prickster!

What is a "freakin prickster?"

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
George Bernard Shaw was a hipster? A spinster? A minister? A dragster? I musta missed it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:

"Long after the cold embrace of death wraps its smothering grasp around my bones, I would hope it is the light of my wisdom that is remembered, and not the darkness I've labored to banish off to the farthest reaches of my mind."

-H&K-Guy, SigForum, Right Now.

H&K-Guy

posted Hide Post
Liberty means Responsibility -

Three words...

say so much

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

I really like this one.
I have never heard this one before.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
quote:

I really like this one.

See? You should read my Quote for Today series.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
quote:

I really like this one.

See? You should read my Quote for Today series.

Yeah, I really like the one about the pickle slicing doohickey.

Oh, wait.....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Never do anything that you'd be embarrassed for a paramedic to see.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Shaw and G. K. Chesterton were friends who loved to debate and pick on each other. Shaw was a scrawny little guy and Chesterton was 6'4" and about 300lbs.

Chesterton: To look at you, anyone would think a famine had struck England.
Shaw: To look at you, anyone would think you have caused it.

Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Shaw: I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend—if you have one.

Churchill: Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second—if there is one.