SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Forum Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Forum Advice Login/Join 
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OP,
you could just mow over the little bastages...

I can't think of any bad advice I've gotten from the forum...but there is ONE guy on my ignore list..

Oh, I do, Mike, but they look like a hundreds of weeds in my lawn and lawn weed killer does nothing. Amazing how determined the damn things are.

It's looking like I'm going to have hundreds of little oak bonzai trees in a couple years. Maybe it'll become another source of income.

If they're anything like the black walnut trees that sprout in my yard, they'll eventually stop coming back if you mow them over enough times.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
"That'll buff out".

Never ever the case. Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
No matter how sincere he seems, never take advice from a monkey...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ Bad advice alert. The monkey is trustworthy. The orangutan also provides good advice too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Untrue. If you don't turn off that giant red and yellow striped light switch thingy on the wall first, and wait for the go-ahead red light to start blinking, you could blow a 20A fuse.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "buy a Glock" thing. I have now bought at least 6 and have retained 3.
And I am not a Glock guy. Or wasn't.
Not actually bad advice, just costly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triclopyr 4 generic name.
Garlon 4 brand name.

Water soluble for tank mix (hand sprayer fine)

Will not hurt grasses. Will kill the oak saplings without harming the mature trees. If you have larger oaks mix it 50/50 in a hand sprayer bottle and hack and squirt into the tree.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad advice is far more entertaining than good advice. Especially when the person asking for advice has already made a descision on how to proceed and was just looking for some moral support to justify it.

Posts: 1802 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
jigray3, you are not thinking this through to the logical end.

Let every single one of the little acorns mature into trees. Then take each and every tax deduction allowed for farmers. After all, you are farming acorn trees, which are a vital food stuff for squirrels.

PIETA will honor you with a national award and plaster your face over countless billboards. Intelligent squirrels (the ones that can read) will cluster to your “farm” and then you can apply to become a National Wildlife Refuge” and receive millions in donations from all over the world.

Just think of the possibilities.

You are welcome.

PS: I expect a 10% cut on any profits and 0% of any possible blow-back.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh, I do, Mike, but they look like a hundreds of weeds in my lawn and lawn weed killer does nothing. Amazing how determined the damn things are.

It's looking like I'm going to have hundreds of little oak bonzai trees in a couple years. Maybe it'll become another source of income.

We have a company here in NC called Cardinal Chemical (I'm sure they have something like it near you) and I have used stuff called "CrossBow" to get rid of trees/vines etc in a cemetery...

it only works on broadleaf stuff and leaves grass alone (doesn't even brown it)

look around and see if that will work for you...

I used it to clear a cemetery here after cutting 90 trees down and removing them from the over 200 year old burial plot.

I'm interested in learning if this is good advice or poor advice. Cool

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
https://rochester.craigslist.o...eper/6262327191.html

Get one of these for your acorns. This brand or Case. They work extremely well.

Wonder how well those actually work on acorns.

Those things are hard to rake into piles, rows, to put them on tarps to haul away.

That is the only way we get rid of ours when we have another one of those bumper crop years.

Damned things are like walking on ball bearings.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I bought a Glock. Smile

And that is bad?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tell people that all the time and no one ever knows what I'm talking about. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:

Untrue. If you don't turn off that giant red and yellow striped light switch thingy on the wall first, and wait for the go-ahead red light to start blinking, you could blow a 20A fuse.

Is that also from the skit?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think for the most part people are pretty honest about sharing their qualifications to provide the advice they have given. There are some pretty smart people here, and there are some "old timers" who've figured a lot of life out. I've learned a lot from here, and try to offer genuine advice where I believe it can help. I also try to communicate any limits my advice may have in it's qualification.

Some people miss the jokes, some people have different experiences. Popcorn comes out occasionally. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any advice sought here that ended up being a bad decision. Only good ones, or friends who helped me see a problem from multiple angles. That's something I value, and appreciate...even if it's bad advice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

I tell people that all the time and no one ever knows what I'm talking about. Big Grin

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Elk, read through these comments http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=48227

I have heard from others that the Case/Ingersoll works very well. I do not know if the Sears, Parker, or others work as well. I do not have first hand knowledge on the sweeper.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
quote:

We have a company here in NC called Cardinal Chemical (I'm sure they have something like it near you) and I have used stuff called "CrossBow" to get rid of trees/vines etc in a cemetery...

it only works on broadleaf stuff and leaves grass alone (doesn't even brown it)

look around and see if that will work for you...

I used it to clear a cemetery here after cutting 90 trees down and removing them from the over 200 year old burial plot.

I'm interested in learning if this is good advice or poor advice. Cool

It depends. The active chemical in Crossbow is 2,4-D. It is deadly on most broadleaf plants and doesn't bother grass at all. It is one of the chemicals I can use on my pastures without killing the grass.

But.

It is a volatile chemical. You can spray it today in a no wind condition, it dries on the plant, and you think everything is ok. Then two days from now if conditions are right (humid, steam/fog, a little bit of wind) it can vaporize and travel several hundred yards. Now the cotton farmer across the road is pissed...

Something you can use that is almost as deadly as Crossbow is something called Remedy (brand name, not sure what the generic is). It is just about as good and won't travel like 2,4-D so you can spray close to (but not on) stuff you want to keep. It does cost a bit more but you can't have everything. Both chemicals can be purchased without an applicators license here in AL at your local co-op or feed store.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:

Is that also from the skit?

Nope. Forgot that old skit, many moons ago. Was erroneously giving credit to the monkey as an original saying. Mia culpa.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post