SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeing 777 carrying 239 people vanishes - was flying at an altitude of 35,000ft - 4 Americans Onboard
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeing 777 carrying 239 people vanishes - was flying at an altitude of 35,000ft - 4 Americans Onboard Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
About this oil slick...do planes actually carry enough oil to make a size able slick in the event of a crash like this?

I'm not an aviation guy, but I can't imagine that much oil on a plane...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

Posts: 2662 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
They carry enough jet fuel, which is a very light oily liquid similar in many ways to diesel fuel or kerosene, to make a substantial oil slick. They also have synthetic oil for engine lubrication, but I have now idea the size of the reservoirs for the oil.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
About this oil slick...do planes actually carry enough oil to make a size able slick in the event of a crash like this?

The 777-200ER can carry up to 45,000 gallons of Jet-A fuel, which is basically kerosene. A flight will typically not be fully fueled, just enough for the flight and a reserve at the end, but still, it'd make a hell of a slick.

Even if you want to be a literalist, Jet-A is very similar to Fuel Oil no. 5, so you could still call it an oil slick.

Posts: 1802 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes; it's called jet fuel, and the 777 can carry more than 30,000 gallons of it, up to 47,890 at take-off on long range versions.

Posts: 258 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

The 777-200ER can carry up to 45,000 gallons of Jet-A fuel, which is basically kerosene. A flight will typically not be fully fueled, just enough for the flight and a reserve at the end, but still, it'd make a hell of a slick.

Even if you want to be a literalist, Jet-A is very similar to Fuel Oil no. 5, so you could still call it an oil slick.

Gotcha. Thanks for the informative answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

Posts: 2662 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was trying to figure out how deep the water is in the crash area.

Is it about 150 feet ?

Posts: 2605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy: I was trying to figure out how deep the water is in the crash area. Is it about 150 feet ?

I didn't know a crash area had been determined.

Posts: 258 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am referring to the oil slick area.

Posts: 2605 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
They got the data recorder from AF 447 in about 13,000' of water. I bet this is a good amount shallower.

The data recorder is what we really need. I thought it sent off 'pings' for a while too.

Edit to correct depth of AF flight recorder find, about 13,000 ft down as posted below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 1102 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44: ...The data recorder is what we really need. I thought it sent off 'pings' for a while too.

It does.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
If it is roughly in in the Gulf of Thailand, the max depth is only about 240 feet.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 9622 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
They got the data recorder from AF 447 in about 27,000' of water. I bet this is a good amount shallower.

The data recorder is what we really need. I thought it sent off 'pings' for a while too.

I thought it was only 10 or 12k deep. Either way, that's a lot of water.

"Collectivism is intolerable."
~M. Levin

It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality.

Posts: 5522 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Venomous72
posted Hide Post
Report on Huffington Post says they are thinking the plane 'disintegrated' at around 35,000 feet.

Is that even a thing? Can something as large as a 777 just dissolve? We would be seeing a smattering of debris right?

--------------------------------
List O Zombie Killers:
SGL21-61
Smith & Wesson M&P15
HK45
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911
GP-100
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1200
Browning Buckmark .22 (FTW!!)

Posts: 880 | Location: Utah | Registered: September 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Venomous72:
Report on Huffington Post says they are thinking the plane 'disintegrated' at around 35,000 feet.

Is that even a thing? Can something as large as a 777 just dissolve? We would be seeing a smattering of debris right?

Uh, yeah, I would think there'd be a ton of debris. it'd be all scattered to hell, but still. I mean, it's not like it was entering the Earth's atmosphere at 17,000 mph, right?

"Collectivism is intolerable."
~M. Levin

It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality.

Posts: 5522 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Report on Huffington Post says they are thinking the plane 'disintegrated' at around 35,000 feet. Is that even a thing? Can something as large as a 777 just dissolve? We would be seeing a smattering of debris right?

"Disintegrate" simply means "to lose integration," in other words, to break apart. Although rare, it does happen. Severe turbulence, extreme control-surface movements, explosion, etc. could cause it. Generally there would be a large debris field, including floating objects like seat cushions, visible on the surface, which is why many are suggesting that there was NOT an in-flight break-up, but it's all still just speculation.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dissolve? Not likely. Rip itself apart in flight? That has happened. An example is China Airlines 611.

Pieces will be found, but if it cam apart at 35000 feet, they could be very, very spread out.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 9622 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huffington Post is grasping at straws. There is about as much evidence to support that as aliens abducting it.

At this point there is no evidence that supports any explanation. So far all we know is that the ACARS link got cut off after a 650ft drop. That is it. Unlike the Air France crash that is very very little to go on.

Until they find the crash site, anything that that anyone comes up with, will be as one of my Aerospace Engineer Profs called it, a Wild Ass Guess.

-------
Mr. Doom and Gloom
If you are having gun problems I feel bad for you son,
I got ninety nine problems but a jam ain't one.

Posts: 13781 | Location: KITD/FOHS | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is that even a thing?

I don't think they're using the word the way you think they are. In-flight disintegration (to me, anyway) just means that it broke up into some number of very roughly equally sized pieces. It could mean anything from "broken in half" to "there aren't any pieces left that are bigger than a square inch".

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 920 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
This spurred me to check out the flight recorder from Air France 477. Dumb bass pilots stalled the jet from 27,000 into the ocean.

- Rhino

Posts: 25038 | Location: FL Panhandle | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
This spurred me to check out the flight recorder from Air France 477. Dumb bass pilots stalled the jet from 27,000 into the ocean.

Too be fair, they likely didn't think that you could stall an Airbus. If everything is operating correctly you can't put a control input in that would stall the airplane. They didn't realize that they exited normal flight control laws.

Perhaps the reliance on computers to protect pilots from themselves isn't the right idea. Or perhaps there needs to be a more obvious indicator that the airplane is no longer in normal law.

-------
Mr. Doom and Gloom
If you are having gun problems I feel bad for you son,
I got ninety nine problems but a jam ain't one.

Posts: 13781 | Location: KITD/FOHS | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post