SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV replacement time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV replacement time Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
our couple-years-old TV finally took its last crap after never working right & the 'Customer Service' never actually succeeding in making it work properly; but enough of that-------

Will not be looking for another 'V' brand; don't need/want 'smart tv' but HD would be nice;

something in 24-30" is plenty;

Samsung seems promising; local non-Black Friday sales list a world of choices for under $200;

1) Is there really a point in waiting a few weeks to the 'BF' sales event?

2) Is there really any *extra good* choice for either picture quality or purchase price among the top 4 or 5 brands?

3) are the off-brands sold by such as BiMart etc worth the seeming 'bargain price'?

4) Is it worth joining Costco these days just for the TV price? Member years ago now without need for the extra-sized packaging style.

This isn't a 'home theater' use.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I too will be watching this thread, as it's time to replace our Sony "WEGA".

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
always google-fu to help define my own question:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/buying-guide/

seems quite helpful

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I usually buy off brands. Recently bought 2 Hisense brand tvs from Sam's, a 65" for $600 and a 50" for $350. Both are 4k smart tvs and work well. After I bought them I found out they were mfg by same company that makes Sharp brand. Also have had a Seiki 39" for years that I bought from Newegg comparatively cheap. Works great. Hardest thing about no names is getting a code to set the cable box remote.

I expect there will be BF deals of 40" delivered for under $200 and 50 " for not much more.

Edit to add: Just checked Black Friday ads and Best Buy has a 50" Sharp 4K smart tv for $179 as a black Friday in store special. Open at 5pm Thursday.

https://bestblackfriday.com/ads

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 55" TCL. Should be shipping soon. They are getting good reviews on Amazon.

Here is a 32" one that fits your budget.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...d_al_bw_c_x_2_w?th=1

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll usually be limited to 720p if smaller (usually around 32-35"). I'd recommend at least 1080 resolution if at all possible - this will usually coincide with better electronics in the unit. Also, look for the refresh rate. If you can find 240 refresh, you'll be set for active views.

Samsung is still pretty much one that you use to compare other units. While mine is from right after the ATSC conversion (9 years old now), it is still running pretty well.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Almost every TV now is a smart TV, it doesn't really have an effect on the price from what I've seen. But you can just choose not to use that part.

How big is the room that the TV is going to be in? You may think you don't need a bigger TV, however one might fit in the room just fine and you'll realize how much better/easier to see it is.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
A lot of TVs are manufactured by a contractor company and then sold under different names. I just got my daughter at 55" Hisense 4k, and it is really good, especially for the price.

Another heads ups, if you are a military vet, you can now order on-line at military exchanges. Here are some TVs fitting the OP's request at the military exchange:

https://www.shopmyexchange.com..._/N-809564515+103770

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
You'll usually be limited to 720p if smaller (usually around 32-35"). I'd recommend at least 1080 resolution if at all possible - this will usually coincide with better electronics in the unit. Also, look for the refresh rate. If you can find 240 refresh, you'll be set for active views.

Samsung is still pretty much one that you use to compare other units. While mine is from right after the ATSC conversion (9 years old now), it is still running pretty well.

At his size 720p is perfectly fine you can't tell 720 from 1080 that small except when you are four feet away.

I'd go with current model 32"ish Samsung. Should be right at $200.

OP, are you hooking up Blu-ray player to it? If not check your cable provider and see if you are even getting 1080p signal. If not and no Blu-ray you are wasting money on the 1080.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth...

A couple of years ago, I replaced a dead Samsung (after 5+ years of excellent performance) with a $500 Vizio rather than the comparable $1,000 Samsung.

I have regretted not spending the extra $$ on the Samsung and when I recently bought a second TV, I went with Samsung. No complaints.

The Vizio has electrical issues (mysterious power-off and other random gremlins requiring shutdown/restart) as well as a particularly weak set of built-in speakers which are occasionally cranked up to near maximum depending on source.

I would not buy another Vizio.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not buy another Vizio.

add focused profanity as effort to convey EXTREME displeasure with both the product AND the .......'customer service'...... and I agree with this very statement;

no blu-ray; no .mil credentials;

have been reading various sites on 'best models' etc.....my techno-speak has been dormant a few years as most of the advantages of why I should buy a certain model are lost on my Luddite roots. Nearly all those important aux. input/output/extra device stuff are wasted as I don't have & won't be getting any.

Found a nice RCA 24" locally at $129 with decent picture qualities; it has undesirable 4 legs rather than center-post shelf mount.

Small room, limited space. As nice as 30+ might seem, simply too much for the available spacial circumstance.

Will be making the 'in person' shopping trip soon.

I was looking at the giant screens next to the humble 720 small 24" class, couldn't really see all that much to lure me into $800 set vs the $125 size.

Appreciate the links & comments.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Our old Toshiba lasted over 15 years. We were forced to buy a 'smart' TV and chose a 4K Vizeo that lasted just over 2 years. We replaced it with a Samsung 4K that we haven't had quite two years and so far, so good.

We don't use any of the smart features and frankly, I wish I could have located just a plain TV like our old Toshiba but nowadays, those aren't to be had.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

something in 24-30" is plenty;

This isn't a 'home theater' use.

I replaced a set that size (I think ours is a 24") a year or two ago for our downstairs family room, and after shopping around and comparing picture quality, I went with a LG, which was not on my list of brands I was initially interested in, but side-by-side picture quality was much better than the others' the shelf at Best Buy and a couple other stores I visited. It's been a great set, no complaints, very pleased, very reasonably priced.

Should've done it long ago, but that damn RCA set we bought in 1988 just...wouldn't...die. It became a bit of a contest, to see just how long it would last vs. how long we could stand not having a high-def picture... but after 27 years we finally threw it in the towel and told the RCA that it won. Its prize was being dumped at the local Goodwill.

If it ever goes out, one of these days I'm going to need to replace the much larger set we have upstairs -- a 50"ish Toshiba plasma set I bought a dozen years ago. It, too, though, just keeps on plugging along. I don't know if we'll go with LG for that one -- don't know if the great picture we're experiencing w/ the smaller set extends to larger sets or not -- but I'm sure going to check 'em out.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy A Samsung, AND go bigger.....you can get almost a 50" for around $500. Get 1080p and at least 120 HZ

Nov 17-27 Costco has a 40" Samsung HD LED tv 120hz for $299.99 and a 49" 4k Samsung 12- hz for $399.99.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our new house outside Seattle in 2006 I bought 3 then top of the line Sharp Aquos Tv's, a 55" and 2 42". Moved 2 of the 3 cross country to Texas and then moved them again three years ago when we bought our current home. They still run perfectly and have fantastic pictures.

I am surprised when some of you seem pleased that you got 5 years use from a TV.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Costco warrantee and customer service are second to none. They have good prices too.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Also in the market and I will be going the Costco/Samsung route. Will be using the Costco credit card because you get an additional 2 yrs on the warranty.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good timing on this thread. Our 42" Panasonic stopped working tonight with what looks like a dead power supply.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Black Friday sales I would just go for a 55” 4K. Samsung is advertising 40% off.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Situation all resolved. Have on hand 28 inch LG for $140. No smart nothing. Excellent picture. Fits the room it's in. Thank you everybody for your input

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~