SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Computer - OS is on HDD? How to move it to SDD?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Computer - OS is on HDD? How to move it to SDD? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You guys are making a lot harder then it needs to be.
Not terribly difficult to move to SSD.

Just create a migration boot disk with the software utility of your choice boot and clone the drive ( the ssd must be blank ) then shutdown, disconnect the original drive and boot to the new drive.
Then reconnect the original drive but make sure (Check BIOS) that you are booting to the SSD then, boot then reformat the original drive as use as utility or as you wish.

Still Confused

And if you wish to do a full install (and abandon the procedure above) then the software is located here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...ftware-download/home

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I don't know the Alienware machines at all but there's a good chance the SSD is the M.2 variety, and not a 2.5" drive. Also, is it possible that SSD is configured as a "boost"/cache drive?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Samsung SSD it came with a utility for moving the operating system to the drive. I can't even remember exactly what I did except "follow the prompts".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nuke and Pave is analogous to changing the oil in your vehicle, a necessary pain in the balls that you do periodically which helps the whole thing run better.

If you have a computer and it has programs you like and need, do yourself a favor and make sure you set aside the install files for everything, such that Nuke and Pave is trivial.

Further, back up your photos and favorites and other shit regularly.

This holds true whether it's a new computer, a new hard drive, or just because it's running sluggishly. Not doing so is just asking for random troubles.

Cloning partitions just to avoid Nuke and Pave is a bandaid that ought to be left for emergencies, and not considered a standard or much less a Best Practice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nuke and Pave is analogous to changing the oil in your vehicle, a necessary pain in the balls that you do periodically which helps the whole thing run better.

Nuke and Pave is more actually analogous to not having the technical ability to solve the problem.
However, it should be noted that in some cases this method might be most expeditious.
It is in no way a preferred alternative to block level copy aka clone.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post