SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm getting laid off. Kind of..sort of...maybe

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I'm getting laid off. Kind of..sort of...maybe Login/Join 
posted
I started a new job in a new field (public safety) just under a year ago. It was full time but on an "auxiliary" level, which means that I get full-time hours but I'm not permanent full time and can be laid off any time. But unofficially they keep me working.

I endured the learning new computer programs, getting to know co-workers, and finally feel like I'm an integral part of the team.
I was encouraged to apply for a permanent position in the office. I applied and within a week my boss told me forget it, that position was being eliminated. Not enough money in the budget to hire anybody on a permanent basis.

But don't worry, because I'd still work full time hours, just not as a permanent employee with benefits. They said they never lay people off, and there's an abundance of work. Okay, no sweat. I trust my manager, he goes to bat for his employees and he's great.

I noticed that he's going to meetings a lot with his bosses, and the conference calls I overhear sound bleak.

I start to see the writing on the wall - that things don't look good for me. I kept my head down and kept plugging away, but secretly I've been in talks with my financial adviser to ensure that I can liquidate some funds if there's any gap in my employment.

There's another auxiliary employee at my office, a woman with kids who takes a ferry and commutes in. She's really great at her job, and it shows some serious imitative that she comes from so far away to do the job.

Our office decided that out of our two positions, they could hire ONE person - for part-time work. We both applied and somehow I secretly wished she'd get it over me. Not that I don't want the job, but she's got more experience than me, and also she's got dependents and whatnot, whereas I would be financially OK for a long time if I get let go.

We both interviewed against each other, and against people from elsewhere, and somebody from another office got hired, he interviewed better.

I asked my manager what this means for me - he'll try to keep me for the time being, and try to find another office at which I would be able to work. But there's no guarantees, no timeframe and I can't get a straight answer.

I can literally walk in any day and be told to pack up my stuff and go home.

Financially I'm OK to weather a very long time if need be. I've been blessed, and have a lot in investments and savings. I'm more worried about my co worker with the kids.
I also wish I'd at least know whether I will have my job there.

Looks like time to get the ol' resume out, just in case. Smile

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you my man, at least you are prepared. So many people are taken by surprise and get financially wrecked by something like this.

It sounds like you have the right attitude, which will definitely help you find some new work if and when you need it.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's time to start looking for something a bit more solid.

Unless you are in a position with a very firm foundation, I think you should always have a backup plan for employment opportunities.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
In this situation is to start a second job called finding a job.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Sounds like it's time to start looking for something a bit more solid.

Unless you are in a position with a very firm foundation, I think you should always have a backup plan for employment opportunities.

I agree with this. It sounds to me that you really want the woman with kids to have the job if there's only one. Try to find an equivalent or better job at another firm. If you do, then the woman with kids retains hers and your boss doesn't have to make a tough decision. If not, stick it out till the end.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good luck my friend. I can tell by your attitude and perspective you will be successful. Either where you are or at the next opportunity. You have already succeeded and a prayer for continued success in the future. Sincerely, orc.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I always felt it's easier/better to be looking and get another job while you are employed.....best wishes in moving forward.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I admire your attitude and concern for the woman with kids. It says a lot about you and your character.

Good luck to you and your future.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post