SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KUBOTA tractor question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KUBOTA tractor question Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
My neck's aching just imagining doing that for any length of time!

Nah, yer so cold you don't notice a stiff neck until you thaw out Big Grin

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. I turn about half-way around in the seat so it's like looking 45° to your right.

I've never actually done a survey, but I wonder how many old-time farmers can't look over their left shoulder? I know I can't, haven't been able to for years.

I left the farm when I joined the Navy at 18 so that's not it, but many farmers from my Dad's generation (and I suspect mine as well) spent a lifetime looking over their right shoulder at whatever equipment they were pulling behind the tractor.

The picture you draw of looking over the shoulder brings back fond memories for me as child.
My Grandfather owned a large vegetable wholesale company on South Water Market in Chicago. He opened a processing plant in Chicago later. Part of his business was a 300 acre farm he owned in McHenry IL. He had mostly farming relatives work the farm. During the War (WWII) there was a Japanese intern running it. I would spend my summers there and many times go for a ride on the tractors (1. Large John Deere with treads, 1. medium Allis Chalmers, and a small Cat dozer).It was "muck" land as I remember them calling the soil. It would sometimes catch fire and burn for a season. Had to have tracks or the tractors would sink in, thus farming with the CAT. That land is still vacant after being sold in the 60's.
Thanks to your post I now remember how ALL the drivers of all those tractor spent all day looking back as they did the work. I sat on the tool box and enjoyed every minute.
I also remember seeing there blackened faces every evening when they would return from the fields.
The happiest memories of my life.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I think I have read it all. Your description of what you intend to do with the machine is a little vague. Something in the 60 horsepower range may be more than you need for 11 acres but it depends on your budget and how fast you need to do the work which you haven't addressed. Additional horsepower speeds up the work but now a 2 wheel drive tractor has been introduced in the discussion. A loader on a 2 wheel drive tractor can cause traction problems due to excessive weight on the front and too little on the rear. It is surprising how much the 35-40 horse 4 wheel drive tractors can do. Kubota used to do some deals on a tractor, loader, blade, mower and trailer as a package that were pretty good. The internet certainly allows you to shop competition and there are a lot of these for sale right now. Obviously when you up the horsepower you can pull bigger implements and finish faster but the cost goes up on each item. (tractor and implement) What is your budget? A cab with heat and air is expensive though really nice and so is a loader. Really clean used equipment holds it's value fairly well. You don't want the rough stuff!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My JD 1020 used to be considered a medium sized "utility" tractor. It is about 35 HP and is a great size for anything on my 6 acres. It came with the front end loader. 60 HP would, IMO be serious overkill.

As far as 2WD vs. 4WD, the 1020 is 2WD and the other one, a 110 tractor-loader-backhoe, is 4WD. The 1020 has fluid in the tires and has better traction than the 110 when in 4WD without fluid. The 110 has 43 HP, but without weight it spins the tires.

On another line of thought, the older 1020 (built around 1965) is cheaper and easier to maintain that the 110TLB (built 2003).

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Give me a 4wd all day every day in a smaller compact type tractor

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went and looked at the Kubota M5700. It appeared to have no issues. No leaks, started right up,no smoke on start up, drove fine. Came from a nursery that closed down after the owner passed. The 2 right side tires were NOT good, dry rot. The 2 left side were like new.
I'm working a package price that's very close to the dealers CASH price (used farm equipment dealer).
I need a Mower and a blade for snow removal. The dealer had many used farm implements in the yard. I'm sure he has a huge area for pricing adjustments.

This is the package I proposed and the price, what do you think?
Kubota M5700 tractor
Brush Hog 7' #257 mower- fair cond.
Woods 3pt. blade- #RB850 hydro. movement. fair cond.
Transport delivery -100 miles in each direction. He has a semi tractor and flat bed for delivery
$11500.00 - NO SALES TAX - CASH

He agreed to $12000.00 cash but with a smaller King Kutter 6' mower and a smaller non hydro blade.
I would be willing to add some more implements to the deal like a 2 bottom plow or cultivator instead of a price reduction or pay extra for those units.
You farm boys, whats your advice?
How would you negotiate with a used farm equipment dealer?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I went and looked at the Kubota M5700. It appeared to have no issues. No leaks, started right up,no smoke on start up, drove fine. Came from a nursery that closed down after the owner passed. The 2 right side tires were NOT good, dry rot. The 2 left side were like new.
I'm working a package price that's very close to the dealers CASH price (used farm equipment dealer).
I need a Mower and a blade for snow removal. The dealer had many used farm implements in the yard. I'm sure he has a huge area for pricing adjustments.

This is the package I proposed and the price, what do you think?
Kubota M5700 tractor
Brush Hog 7' #257 mower- fair cond.
Woods 3pt. blade- #RB850 hydro. movement. fair cond.
Transport delivery -100 miles in each direction. He has a semi tractor and flat bed for delivery
$11500.00 - NO SALES TAX - CASH

He agreed to $12000.00 cash but with a smaller King Kutter 6' mower and a smaller non hydro blade.
I would be willing to add some more implements to the deal like a 2 bottom plow or cultivator instead of a price reduction or pay extra for those units.
You farm boys, whats your advice?
How would you negotiate with a used farm equipment dealer?

I would walk. Let him come back to you. Dry rot tires are a non starter. At least 400 for new. Plus transport there and back to have mounted and fillesd.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post