SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Germany proposes heavy fines on Facebook for hate speech
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Germany proposes heavy fines on Facebook for hate speech Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I can say I can understand if they do.

After WWII, the Germans at least acknowledged their demons. They also were probably worried that they may not have exorcised them all. So they felt the need to impose restrictions on certain forms of expression. Would that fly here? Never. But we didn't spawn something like the NaziS that were responsible for the deaths of something like 40,000,000 people.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I'd be interested in the theory behind this statement. Are you saying it's logical to conclude that the rise of Nazism had to do with too much free speech?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Germany is so afraid of being called Nazis again, that they're willing to act like Nazis to prevent it from happening.

Exactly what I've been thinking for some time. Was wondering if it was only me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I can say I can understand if they do.

After WWII, the Germans at least acknowledged their demons. They also were probably worried that they may not have exorcised them all. So they felt the need to impose restrictions on certain forms of expression. Would that fly here? Never. But we didn't spawn something like the NaziS that were responsible for the deaths of something like 40,000,000 people.

While it's true that it's their country and they can do whatever they want, the push to ban speech in response to Nazism is no more logical than blaming the gun for a murder. It's illogical, stupid, counterproductive and likely to lead to exactly what they are trying to avoid.

The remedy to bad or controversial speech is more speech - rational and logical speech. Trying to control thoughts and the expression of ideas only makes them more attractive and people curious to see and hear them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Germany is so afraid of being called Nazis again, that they're willing to act like Nazis to prevent it from happening.

Well said.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post