SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KUBOTA tractor question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KUBOTA tractor question Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
First I have never found carrying a loader around a hindrance ever. I have a detachable one but it has never been off. The loader issue is also related to your snow issue. How are you going to move snow? PTO blower going backwards, snow blade mounted, front mounted snow blower?
You want a loader, I can't even imagine surviving without one.

Leaning towards a rear PTO snow blower, looking for something that will be easier on the asphalt driveway, but looking for advice.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
First I have never found carrying a loader around a hindrance ever. I have a detachable one but it has never been off. The loader issue is also related to your snow issue. How are you going to move snow? PTO blower going backwards, snow blade mounted, front mounted snow blower?
You want a loader, I can't even imagine surviving without one.

I'm thinking of a rear mounted snow blower, something that will be easier on a asphalt driveway, but, looking for advice.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a B2920 with a front end loader. I can remove the loader and frame in about 5 minutes to install my 63" front snowblower. I can't imagine plowing snow with a 3 point blower.

I sold all of my 3 point stuff as the loader does all I need as my landscaping is complete.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The FEL is the most used "implement" on my B7800. I have Kubota's "quick attach" system that switches from a bucket to a full pallet fork frame, just by pulling two pins. You can lift with it, transfer materials, and I even use the forks for popping out creosote bushes, just by pushing the two forks together and giving a good shove down and forward under the bush. I keep a counterweight on my 3 point most of the time, because transporting sand/gravel/rocks in the FEL requires some definite counterweight. For the 3 point hitch, I do have a landscape rake, with blade, and a PTO driven woodchipper, that see occasional (once a year) use. Also a "Quick Hitch" setup to make it easier to trade off 3 point implements.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice here. My tractor has way less hours and is a 2003. The front loader is a must as just about everyone has said. I am also having trouble imagining a 3 point snow blower? I have an asphalt driveway and use my loader to clear off snow all the time with zero damage to the asphalt.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I am also having trouble imagining a 3 point snow blower?

While not as handy as a front mount blower, they're 1/3 the price and beat the hell out of a plow.

Especially since I bought a tractor with a cab on it...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leaning towards a rear PTO snow blower, looking for something that will be easier on the asphalt driveway, but looking for advice.

We don't get nearly as much snow in St. Louis as we used to, but I use a 3 point blade to push snow. I salvaged a blown tractor trailer recap off the highway, cut it (easier said than done), and bolted it between the cutting edge and the blade itself. It sticks out the bottom and sides an inch or two. Never had a problem with it on any surface. I have gravel here, and when I go out to do others, they are concrete and asphalt.

If you're dealing with deeper snow, a blower would likely make more sense.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My neck's aching just imagining doing that for any length of time!

quote:

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good place on small tractors info is:

www.tractorbynet.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

We don't get nearly as much snow in St. Louis as we used to, but I use a 3 point blade to push snow. I salvaged a blown tractor trailer recap off the highway, cut it (easier said than done), and bolted it between the cutting edge and the blade itself. It sticks out the bottom and sides an inch or two. Never had a problem with it on any surface. I have gravel here, and when I go out to do others, they are concrete and asphalt.

If you're dealing with deeper snow, a blower would likely make more sense.

People use a cut up cow standing pad to use between the knife edge blade and plow body.

You can find them precut on ebay at times. They keep from marking up the driveway.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...ubber+strip&_sacat=0

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
People use a cut up cow standing pad to use between the knife edge blade and plow body.

I don't know if that's the same as what we call stall mat here (sold for horse stalls). I had originally used it and it broke apart.

The rubber was good and hard but without reinforcement it just tore apart. I've had the tire tread in there for several seasons and it has held up with no issues.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
My neck's aching just imagining doing that for any length of time!

Nah, yer so cold you don't notice a stiff neck until you thaw out Big Grin

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. I turn about half-way around in the seat so it's like looking 45° to your right.

I've never actually done a survey, but I wonder how many old-time farmers can't look over their left shoulder? I know I can't, haven't been able to for years.

I left the farm when I joined the Navy at 18 so that's not it, but many farmers from my Dad's generation (and I suspect mine as well) spent a lifetime looking over their right shoulder at whatever equipment they were pulling behind the tractor.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say it again, get a cab with ac and heat. It allows you to extend your working times. Both in early morning and dusk due to lights, but the ac and heat allow you to moderate temprature extremes and continue working in heat and cold.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are probably three dozen flat bed semi's per week ,going to chicago from omaha, st.louis, columbus or nashville .

finding the right transport should not be too hard.
might give you a deal as they are headed that way , already

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I will say it again, get a cab with ac and heat. It allows you to extend your working times. Both in early morning and dusk due to lights, but the ac and heat allow you to moderate temprature extremes and continue working in heat and cold.

+1. If there's ANY way you can swing it, get a cab now. You can thank me later. Power steering should go without saying.

posted Hide Post
Got a 60" three point snow blower through Craigslist. Very good machine, easy to use, especially in deep snow. Snow contact parts need well waxed before snow season.

Cabs are really nice but can be an expensive added cost. Mine (both JD) have roll bars with an attached roof. This is definitely nice in extreme sun, rain and snow.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I am also having trouble imagining a 3 point snow blower?

If you live where you need it, it is invaluable. However, other parts of the country have different needs. For example, an AZ "snowblower":

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it would be helpful to "armored" if folks would give him some idea of the cost of front end loaders - new & off the tractor, used & off the tractor, & how much a loader would increase the cost of a used tractor. I used to know ballpark figures on this stuff but it has been about 14 years since I was in the market so my info will probably be no help at all...... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
OK, OK. I can now imagine a 3 point blower. Big Grin

But hey, my neck hurts from just thinking about it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:
I'm thinking it would be helpful to "armored" if folks would give him some idea of the cost of front end loaders - new & off the tractor, used & off the tractor, & how much a loader would increase the cost of a used tractor. I used to know ballpark figures on this stuff but it has been about 14 years since I was in the market so my info will probably be no help at all...... FredT

I checked with a local Kubota dealer, the cost to add a new Kubota loader for that size tractor would be $6300.
Would be cheaper to buy a used 2wd tractor with a loader already attached.