SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight-loss, Concealed Carry, and Suspenders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight-loss, Concealed Carry, and Suspenders Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I've dropped 10% of my bodyweight this year, and will theoretically reach my weight-loss goal about Thanksgiving. The good news is that with my favorite cargo shorts I can IWB carry a P239 with an IWB reload. Quite a difference from Christmas when I was contemplating going up a size just to wear without a gun.

However, the problem that I'm running into is that I have more weight to lose in my belly than my buttocks which is making it problematic to keep my pants up (i.e. belly still pushed down belt and too much butt erosion to keep belt up). I have both Armour and Beltman gun belts so belt quality is not the issue.

I typically CCW with a undershirt tucked in and either an untucked button-up shirt or t-shirt to conceal everything. I was thinking that I could wear suspenders over my undershirt but under my concealment shirt so it wouldn't look funny.

I used the search function and see references to Perry suspenders. It looks like they clip to the bottom side of the belt. I have a few questions:
  • Will the clips fit Armour and Beltman gun belts?
  • Which is more comfortable, the 2" width or the 1.5" width?
  • Any other brand to consider besides Perry?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Perry all the way. And the clips fit my heaviest belts easily. I use Nexbelt and Hanks for my gun belts. I use both 1.5 and 2 inch, depending on the gun I carry that day. 1911 is 2 inch and lighter artillery is 1.5 inch.
    I order directly from Perry off their website. Good folks to deal with.
    I often wear mine over a lightweight t-shirt and under a loose polo and no one is the wiser.
    A close fitting OWB holster is a must.
    Most of my polos come from Duluth Trading as their fit is a little looser.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, Perry. They do clip to the bottom of the belt.

You can find them in the men's section Walmart where they are branded as Dickies / Perry. Much less costly there, than on the Perry website.

Suggest that you try a pair from Walmart, then if you like them, you can get nicer ones from Perry, although I wear mine under my outer untucked shirt, so nobody sees them anyway.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    On that subject, to counter the buttocks erosion, and help the body with building muscle and shedding fat, start doing squats and lunges. Squats suck, and I hate leg day, but it’ll give you the necessary buns to hold up a belt. =)

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    I lost my concealment roll!!! Eek

After shrinking my waist a great deal in the last 8 months, I've found it's a lot harder for me to hide a gun IWB. I lost my natural camouflage. Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    While I don't use them all the time, I do have a set of Perry suspenders that work well. I use them the same as you intend to, over the undershit/under the overshirt.

I can't remember which version I got, but I know it was the thicker, heavier-duty version. The clips work fine with my Beltman belts. Perry even says that the clips work better with thick belts. I don't know about Armour belts, though, as, from what I've seen (I have no firsthand experience with them), they are thicker than Beltman belts.

FWIW, the only times I use them is when I carry both gun and spare mag IWB. It seems that with my body that particular combo likes to bring the waist of my pants closer to the ground.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too old to run,
    too mean to quit!
    posted Hide Post
    I use work belt suspenders I bought at Lowe's. They are wider and spread the weight better than some narrower ones I have tried in the past.

Not to mention, price wise, they are very reasonable. And fully adjustable. The clips can attach to the pants, or to the belt. Not pretty, but given that they are always "under cover" it doesn't matter.

Edited to add:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-O...ip-Suspender/1091497

Ten bucks.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
    -Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jbcummings
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve never tried suspenders with the perry clips. I’m built much like what you are describing, though and i’ve Found that even with suspenders, there is going to be some “creep toward your feet”. As a result, I hitch fairly often. I’ve always wondered if the perry type hooks would get unhooked and leave me unsupported. In my case, minus the utility of the suspenders, it would be embarrassing and would certainly advertise that I’m carrying.

———-
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Velvet Voicebox
    posted Hide Post
    Been wearing suspenders for years. I wear Hold Up suspenders exclusively. link

I would wear an IWB holster or be on the job wearing a toolbelt, holdup suspenders kept my pants up with no problem. I like them much better then Perry suspenders.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I wear suspenders most of the time, go for wide and comfortable. I still wear a belt when appropriate, but it is always less comfortable, and I usually can't wait to go back to suspenders.

I am currently using Carhartt brand, but like most others I've tried, the clips aren't 100% reliable. They tend to slide off or release if snagged or caught on seat belts, counters, etc., even through other layers of clothing. Always having to stop and re-attach one. Not sure I like this level of reliability when used in conjunction with a weapon.

I have been considering going to something like the Welch brand at the link below. I also imagine there are issues with the buttons as well, but having the suspenders let go shouldn't be one of them.

https://www.davidmorgan.com/sh..._by_brand.php?mid=11

I also like the look of these. I had an old set of army suspenders of this style that I retrofitted with clips, and liked that they attached on the side instead of front and back.

https://www.davidmorgan.com/sh...k-trucker-suspenders

Edited to add: Hmm. Just noticed these, might be another idea, look very adaptable. Might be easy to change out an old pair from clips to Velcro...

https://www.davidmorgan.com/sh...ic-safety-suspenders

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    I know you're looking for suspenders, but this might be a viable option that'll be adjustable as you lose weight...

https://www.crossbreedholsters...o-1-fallback-nosto-2

Crossbreed Modular Belly Band Package

I wore this under some dress slacks/button down shirt and sport jacket one night. It was very comfortable.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks all. I have a pair of 2" Perry's on order.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Beancooker:
    On that subject, to counter the buttocks erosion, and help the body with building muscle and shedding fat, start doing squats and lunges. Squats suck, and I hate leg day, but it’ll give you the necessary buns to hold up a belt. =)

That may be why I've never experienced the OP's problem. My diet and my workout schedule go hand-in-hand. And, yeah: One day a week is leg day. I hate leg day. Everybody hates leg day. But it's necessary.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post