SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police find large weapons cache in Waikiki raid prompted by disturbing online posts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Police find large weapons cache in Waikiki raid prompted by disturbing online posts Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) -
The FBI and Honolulu police are investigating after finding a large cache of loaded weapons during a raid of a Waikiki hotel room that sources say was prompted by disturbing posts on social media.

The arsenal included a high-powered rifle, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, and an assortment of other weapons.

But the man staying in the room wasn't arrested.

The FBI notified Honolulu police Thursday about a guest in room 803 at the Equus Hotel, saying he was claiming to be a federal agent in disturbing posts on social media.

The 38-year old claimed his mission was to hunt terrorist cells.

When police arrived at the Equus on Ala Moana Boulevard, sources say, they found an arsenal:

An AR-15, and 15 high-capacity magazines — all loaded.
A shotgun and two handguns.
A total of more than 800 rounds of ammunition, plus 18 military styles knives and body armor.
The weapons were legally registered to the man, and having them in his room was also legal.

"There was no danger," said Mike Dailey, manager at the hotel. "The gentlemen was here. He was a guest staying here. He left and then there was an FBI and police investigation."

Sources say that police did find psychiatric medication in the room, allowing them to seize the cache until a mental health evaluation can be completed. He was taken to a hospital for that.

"He had a room here and they're looking at the stuff in his room," Dailey said. "I don't know that there are any weapons. I think you'll have to talk to the police about that."

The man has been living in Hawaii for about three years in a Makiki apartment, but had only been staying a the hotel for a few days.

If he is deemed mentally fit, he could get his weapons back.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was on his way to a 3-gun match. LOL

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If that’s considered a cache, what we have would be considered an Arsenal.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't think you posted the right article/title.

"Police find large weapons cache in Waikiki raid"
#######
"An AR-15, and 15 high-capacity magazines — all loaded. A shotgun and two handguns.
A total of more than 800 rounds of ammunition, plus 18 military styles knives and body armor."

I bring way more than that for a camping trip. Maybe I don't fully understand what large weapons cache means?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't think you posted the right article/title.

"Police find large weapons cache in Waikiki raid"
#######
"An AR-15, and 15 high-capacity magazines — all loaded. A shotgun and two handguns.
A total of more than 800 rounds of ammunition, plus 18 military styles knives and body armor."

I bring way more than that for a camping trip. Maybe I don't fully understand what large weapons cache means?

That’s what caught my eye. Most of us take more than that for a nice afternoon at the range.

Look for my Quote for Today yesterday.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post