SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cancer breakthrough: Scientists discover Achilles' Heel of tumors
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cancer breakthrough: Scientists discover Achilles' Heel of tumors Login/Join 
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
fake news

I am a cancer survivor. My uncle died of Leukemia, my youngest cousin died of brain cancer. We have about a dozen cancer survivors in my family alone.

I do not believe there will ever be a 'cure' found because there is too much money to be made in management and treatment. You find a cure, or a vaccine and the money train derails.

Pharma will never, ever let a cure for cancer be found as long as they want to stay in business.

You don't need to be a 'scientist' to figure out that the Achilles heel is the pharmaceutical industry itself

Thank you !!
Exactly what I’ve been saying for Years !!

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I lost my dad to lung cancer this morning lost my sis to drug addiction 3/6 fuck 2019 it can go to hell. 1/2 my family this year fuck it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
I’m sorry but that cynical view in the field of medicine does not stand up.MG

Really? How would MG explain the fact that medical errors are the THIRD leading cause of death in America?

Sources: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/2...eath-in-america.html

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.or...e_of_death_in_the_us

https://www.forbes.com/sites/l...larmed/#51c89631653d

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
southernmaninla, prayers for you man, I'm sorry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot to say about disease and the medical profession. Being short on time this morning, this will have to do;....

I studied many viewpoints on cancer and other diseases when I was ill. A few years down the road, I happened on one of the proponents of a particular therapy in a round table discussion on TV. It was him against a rep from the FDA and another from the AMA.

They went back and forth as to credibility, etc, etc. Finally, the challenge was thrown on the table; let's test it using a neutral third party. The conventional guys just smiled and backed down. They never accept the challenge since they have so much to lose.

They ALWAYS back down when it comes to objectively testing an idea.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
lets also remember in this mix that Pharma essentially is able to expense just about everything they do under the Treasury regs for Research and Experimentation

salaries, supplies, equipment and materials...and one of the tests for the R&E is the risk of failure

so yes, they're spending great amounts of money, they're also writing off great amounts of money with deferred income totaling likely in the billions over several years (of course it varies by company but they're all playing the same game)

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sure there is corporate greed, in lots of industries. But these conspiracy theories are asinine. Just about every person in pharma has been affected by cancer. The CEO, the scientist, the manufacturing guy. Does anyone really think these people are supressing cancer cures? These people get cancer too.

Anyhow, as to cost of drugs, there is greed but you'd be amazed at the costs we incur. We have more Quality people than manufacturing people, just to keep up with regulations.

As to why these stories pop up every year, that's simple. These are usually small time start up companies that need funding to research. We see breakthrough type results for all kinds of diseases all the time. But once the mouse dies it's pretty much over.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Sure there is corporate greed, in lots of industries. But these conspiracy theories are asinine. Just about every person in pharma has been affected by cancer. The CEO, the scientist, the manufacturing guy. Does anyone really think these people are supressing cancer cures? These people get cancer too.

Exactly. Most Everyone is affected by cancer in some way. To think that scientists would actually suppress a cure is silly. I can see the reasoning behind it, but not only drug companies are working on cures.

As others have said, all cancer isn’t the same, there’s way too many variations to have one cure. Maybe one day, but unfortunately I don’t think anytime soon.

I don’t think drug companies make a ton of cash on chemo and most cancer related drugs anyway. I just lost my dad to cancer and pretty much all the money goes to the care that the hospital provides.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think there are several other maladies that will find 'cures' before cancer ever does

bionic eyes and ears would help so much with such rampant deafness and blindness

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think cancer will be cured in the child's lifetime.

Right now we are using an elephant to stomp on a flea to fight cancer. Lots of collateral damage to kill the cancer.

As we get down to understanding at the molecular level and the genetic level we will be able to kill the cancer cells without killing healthy cells.

They will find a way to stop the protein interactions within the cancer cell and what the cancer cell uses to hide from the immune system.

Genome sequencing went from costing billions to under a thousand per run.

I think they will eventually find a way to custom kill everyone's individual cancer.

We are chipping away over time.

The cancer death rate for men and women combined fell 23% from its peak in 1991 to 2012, the most recent year for which data is available, translating to more than 1.7 million deaths averted during this time period.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I think cancer will be cured in the child's lifetime.

Right now we are using an elephant to stomp on a flea to fight cancer. Lots of collateral damage to kill the cancer.

As we get down to understanding at the molecular level and the genetic level we will be able to kill the cancer cells without killing healthy cells.

Yep. The chemo killed my dad.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Yep. The chemo killed my dad.

And THAT was the conversation I was afraid to have with my oncologist. I DONT WANT TO DIE FROM THE TREATMENT!

As mentioned, he listened and made several good recommendations (including reducing the dosages to minimize dangerous side effects).

James

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James in Denver,

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just lucky but my doctors truly seem to be interested in me and what is best for me and I am part of the conversation. My oncologist sent me to a interventional radiologist who went over my records and CT Scan with me. He said he could do the Y90 radioembolization procedure but he said there are minor risks involved and at my stage he felt injection drug therapy would be better. Gee he could have said "let's do this" and collected that big payday for a couple hours work. My oncologist said we could wait and watch or start drug therapy down and explained the pros and cons of both to get me invlved in the decision.

I don't believe for a second that there is a conspiracy to prevent cures or better treatments, diagnostics for cancer. As new drugs and treatments come along the obsolete ones become a thing of the past. I have seen that already in my case with the latest diagnostic imaging procedures having made the older much much more expensive gold standard obsolete while the new procedure costs a fraction of the price with superior results.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We cant even stop the common cold/flu yet. I think a definitive cancer cure is a long way off. You may stop one chain of the disease but im sure another will adapt and mutate causing another issue.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
As others have said, all cancer isn’t the same, there’s way too many variations to have one cure.

This is what I always think about whenever someone mentions >a< cure for cancer as if the diseases were something like Ebola or plague that has a single cause and mechanism. How similar, for example, are leukemia and a brain tumor?

That doesn’t mean, however, that treatments and even cures can’t be developed for some forms of cancer, and perhaps for all of them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Ah yes, the ol’ cancer breakthrough routine. What? No address or site to send money? Lemme know in a year where this one went. And yes, I am a cancer survivor.
Why do you think there will never be cures for various cancers in the future? Im interested in why you have doubts in discovery and better treatment or cures.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Cures, cut off the money pipeline.

Im not usually a “conspiracy” guy, but I believe this completely. Scumbags.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Looks like some definite progress here.

“A revolutionary drug that works like a guided missile to kill off tumour cells could transform cancer treatment for thousands of British patients.
……
NHS scientists trialling the ground-breaking medicine predict it could offer a precious lifeline to seriously ill patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma – a type of cancer that affects the immune system – who have failed to get better on any existing treatments. Some have gone into complete remission, meaning there is no sign of the cancer in their bodies.

‘The early results are very promising,’ says Professor John Radford, director of research at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester, where the drug is being tested.

‘And we are talking about patients with very few options left. For a drug to be this effective in patients who have not responded to other treatments is quite special. We didn’t know if they would even find it tolerable, let alone if it would work, so these results are very exciting…”

https://mol.im/a/7244163

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Shhh …. You’ll make the nay-sayers feel bad.
I really don’t understand the joy so many people get from being cynical about thing like this. Is it possible, or even likely, that the promise won’t be fulfilled? Of course; that’s true of innumerable things in life. But is it also possible that after countless dollars and years of research that an answer to one question at least will be found? Of course.

Whenever I wonder what it would be like to go back in time to when there were smaller crowds, less traffic, fewer laws and other restrictions on many facets of life, I then think, “Yeah, but what about medical care [and a few other things like cars]?” I was reminded of that just a couple of months ago when I had a hernia repaired by the “robotic” method. The first time I had such surgery was 23 years before and the difference in recovering from even such a minor procedure was dramatic. A friend recently had a kidney transplant, and I remember when that was hardly imagined, much less possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Shhh …. You’ll make the nay-sayers feel bad.
I really don’t understand the joy so many people get from being cynical about thing like this.

People thought the same about landing on the moon! Next thing you know, we’re driving dune buggy’som it and smacking golf balls. We made the moon our bitch.

posted Hide Post
Chemotherapy is only a couple of ingredients removed from Mustard Gas.

Radiation is primative.

Chopping off limbs and body parts - doing that in the 1800's.

I know there are some hard working healthcare professionals out there working day and night to help cancer victims - but how much progress do we really think has been made versus other aspects of our lives. (technology, electronics, automobiles, etc)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post