SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those of us with a Technivorm Cup-One ... what they didn't tell us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those of us with a Technivorm Cup-One ... what they didn't tell us Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
I have a full size Technivorm coffee maker but in retirement, I've found I only need to make a cup at a time, so several years ago, I bought a Technivorm Cup-One.

Also as I've gotten older, I've found that I can't drink as many cups of coffee as I used to. Tears my stomach up. So I've switched to tea mostly ... but still drink a cup of coffee a day.

Anyway, I have all the tea accouterments including a water kettle for precise water heating. I just didn't enjoy all the time consuming fidgeting to find a consistently perfect cup of tea. SOooo ... I decided to try making tea in the Cup-One.

Lo and Behold !!! ... the Technivorm Cup-One brews a consistently perfect cup of tea each and every time. Never bitter ... just perfect !!! The brew cycle for 10oz of water is 5min and that's how I brew my coffee. For tea I use either 6 or 8oz of water depending on the tea and that brings the brew cycle down to the 3-4min range.

If using bag tea, I just toss a bag in the brew basket. If using loose tea, I just use a #2 cone filter in the brew basket ... same as I would use for coffee. This works for both green and black teas just as well.

Maybe a drip coffee maker with a similar brew cycle would work just as well. Dunno, all I have is a Technivorm.

The only "problem" using the same coffee maker for both coffee and tea is tea tasting coffee and coffee tasting tea. Solved that problem too. Using a small hobby size butane torch (candle would work to I think), I heated and softened a toothbrush handle and bent the head 90 degrees. Now it's quick, simple and easy to rinse out a brew basket, reaching into all the corners. Just takes a few seconds after each brewing.

Technivorm didn't tell us they brew a perfect cup of tea ... but they dang sure do !!! I don't think I'd try brewing 10cups of tea in a full size Technivorm. I THINK the brew cycle would just be too long, allowing the tea to come out bitter, but the Cup-One is just right. I guess I COULD use the full size Technivorm ... but only make a cup at a time. That would prolly work.

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention my "discovery". It has saved me a lot of frustration and time searching for a consistently perfect cup of tea. And I've found it to be so simple and easy with the Cup-One and perfect every time.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've been cutting back on my coffee. Nowadays I rarely make a pot of coffee.

Here's a solution for less than $20 to your door. The OXO pour over single cup with water tank is awesome. It has multiple holes in the water basket that sort of mimics the Technivorm. You just heat water up to the proper temp and pout it into the basket.

You should try one for your tea. I think you'd be surprised.

I have several of them. It was my own silly mistake that I ruined the water tank. It was not defective. I called OXO to inquire if I could buy just the 1 part. Nope, the lady told me. She insisted on sending me a whole replacement. We went back and forth. I had a replacement at my front door in 2 days.

https://www.oxo.com/pour-over-...4T03yakaAnV6EALw_wcB

https://youtu.be/kJnBnUaFeQM

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Gene ... I'm a huge fan of pour over. This Melitta was handiest but I also have a red one and a ceramic Melitta around here too. Have had them and used them "forever".

Fact is, if I weren't so pleased with the convenience, ease of use and predictably consistently perfect results every time all the time from the Technivorm, I'd use the pour over as my second choice. I've used both the Technivorm and pour over more times than I can probably count and for me ... Winner? Technivorm.

Don't get me wrong. Had I never tried a Technivorm on an everyday routine basis, I'd be perfectly happy with a pour over as a single cup choice ... and I still use it from time to time for old times sake and to stay "in practice". So the thing is, if anything ever happens to the Technivorm or SHTF and I have to boil water over a fire ... I still have backup I can enjoy.

OH, and got a French Press in the cabinet too. A very nice Bodum 1/2 liter stainless steel one. Except it's on the top shelf and hard to reach. Don't use it much any more.

EDIT: And while I didn't start this thread to show all the different ways to make coffee ... or tea ... but just to share the amazing consistently perfect cup Technivorm not only makes of coffee but ALSO of tea (Technivorm never told us about tea). Hope I won't have to drag out all my tea accoutrements LOL, but I mentioned the Bodum French Press ... and here the dusty thing is. Works GREAT too Wink ... oh, and I don't know about now days, but back in the day, these stainless steel Bodum's could only be found in Europe. Especially this smaller 1/2 liter size which is perfect for one American good size cup of coffee at a time.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Hope I won't have to drag out all my tea accoutrements LOL

Well shoot, what the heck. May as well show off my Brown Betty and Brown Betty type teapots I have, that the Technivorm has kicked to the curb. All they do now is sit on a shelf and collect dust. The large one in back is from the 1930's-40's and from my grandmother's kitchen. It was made by Royal Canadian Pottery in Hamilton Canada. The one on the far right is also from my grandmother but it has no markings. The brown and blue on the left are from Adderley in England and the brown one to the right of the blue one is from Cauldon, also in England.

The Cauldon one was and is my favorite when making tea in a teapot. Maybe it's the Special Rockingham glaze or maybe it's the Euturia terracotta red clay of Staffordshire beneath that glaze or maybe because it's the smallest. Whatever, I like it best.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Kinda picky about my cups and mugs too I guess. I could drink from a gourd but the fancy Heirloom Fine Bone China cups and saucers from England work best for a proper cup of tea ya know. For the longest, the brown mug on the right from Cauldon and also Staffordshire red clay with Rockingham glaze was my favorite mug for tea AND coffee. I have several of them. Then that hand made lidded mug back right from Droste Pottery out of Michigan became my favorite, especially for brewing a bag of tea or using a ball infuser right in the cup but also for coffee. The blue one in back on the left is a wonderful cup hand made by West Clay Works but in my hand just never worked best for me. My current favorite is the blue and brown one on the front left. It has kicked all the others to the curb. It's a hand made salt glazed mug from Deborah Britt. Something about that salt glaze I think. Coffee and tea sure taste great from that salt glazed mug. LOTS of other cups and mugs on the shelf but I seldom use any others ... even my old heavy ceramic one I used for years in the U.S. Navy Chief's Mess ... and weighs about a pound so it wouldn't break hitting the deck LOL. I only use it now, when taking a sentimental journey down memory lane.

posted Hide Post
Lol. Those Navy mugs are bricks. I use my more for decoration than anything else. You have motivated me to drink tea out of one of them though. Memory lane sounds good.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Lol. Those Navy mugs are bricks. I use my more for decoration than anything else. You have motivated me to drink tea out of one of them though. Memory lane sounds good.

HA !!! Big Grin ... I can't bring myself to drink tea from my Chief's mug. "It just ain't right". Well, I DID try it ONCE ... and it just ain't right LOL. Many a pot of coffee gone through it though.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
May have to look into one of these when my Keurig goes T.U.
Eek Buy once, cry once, I suppose. Would probably eventually break even on the lower cost of loose coffer, over K-cups.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this brand, thanks for making me aware. I learned it is a Dutch brand, that began in 1968.

I like well made things, kind of wished I drank coffee.
I do love tea so may still be interested thanks to this thread.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to get just the part you need so you have two of the same part, one to keep tea tea and the other coffee coffee?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Is it possible to get just the part you need so you have two of the same part, one to keep tea tea and the other coffee coffee?

Yes sir, but not as easy as putting a 90 degree turn on a toothbrush Wink ... and takes up more room.
Besides, it would still need cleaning at some point.