SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instant Pot Qs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant Pot Qs Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
A few days ago I bought my wife this Instant Pot on sale at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777XQ4S8/

It's the six-quart with WiFi.

Now they have the three-quart ULTRA on sale for $60: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777XZBMZ/

Any Instant Pot experts here who can tell me which is better? Realistically, most meals will be for the two of us, since the kids mostly eat nachos and corndogs. And the WiFi is cool, but not a necessity for me. So the big question I guess is whether we really need six-quarts and whether the ULTRA is better than the non-ULTRA.

TIA.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste my time on a 3 qt but then again I have two kids as well. The 6 qt is marginally big enough for our needs and doesn't result in large quantities of leftovers. Granted we don't fill ours to the top either. For example, I use it for hard boiled eggs. The entire bottom is filled with one dozen eggs. We make chicken thighs and saffron rice and I can get about 5-6 thighs in the bottom.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 qt would be really small. 6 qt is good for a small family. We have the 6 qt and usually have few leftovers between 3 of us. You can always downsize a recipe.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
6 qt is where it's at. My wife has really come to love the Instant Pot. It takes a while to figure out which dishes you really enjoy (Mississippi Pot Roast is ours), and what adjustments to make on cooking time for things like pasta.
My wife and a friend do meal-making sessions wherein they make 8-12 meals in one day, and freeze them for later consumption. It really works well.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a three quart.

But, we have six kids (well, they're ages 17 to 30), and if everyone comes home at the same time our eight quart suddenly becomes way too small... Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A 3 quart would be about right for a collage dorm. The two of us are happy with a 6 quart without a lot of left overs. Unless you plan on cooking for a crew of lumber jacks a 6 qt. model should do fine.
Incidentally, after you use it for a while it’ll be in the “pry it from my cold dead fingers” category of possessions. It’ll do everything, but whistle Dixie. Wink

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I have both a 3 qt and a 6 qt.

When it's just me and maybe one other person, the 3 qt is plenty - but then I don't like to eat the same leftovers for a week solid.

Having 2 does come in handy - I'll make rice in the 3 qt and other stuff to go with it in the 6 qt.

Now that my fiancee and her son have officially moved in, I'll more than likely pass the smaller one to my daughter who's in her final year in college.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,there seems to be a clear consensus. Will stick with the 6 qt.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have the 8 qt. I couldn't imagine what you would do with a 3 qt.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The 3 quart Instant Pot works great in this household of 2 people. If I was still cooking for the teenage boys, the 8 quart model would be on the counter. Whichever model you get, be ready for some good meals!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the wife's household appliance gift is done....

She's got 2 floor cleaning appliances this year, I think I'll change it up.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Thanks everyone,there seems to be a clear consensus. Will stick with the 6 qt.

Good move. And I'll bet you a dollar that within 6 months you'll either own another one or move up to the 8 quart. Having two seems to be a successful kitchen strategy for Mrs. 'Hook. Smile

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Can someone briefly explain what you do with an instant pot?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a 6qt Ultra.

I would NOT get one that is smaller. I thought the WiFi feature on the other unit was bull. I like the display/controls on the Ultra, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Can someone briefly explain what you do with an instant pot?

It's basically just a computerized pressure cooking pot. It is very straightforward to use, much easier than traditional pressure cookers. It's so easy you'll look for excuses to use it.

It tends to open a whole new world of pressure-cooking to the average cook. Food prepares quickly (though not really "instant"), and food tastes noticealby better when pressure cooked.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
We have the 6qt and the 3qt ULTRA. The benefit of the ULTRA over the other models is that you can set the altitude. That way the device calculates the added time for cooking, vice guessing. My wife finds that option helpful. We live at 6800' but if someone lived at sea level, that wouldn't be an issue.

She cooks, beans, soups, eggs, roasts. You name it, she uses it. It is a speed issue for her; she cooks all day, so saving a few minutes is useful.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We started with the 3 and moved to the 6. I like the flexibility of the larger one. I can make a pork butt in the 6.

Most recipes are written for the 6.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post