SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cancer breakthrough: Scientists discover Achilles' Heel of tumors
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cancer breakthrough: Scientists discover Achilles' Heel of tumors Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Let’s hope. Many “revolutionary therapies” litter the dustbin of history.

“Scientists have identified the Achilles' Heel of cancerous tumors, forcing the disease-spreading cells to over-stress and self-destruct.

Experiments showed blocking a specific protein that fuels tumors kills them off.

The technique worked on a range of human forms of the disease and mice with bowel and blood cancer.

What's more there are already drugs that block the chemical called ATF4 - offering hope of the fast-tracking of a revolutionary therapy…”

https://mol.im/a/7201205

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the ol’ cancer breakthrough routine. What? No address or site to send money? Lemme know in a year where this one went. And yes, I am a cancer survivor.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Ah yes, the ol’ cancer breakthrough routine. What? No address or site to send money? Lemme know in a year where this one went. And yes, I am a cancer survivor.
Why do you think there will never be cures for various cancers in the future? Im interested in why you have doubts in discovery and better treatment or cures.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Why do you think there will never be cures for various cancers in the future? Im interested in why you have doubts in discovery and better treatment or cures.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Cures, cut off the money pipeline.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Cures, cut off the money pipeline.

I feel the same way. There is more money in cancer research than there will likely be in the actual cure.

For all those with cancer, I hope I am wrong.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I'm pushing 50yrs old and they have been touting for nearly as long as I can remember that "we are so close". Define close, 1-5yrs, 50-100yrs?

I hate this disease. My grandmother died from it, my wife's father and now it is after her mother. It's an awful way to go.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
fake news

I am a cancer survivor. My uncle died of Leukemia, my youngest cousin died of brain cancer. We have about a dozen cancer survivors in my family alone.

I do not believe there will ever be a 'cure' found because there is too much money to be made in management and treatment. You find a cure, or a vaccine and the money train derails.

Pharma will never, ever let a cure for cancer be found as long as they want to stay in business.

You don't need to be a 'scientist' to figure out that the Achilles heel is the pharmaceutical industry itself

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I'm pretty cynical, but that's one helluva conspiracy theory.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Oh it’s definitely a vast conspiracy. I work in biopharm. Every scientist out of school has the dream of curing cancer. But we hire them and take them to the brain wash room. And manipulate them into only wanting to make the company rich. Also the billions we spend researching cures for diseases we already treat (and make tons of money on), that’s just a front so people don’t notice the conspiracy.

Oh and the high drug prices, also a conspiracy to make tons of cash off the sick. I mean it’s not like a pound of sugar costs us $1000 because of all the testing required. It’s not like one disposable purification column cost $100,000 and is one step in the process for making drugs that aren’t even marketed yet. (Do I need a sarcasm emoji?)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have been pursuing a cure for cancer for many years. When I was 10, my friend was diagnosed with leukemia. We all knew it was a death sentence. Today, most children diagnosed with the disease survive, as well as many adults. Significant progress has been made. But, there are always conspiracy theorists and haters who want to control the behavior of others.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We hear this stuff at least once a year, and then it goes nowhere. It's the truth. It's not hard to figure out why they make such pronouncements to the publc. Not hard at all.

They should be ashamed of themselves for being such whores and for giving people false hope, but the thought of it won't even cross their minds, not for one single second.

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
It would be a wonderful thing if a cure were found. Like I said, I had the disease. My biggest issue is all the horn blowing and fanfare that is touted as the “big breakthrough”, and then it disappears from the headlines never to be seen again. Maybe it is a positive incremental step, but the miracle cures and big breakthroughs give a lot of false hopes, only to disappear like a morning mist. I don’t see how this is a conspiracy theory, it is a fact that is repeated in the media every so often. And why some people take this personally is beyond me.

We all know that research and experimentation is necessary, but don’t tell us the next cure is just over the next hill. It might have worked on a primate or a lab rat, but don’t raise false hopes at this early stage.

As far as the comments defending the high costs of meds, we have seen prime examples of Epi pen prices going through the roof, and other meds whose price is set at the whims of the manufacturer. We see examples of this on the news.

I do exercise my right to free speech here. I make a comment and someone makes it personal. My response: tough shit if you don’t like my comments. I’ve been on the planet nearly 70 years. I have seen a lot of great things that benefit humanity, and have seen things which make me skeptical. (rant off)

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Oh it’s definitely a vast conspiracy. I work in biopharm. Every scientist out of school has the dream of curing cancer. But we hire them and take them to the brain wash room. And manipulate them into only wanting to make the company rich. Also the billions we spend researching cures for diseases we already treat (and make tons of

money on), that’s just a front so people don’t notice the conspiracy.

Oh and the high drug prices, also a conspiracy to make tons of cash off the sick. I mean it’s not like a pound of sugar costs us $1000 because of all the testing required. It’s not like one disposable purification column cost $100,000 and is one step in the process for making drugs that aren’t even marketed yet. (Do I need a sarcasm emoji?)

I knew it! Thanks for being a courageous whistle blower.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The conspiracy to suppress the "miracle drug" would also require the coordination of all the drug manufacturers. Sure, there's money being made in treatment, but can you imagine the profit for the one company that actually patented the "cure" or vaccine?

I think it's just a damn tough problem to solve. Many different diseases, different host responses, etc.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
One of my rads recommended this book. It was a good look into the historical treatments and research of the disease. It also goes into some detail of the incredible challenge of fighting "cancer" since it's not really a single or even a few profiles of disease. Instead it's many, many different specifics and they are also incredibly adept at adapting. Daunting and depressing, but interesting read!

The Emperor of All Maladies

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
One of my rads recommended this book. <snip>

What are “rads”? Maybe I’m slow today…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
One of my rads recommended this book. <snip>

What are “rads”? Maybe I’m slow today…

Radiologists.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
fake news

I am a cancer survivor. My uncle died of Leukemia, my youngest cousin died of brain cancer. We have about a dozen cancer survivors in my family alone.

I do not believe there will ever be a 'cure' found because there is too much money to be made in management and treatment. You find a cure, or a vaccine and the money train derails.

Pharma will never, ever let a cure for cancer be found as long as they want to stay in business.

You don't need to be a 'scientist' to figure out that the Achilles heel is the pharmaceutical industry itself

I’m sorry but that cynical view in the field of medicine does not stand up.MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
everyone has the opportunity to get cancer

no one is immune

I get that

to me while cancer is insidious, I'd love to see a treatment or a cure for Alzheimer's - to me that is the absolute worst possible nightmare

but everyone has their own pet disease - this is mine because I'm likely to develop it due to family history

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
I have done drug development for the better part of 30 years and have worked on a number of cancer related products. I have also lost loved ones to cancer. Once you understand that "cancer" is not one disease but rather an almost infinite number, the picture changes. Every human is unique (e.g. DNA, epigenetic expression, health status, etc), every tumor has unique attributes that vary in time and space, every cell in every tumor potentially has unique attributes that can adapt and respond like any living thing to any "treatment". Metastatic tumors are by far the worst. That being said, all you have to do is look at the 5 year survival rates for many cancers and how they have changed over the last 30 year and you will see that we have made substantial progress. Personally, I don't think there will ever be a "cure" that works in every case. However, as we continue to learn more about the metabolic nature of various cancers we will get much better at detecting and managing those rouge cells we call cancer.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post