SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Forum Advice
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Forum Advice Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
This a a great place for good advice, but occasionally I read stuff that makes me wonder, and sometimes even wince.

Last fall I had a larger than normal number of acorns fall in my back yard, and asked the group, what was the best way to deal with it? A couple of folks suggested to just leave 'em be, claiming they'll add nutrients to the soil, so I gave it a shot. I expected some to sprout, but I ended up with hundreds of tiny saplings that show no signs of going away even now, and it looks pretty bad. So, I consider that bad advice. Next time, I'll get them up somehow.

Ever got bad advice from the forum that you tried?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

"Just call David Truong".

The service and product was great, better than any you'd get anywhere local or distant. However the fact that my wife now thinks she "has a jeweler in CA" is going to hurt me long term, I can tell!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was in need of a new anti-virus software and anti-malware software as the annual subscriptions for the two paid programs were ending. I made a post and a member steered me to 2 free products. Turns out the programs were both anti-virus, and my computer got taint punched with malware. It was a real PITA to fix it, and took many hours and outside help.

He's still a member and is on my ignore list.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Sometime around January of 2007 I came saying I found out my (ex)girlfriend was pregnant. Several said I ought to marry her.

Well I eventually did, on my own accord. As we know...that went to shit about 6 years later...

But for the record, there are some sadistic assholes around here Wink

I'll trade you for your friggin Oak Forest!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So how many deer did you shoot while they were eating the acorns? So any black bears?

You must have tilled the soil. If you think acorns are bad, try dealing with a neighbor that has a maple tree with all the helicopter seeds. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
If you think acorns are bad, try dealing with a neighbor that has a maple tree with all the helicopter seeds. Mad

Maple are nothing compared to Locust seeds. They have little hooks that lock them together as a mass in your rain gutters.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

The service and product was great, better than any you'd get anywhere local or distant. However the fact that my wife now thinks she "has a jeweler in CA" is going to hurt me long term, I can tell!

Big Grin Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Yep. Once when I was new here I got some advice that has cost me many thousands of dollars.

Fenris, you should try Sig Sauer. They make great handguns.

Nobody warned me about the addictive quality of Sigs.

>>>YOU DIRTY DOG BASTARDS<<<

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://rochester.craigslist.o...eper/6262327191.html

Get one of these for your acorns. This brand or Case. They work extremely well.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I personally have not. In fact, a recommendation somebody made for a head-mounted flashlight has turned out to be one of my favorite tools.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I was in need of a new anti-virus software and anti-malware software as the annual subscriptions for the two paid programs were ending. I made a post and a member steered me to 2 free products. Turns out the programs were both anti-virus, and my computer got taint punched with malware. It was a real PITA to fix it, and took many hours and outside help.

Surely this wasn't malicious. Confused

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That's bad. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
If the advice turns out to be bad then ask for a refund of what you paid for the advice.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP,
you could just mow over the little bastages...

I can't think of any bad advice I've gotten from the forum...but there is ONE guy on my ignore list..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I bought a Glock. Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Well that's one way to avoid responsibility for the decisions you make. Eek

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OP,
you could just mow over the little bastages...

I can't think of any bad advice I've gotten from the forum...but there is ONE guy on my ignore list..

Oh, I do, Mike, but they look like a hundreds of weeds in my lawn and lawn weed killer does nothing. Amazing how determined the damn things are.

It's looking like I'm going to have hundreds of little oak bonzai trees in a couple years. Maybe it'll become another source of income.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the Bad Advice is why I keep coming back. It is better than asking random people at the bus stop or members of my family.

Some of the bad advice is very entertaining. I only take the good advice and ignore the bad advice. Something that Will Rogers might suggest. LOL

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Someone once told me that free advice is worth what you pay for it. Eek

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
If the advice turns out to be bad then ask for a refund of what you paid for the advice.

Bwahahaha!

What's good about this forum is people are generally good intentioned and they really want to help you. Also, if there really is bad advice, there will be enough people to say it's bad advice.

Between all that, it's really up to you to figure out the best option which may included taking none of the advice.

I find the most reliable advice from threads here on things that I wasn't even considering, for example, there's a thread on back up software that I figure I'll switch to after some back up cleaning.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last fall I had a larger than normal number of acorns fall in my back yard, and asked the group, what was the best way to deal with it? A couple of folks suggested to just leave 'em be, claiming they'll add nutrients to the soil, so I gave it a shot. I expected some to sprout, but I ended up with hundreds of tiny saplings that show no signs of going away even now, and it looks pretty bad. So, I consider that bad advice. Next time, I'll get them up somehow.

This is a possibility for you. The University often has answers to this stuff.

https://ext.vt.edu/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post