SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'd like to modify my glasses frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like to modify my glasses frame Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Is there something available that will allow me to replace my glasses temples with a strap or string or anything that will work with a set of noise reducing ear muffs? With hard plastic or metal temples the seal around the earpiece is broken and the muffs don't do their job properly.

I've found straps that hook to the end of the temples but I want to replace them completely if possible.

If this isn't a thing, I'm going to have to print something on my 3d printer.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Is there something available that will allow me to replace my glasses temples with a strap or string or anything that will work with a set of noise reducing ear muffs? With hard plastic or metal temples the seal around the earpiece is broken and the muffs don't do their job properly.

I've found straps that hook to the end of the temples but I want to replace them completely if possible.

If this isn't a thing, I'm going to have to print something on my 3d printer.
I'm not sure about regular glasses, but I believe that you can get safety goggles with prescription lenses, that are held on with an elastic strap, rather than temple arms.

We do have at least one eye doc on the forum, who might be able to confirm this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
In researching a repair for my eye glasses I came across this outfit. They repair eyeglasses and sunglasses, both metal frames and plastic frames (depending on specific material, location, and type of repair). They do mail order repairs. There is a lengthy article on their website with a lot of good information about this type of work and pictures of the types of repairs they are capable of.

You might consider talking to them and see if they would tackle a custom project for you.

eyewear repair

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Or the next time you get a new eyeglasses prescription, buy wire frames?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Coming at it from the other direction, gel ear seals on the muffs will greatly improve the seal around the glasses.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
prescription glasses? or are the glasses for protection only ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
prescription glasses? or are the glasses for protection only ?
Prescription and protection. Currently the dorkiest glasses of all time.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'd like them to be comfortable, too.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

These are my frames. They look good. (I get complements often.) They're comfortable. They stay on my face almost regardless of what I do. And the temples are thin enough not to interfere with over-the-ear protection.

They were spendy, but, man, were they worth every penny.

My prescription doesn't change much over time and I treat my eyeglasses well, so, when I buy new ones, I go for it. I usually end up spending about $700 by the time I'm done.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
I wore THESE while I was in the Army, but I don’t know what it would take to get lenses made for them.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I would try the gel pads first.

I understand the ease of over the ear but have you looked into custom plugs? I’m having a pair ordered through House of Hearing via SoundGear https://www.soundgearhearing.c...hEAQYASABEgLL3PD_BwE and they’re about $150 plus if there is a charge for someone to do the mold. House of Hearing did mine because I bought some electronic plugs from them, but you may find a local shooting club that has somebody to do it and probably won’t charge. They’re 27-29db rated, if that’s enough.

Once they have your molds, you can order by phone if you need replacements.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I would try the gel pads first.

I understand the ease of over the ear but have you looked into custom plugs? I’m having a pair ordered through House of Hearing via SoundGear https://www.soundgearhearing.c...hEAQYASABEgLL3PD_BwE and they’re about $150 plus if there is a charge for someone to do the mold. House of Hearing did mine because I bought some electronic plugs from them, but you may find a local shooting club that has somebody to do it and probably won’t charge. They’re 27-29db rated, if that’s enough.

Once they have your molds, you can order by phone if you need replacements.
Foamies are rated at 33dB and are what I normally use. The only reason I've been using muffs is because I use a set of Bluetooth earbuds to listen to music or Bible or podcasts. The gel things still don't cover the gap between the temples and my skull. I've been wearing my glasses with the temples above the muffs and that's not really working for me.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

These are my frames. They look good. (I get complements often.) They're comfortable. They stay on my face almost regardless of what I do. And the temples are thin enough not to interfere with over-the-ear protection.

They were spendy, but, man, were they worth every penny.

My prescription doesn't change much over time and I treat my eyeglasses well, so, when I buy new ones, I go for it. I usually end up spending about $700 by the time I'm done.
I had those in the past and the wrap-around eat thing really gets painful by the end of the day. Chafing and such.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cth1974:
I wore THESE while I was in the Army, but I don’t know what it would take to get lenses made for them.
That's perfect if I can get my prescription lenses in them. Thanks.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Some of these style can be attached up by the temples if the frame will fit in the tube or clamp end. Then you may be able to trim the temples shorter to avoid the muff. The cloth would feel better under the ear muffs. https://www.croakies.com/retai...HEAAYASABEgLfLPD_BwE

You may be able to add some heat shrink tube over the ends to tighten the fit to the frame.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Do your glasses have screws holding the temples to the rest of the frame and acting as the hinge? If so, perhaps you could McGiver something? If your glasses aren’t too expensive, maybe get a second set, take the temples off, and use a safety pin on each side to attach an elastic band. Pin goes through the band, through the hinge in the frame where the screw was, then back through the band. May look a little dorky, but should work and be a low cost solution. Just a thought...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cth1974:

I have a set of these paid for by my employer but got them at my regular eye doctor.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my solution,

two pair of glasses
1 pair for not working another modified pair.

the working pair would have the temple's
arm's cut off , an inch and 3/4 from the hinge.

then you fasten an elastic head band on to it with some good glue,
and you are good to go

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Per the write up looks like that's possible

Worn by fire and rescue, military, and industrial workers. Designed for freedom and protection during sports and field work. Can be worn underneath your military gas mask. Non-reflective and contoured to match facial features for comfort. Self-adjusting straps hold frame securely on face. Made of DuPont nylon. Meets ANSI Z87.1 standards and OSHA requirements. Accepts prescription lenses (not included). If the size is not imprinted on the inside of your prescription glasses, see your optometrist for correct size. NSN 640-01-107-0305. Black.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post