SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gunmaker Remington faces default as Americans buy fewer firearms
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker Remington faces default as Americans buy fewer firearms Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Maybe they will sell off Marlin to someone who will make it great again!

Wouldn't that be nice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really is a shame.
When I was growing up, the only thing my father ever really wanted for was a Remington 870 Wingmaster.

The problem was we didn't have the money but he would never admit that is why he never got one. He always used/settled for his beloved H+R single shot 12 gauge with a 28 or 30 barrel.

When I got older I finally bought him one, and you thought he one the lottery.

He also has a 700BDL in 30.06.
To him, Colt 1911 Remington 870 and 700 and the M14 he carried in Vietnam were the only weapons worth having.

He does have an awesome bolt action Marlin in 22 magnum.

To me it is a shame that the company has slid down the hill like they have. But as other members have stated,the stuff they are rolling off the line is junk, and the quality control is horrendous. Plus they are still charging horrendous prices.

There goes the Remington Sendero (in 25.06) I always pined after but never really needed.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their innovation has sucked. Hard.

.22 autoloaders. The Nylon 66's were awesome. So they abandoned them. They came out with the 597 - a POS. They can't make a magazine that works in it and the trigger sucks. Ruger continues to lead in this arena with their classic 10/22.

The 870. A classic but getting long in the tooth. They dumbed it down to compete with Mossberg on price. Out of left field comes Benelli with an innovative pump, the Nova. Remington counters with the 887 - a POS.

Remington's value line bolt rifles they keep taking stabs at suck compared to what Savage has been able to bring out.

It just goes on and on.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fuck Remington and their shitty products.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

MMGA!

Now there's another acronym I'd support.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
They used to have a big plant in upstate NY east of Syracuse, last I knew they had moved production down south (AL?).

Yeah, they're here in Huntsville, AL. I originally wanted / tried to go to work for them but then decided I didn't want my name associated with theirs, no matter how bad I needed a job. I'd just find employment elsewhere... That's pretty darned bad, huh?

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
...“continued softness in consumer demand for firearms,”

I'm sure the Remington execs and decision makers like that terminology, because it tends to deflect any responsibility from them. Of course everyone on Sig Forum knows the truth.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Wouldn't that be nice.

Wouldn't that be nice. A solid family owned company would be wonderful

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago Smith & Wesson was in the same boat. I believe that the shield and their 22 AR’s basically righted the ship. All it takes is a couple of winners. Now they are releasing good product after good product. The 2.0 M&P’s are a perfect example. The problem with Remington is that they don’t listen to their base. We want quality 870’s and are willing to pay more but instead they keep putting out crap. Not only that they take over good company’s like Marlin and Rohrbaugh and turn them into crap. If they could simply put out one good product that people actually want it would make all the difference. Or at least get back to basics and make quality tried and true classics like the 870 Wingmaster.

Say what you will about Springfield but at least they try to be innovative and their 1911’s just keep getting better. Colt is probably hiring financially but at least they are making good 1911’s again. At best that RP9 thing from Remington can try and usurp the Hipoint market. That gun was designed from the ground up as a cost cutting measure. They made it huge so the same frame and slide could work with 9mm, 40, and 45. When start off with that mentally the outcome will inevitably be shit.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I graduated from college in my neck of the woods Remington had a lock on the auto and pump shotguns. Their 870’s and 1100 were selling like hot cakes, my dad had a 1100 in 12 & 20 gauge I had a 12 gauge ( we both bought extra barrels in improved cylinder for quail, used the modified barrel for dove, squirrels, rabbits and deer) I also bought 870’s in 12 and 20 gauge, actions were super slick, killed a bunch of quail and dove with them.
The last 870 that I saw was crap and the reviews on on other Remington shotguns from the last several years have not been good.
Sad to watch a company that was once great go down .

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

This, in spades. Remington has all but ruined the Marlin name with their disastrous handling of specifically the lever action line. The only Remlin I own, or will ever own, had to be heavily customized to make it right.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So if they are sitting on piles of unwanted guns why have I been waiting for a pair of apolocevline 870’s since JUNE??

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Remington is on the hook for that kind of money after 8 years of very high gun sales plus large military sales and contracts since 9/11. Should have had money in the bank. Just shows you they are ran by dip shits.

Growing up in the 1960s and 70s I was a big Remington fan. The 700s and 870 were very popular back in those days in my state. I almost can't belive some of the junk they were shipping out by the late 1990s.

One 700 I bought was stamped it was proof tested yet would not chamber a remington factory round. Before that another 700 had an .012 oversize chamber. Their warranty dept was so backed up one took 6 months to get back another took almost 10 months to get back.

Than there was this 597. The barrel was canted 11 degrees nobody at remington had a problem shipping this POS.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remington is like Colt in the sense that the brand name is simply too big to die. Remington may declare bankruptcy, then re-emerge as a shadow of its already shadow self.

The Remington brand name will still be put on things, but I'm glad that the newest Remington shotguns I own were made in 1994- a folding stock 870P and an 11-87P. The guns they make now- they're nothing like these fine scatterguns from a generation ago.

You couldn't pay me to take a newly-made Remington firearm.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In a sense, that may just be their best bet at this point. They've got a brand that will remain valuable in the Remington name and they've got new production facilities in Alabama. Maybe this would be a good time for a hiatus until they can put together the engineering and manufacturing crews to make Remington impressive again. Or, I suppose, sell it to someone who will.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look how many times the Ithaca brand has changed hands since they folded. I had three Remington guns I thought were innovative and quality:
Nylon 66
Model 788
The 870 is a now lacking in quality and appearance. The other two went the way of the Dodo. The 66 was way ahead of its time. Who does the thinking at these companies?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Did Remington officially kill off the Para-Ordnance Brand?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Did Remington officially kill off the Para-Ordnance Brand?

kinda

actually I think Remington is or was owned by the Freedom Group and they bought and killed ParaOrd

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you know the electric guitar industry, Remington is like Gibson under Henry J. Buying up innovative companies and driving them into the ground. Quality issues on the bread and butter product, and disastrous introduction of products no one asked for or wanted.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they couldn’t have made a bunch of money in the last 8 years then I feel bad for them. But their quality has been less than amazing in that time as well. My best shotgun is a 60’s vintage wing master that is slicker than snot. I have several other 870 none newer than early 90s. Same with my 700s. Newest one is a 700p from the early 2000s. I think the police guns got a bit more attention my sporting 700s from the 70’s and 80’s are very nice. Unfortunately for big green I bought all of them used so they didn’t get the $$ On them. Used in better quality than new for less money is a tough sale.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post