SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's Zooming?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Zooming? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Love it but the connection hasn’t not been the greatest lately

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I did it today for the first time. Fairly simple on my iPad.

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/f2NXv9RL1i8

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the biggest video conference fail EVER:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tjwY9BlJA

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's really a generational thing.

We have...

The Greatest Generation '10-'24 (Yeah, like they did anything. Wink )

The Silent Generation '25-'45 (Mom and dad. I don't recall them being silent.)

Boomers '46-'64 (Baby boom, and the very BEST. Ask 'em, they'll tell you!)

X'ers '65-'79 (Baby bust; at least I was leading edge on something...)

Millenials '80-'94 (Cafe Latte?)

Gen Z '95-'12 (Whut? My phone? Ooooo, shiny... a/k/a my kids.)

Gen Alpha '13-present (Currently carefree, out of school, and driving their Zoomer nuts.)

Zoomers Spring-Summer '20 (Desperately trying to work from home amid multiple distractions, with an inability to use the mute button, a lack of knowledge that the camera is, in fact, ON, and a wobbly internet connection that makes 'em sound like Donald Duck on meth.)

I have decided I am no longer Baby Boom or Gen-X, depending on your definitions, I am a proud Zoomer!

So, those participating in Zooming are all the same generation now.

Great Zoomination
Zoom Quietly
Boomer Zoomer!
X-Zoomer
Zoomennial
Z-Zuuuummmer
A-Z00MZ (Also known as the "Snap Caps")

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
At work we used Skype till it started glitching up when Hurricane Harvey forced us all to WFH.
Zoom rose to prominence out of that.
Now we are beta'ing Teams.

I prefer Skype only because I know how to work it after all these years.
Zoom at home requires me to select my wireless headset each time, Skype just picks up the headphones but then it crackles and glitches the sound.

Lots of folks are using the background feature in Zoom now on calls.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
We have been using Defense Collaboration Services (DCS) for most of our work from home needs, but today we used Zoom for a small meeting and I thought it was great. Some of the group had a few issues with muting and unmuting but for a free app I think it's great.

Free? Every ZOOM meeting I've on was hosted by/paid for by someone else. $15/month will get you an account.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I did it the other night. I found out that if you wear the right clothes and pick the right background you can ghost in and out of the display. I used that to amuse myself while my girlfriend talked to her friends.

Every ZOOM meeting I've been on (and I've been on a lot since this thing went down) I use a different background. People tell me I travel a lot! Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Free? Every ZOOM meeting I've on was hosted by/paid for by someone else. $15/month will get you an account.

fpuhan - Zoom has both "Free" (Basic) and "Paid" (Licensed) plans. Free plans limit the user to 100 participants, 40 minute Meetings, Local HD Recording (vs. Cloud Recording), and no API Integrations for third party apps like Sales Force. You can have unlimited meetings, but only at 40 minutes at a time.

Rolan

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is using Zoom -- Everybody !!!
Right this minute, my wife is on Zoom with her book study group.
Yesterday, we were on Zoom with our church community group, and one of the guys set up a TP background -- it was hysterical.
American ingenuity in action.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just finished my first webinar using Zoom. The software itself seems awesome. The big problem was bandwidth, or the lack thereof. The feed kept stalling, sometimes as long as a minute. I think Zoom is hampered by its own success; everyone is using it, and the interwebs just can't handle the traffic. Maybe it'll sort itself out.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be doing a one time zoom meeting later today and was wondering if I need to download anything ahead of time.

I got the email with the meeting ID and password with a link to join the meeting.

Can I just click the link and add meeting ID and password and be good to go or do I need to set this up ahead of time.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:

Zoom, one of the most anticipated tech IPOs of the year, has one key profit driver: engineers in China

Unlike most tech companies preparing to go public, video-conferencing startup Zoom is profitable. One key driver of Zoom’s profitability: a large engineering team in China, where average tech salary is relatively lower than in the U.S.

Zoom’s large R&D presence in China, which is likely made easier by CEO Eric Yuan’s Chinese background, is turning out to be a major cost saver for the video-conference software maker — and reflects an increasingly popular strategy among fast-growth tech companies.

Zoom disclosed in its IPO prospectus last week that most of its product development personnel are based in China. Zoom employs over 500 people across multiple R&D centers in China, which accounts for roughly 30 percent of its total workforce and 70 percent of its non-US-based employees, according to the prospectus.

“Our product development team is largely based in China, where personnel costs are less expensive than in many other jurisdictions,” Zoom wrote in its filing. “If we had to relocate our product development team from China to another jurisdiction, we could experience, among other things, higher operating expenses, which would adversely impact our operating margins and harm our business.”

In the fiscal year that ended Jan. 31, Zoom spent $33 million on R&D, or just 10 percent of total revenue. That’s a much smaller share than other business software makers, and less than half the median R&D percentage of its peer group, according to Redpoint Ventures’ Tomasz Tunguz. For example, Atlassian’s development cost accounted for over 40 percent of its revenue, while smaller companies like Zendesk and Hubspot both spent over 20 percent of their revenues on R&D.

That helped Zoom record a net income of $7.6 million last year, even after spending more than half of its revenue on sales and marketing, like many young business software companies. Its revenue more than doubled to $330.5 million in the same period.

“One key driver of profitability is labor-market arbitrage,” Tunguz wrote in a blog post about Zoom’s financials.

Zoom’s representative didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

‘Labor-market arbitrage’
Tunguz told CNBC in an email that labor arbitrage, or moving jobs to inexpensive regions, is a growing trend among tech companies. Many of his portfolio companies are now looking for talent everywhere and are more willing to hire remote engineers outside of Silicon Valley because of the cost advantage.

According to Glassdoor, entry level software engineers in China make roughly $34,350 per year on average, a third of what their U.S. counterpart would be making ($110,000 per year in San Jose).

Zuora CEO Tien Tzuo said the salary difference between Chinese and American developers has narrowed in recent years, as competition for technical talent in China has significantly grown with the rise of local tech giants, like Alibaba and Tencent. Still, he said hiring remote engineers is an important part of his company’s strategy, and he now runs five international development sites for Zuora.

“Any company that’s not looking at distributed engineering organizations is missing out,” Tzuo said.

In Zoom’s case, having a CEO of Chinese descent seems to help recruiting in the country. Zoom wrote in its prospectus that Yuan’s role is “critical” to the management of its engineering and general operations in China, as he spent most of his early life in China, and earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees there.

Despite its cost benefits, Zoom’s presence in China could also pose a security risk going forward. Zoom mostly deals with business customers, who are much more sensitive about data privacy, and having most of its development team based in China could expose the company to increased scrutiny, the filing said.

“We have a high concentration of research and development personnel in China, which could expose us to market scrutiny regarding the integrity of our solution or data security features,”
Zoom wrote in its filing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/2...ineers-in-china.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My Co-Workers: What's in all those stacked up ammo cans in the backgound, behind you?

Me: Ammo.

My Co-Workers: {Silence}

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I will be doing a one time zoom meeting later today and was wondering if I need to download anything ahead of time.

I got the email with the meeting ID and password with a link to join the meeting.

Can I just click the link and add meeting ID and password and be good to go or do I need to set this up ahead of time.

You've got to do a quick download of the application first. You'll also be setting up an account. Won't cost you if you don't upgrade.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My oldest son and my daughter will be using it starting on Monday for their English classes, but only twice a week.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The Tomminator has been using all week for school. Today if was cancelled because the teacher the thing got hacked...
Tomminator was sad and almost cried because he didn’t get a chance to see and talk to his classmates.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My urologist had me do it today, he was an hour late. I assume it was because everyone prior to my appointment had problems. Didn’t ask.BTW, it was my 5 year anniversary and was told to comeback in another yer.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to Zoom, if I am just having a video call with a few people is there any reason to use the password feature?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I'm Zooming ....... as in that stock is headed to $200.00 with a bullet!

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post