SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Importing a Guitar from Germany
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing a Guitar from Germany Login/Join 
Picture of vic40204
posted
I am thinking about buying a bass guitar from Germany and am wondering what extra fees i may encounter. The Bass is under 800 and i haven't yet found out what means of travel the bass will be shipped. Any ideas of extra cost's anyone?

Thanks Vic

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help you, but it has been a long time since I imported a turntable from Germany.
The biggest problem I had was clearing customs.
They had it at customs at the airport for about 30 days and they completely tore it down to inspect it. I had to put some of it back together when I got it. Supposedly they were looking for drugs or diamonds??
Good luck, but I did not have any extra charges.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you know the types of wood used ? They get a bit picky on some of that stuff.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Not terribly heavy, but that'd be an awfully long box. I might ask the advice of the seller. I assume this is from a manufacturer or retailer. I might be more concerned with who packs it.

Balze Halze may have something to say about this since he travels to France pretty regularly. He may have had occasion to buy something in Europe too large/impractical to take on an airplane. There are several other members that seem to travel to Germany/Europe pretty regularly, too.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I do not have any information on what you asked, I do have a question. What bass? I have a Warwick thumb 6 neck through I bought used about 15 years ago. While it is heavy, I love this bass! I used it to gig for the next 10 years while I was in a band. It stays in tune and has an awesome sound. It has stood the test of time and is still my go to bass. I also have a 1977 Rickenbaker 4001 in azurglo but it is my "safe queen". I have not gagged with it and pull it out when I jam at home.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
If the neck is bolt-on, I'd see if they could ship it with the neck removed unless it is in a solid case and properly packed inside the case. Guitars frequently suffer headstock breaks at the nut if the shipping box is dropped flat on the back. Momentum breaks off the headstock inside the case.

As to customs etc, I have no idea. Sorry.

Posts: 9402 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
If the neck is bolt-on, I'd see if they could ship it with the neck removed unless it is in a solid case and properly packed inside the case. Guitars frequently suffer headstock breaks at the nut if the shipping box is dropped flat on the back. Momentum breaks off the headstock inside the case.

Can be done, but nobody I know would do it or recommend it be done. Provided it's wood, the neck would be very prone to warping or twisting from all the temperature and climate changes along the way without being installed with string tension to counteract the truss rod. With your typical bass, you're much more likely to have this happen since it's generally a thinner neck. Could arrive ok, but I would never ask someone to do this to a guitar I purchased that had to be shipped to me. Never. But I'm also the guy who lets a guitar shipped to me sit in the box all day, then the case all the next day to acclimate before I expose it to a new environment. I finish-checked a Les Paul some time back, so I'm pretty careful about that stuff now and try to advise others against making similarly painful mistakes.

OP, I'm thinking you're looking at least a hundred bucks in shipping, likely a bit more after you're all insured and duties paid. I wouldn't know the exact details on import duties from Germany, you'll need to ask the seller.

What is the bass? Who is it coming from, an individual or a business? Is this a vintage piece you're getting for a steal, or something that never got exported to the US?

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

Can be done, but nobody I know would do it or recommend it be done. Provided it's wood, the neck would be very prone to warping or twisting from all the temperature and climate changes along the way without being installed with string tension to counteract the truss rod. With your typical bass, you're much more likely to have this happen since it's generally a thinner neck. Could arrive ok, but I would never ask someone to do this to a guitar I purchased that had to be shipped to me. Never. But I'm also the guy who lets a guitar shipped to me sit in the box all day, then the case all the next day to acclimate before I expose it to a new environment. I finish-checked a Les Paul some time back, so I'm pretty careful about that stuff now and try to advise others against making similarly painful mistakes.

I've taken an airplane to go pick up a guitar rather than let it be shipped.

The truss rod should be loosened before removing it. If it was, I'd have zero worries about it being shipped disassembled.

Posts: 9402 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I guess with all the concerns, isn't there a bass located in the States that's as good and has as many unique features?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
It's a Sire Marcus Miller V7 4 string. Ash and Maple. It's coming from Thommans.

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I think you would likely be hit at a rate of around 6 - 8 percent.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answe...NEcyaw%3D%3D/p/0/c/0

I know people who have imported guitars from Europe and they say the fees can be kind of hit and miss. Sometimes the rate seems to change for no reason.

I would have no qualms about a guitar shipped from Europe as long as the seller knows what they are doing. I think the chance of the neck warping is close to 0. Just my opinion.

You might want to post over www.thegearpage.net ot www.telecaster.com. A lot of really knowledgeable folks there.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that purchases under 800.00 wouldn't be taxed.

Thanks for the replies.

Vic Johnson