SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found some cool old sinks that need cleaning... best way?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found some cool old sinks that need cleaning... best way? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Any ideas on the best way to clean up the rust? One will be put to use as a hand washing sink in the back yard. The other will be built into a “mud kitchen” for the kiddos. I think they’re pretty cool for $10 each. Can anybody tell how old they are? They are cast iron.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
CLR or hydrogen peroxide, green scotch brite.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Had those in school. I'd guess the are from the 40s

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We have a guy resurfacing our ceramic shower or I should say he is covering it. But his FB page has a pic of a sink like that but 100 time worse than either of those. He refurbished it and the after pic was amazing.

I asked him about it when he was over looking at our project. He said one of his employees did it and he didn't go into the process but he said it's expensive to do it right and to preserve it.

These types of fixtures are making a come back you got a good deal at $10 a piece.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Ospho for the rust then reglaze or reseal it. It rusted through as the glaze is gone on the porcelain. To properly restore is way beyond its value. 400 or 600 wet/dry sandpaper for the scratches. You will be surprised at the improvement.
Did those come out of a commercial building? Those are self closing faucets, perfect for kids...

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Never cared for the separate taps. You get cold and you get hot, but nothing in between.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My parents had that exact sink and faucets in the bathroom when I was a kid in the early 60's.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
They are HEAVY.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. They ARE heavy. I’m not really concerned with a refurbishment really, and it’s not something I’ll spend money on. But if I can clean them up a little it’s worth a bit of elbow grease.

One won’t even have water going to it and the other will just have a cold only tapped from a nearby hose bib so the single sided faucet is fine. I think I’ll try and find a similar style drinking faucet for the hole on the other side. That would be most handy.

They came out of some ladies little warehouse where they have apparently been for years. Before that I have no idea.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hope you got the hangers that hold them on the wall.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I kin git you a deal on c.1928 two-piece toilets. And my buddy just tossed a 1946 toilet with original brass ballcock, flush elle, lift wires, lift wires guide arm, the whole thing. I asked him to at least bust the tank apart and save me the brass components for my diorama.

My next collecting binge? Pre-war brass toilet seat hinges.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Can anybody tell how old they are? They are cast iron. [QUOTE]

My grandparents home had that type of sink in the bathroom. I know their house was built in the 1920's. I have no idea if the sink was original to the home. But on the other hand they were not prone to replace anything that was still functional, so they may have been original. Cool sinks.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have the same sink in the 3rd floor maid's quarters of my house. The house was built in 1908.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I have the same sink in the 3rd floor maid's quarters of my house. The house was built in 1908.

Now that’s interesting.... I wonder if they were being manufactured for a long time.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Many of those old fixtures had a date cast in them. Take a close look underneath.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are DIY porcelain refinishing kits available. Spray or roll on

More of an xylene epoxy base product

Just a thought

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post