SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions. Honestly never thought about pawn shops for tools, but its probably more from a lack of pawn shops in my area. The only one local is a new business of less than 2 years. Sells mostly junk.

Will look into husky, kobalt and the such my next trip into the "big city". Got a decent 42" top & box for 1/2 off when they were closing out our local sears store, so now I'm just looking to fill it. If I thought there would be anyone to leave them to, I would go the snap-on/Cornwell route. Unfortunately, they'll just be one more thing sold at my estate sale when the time comes.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Klein for sure. As others have mentioned.

I have two Wright Tool Wright screwdrivers that are good. I prefer Klein.

I have a ratchet that is a Fastenal - Rock River branded ratchet. I feel it is as good as or better than Craftsmen ratchets from the 1960-70s that my dad had.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Klein for sure. As others have mentioned.

I have two Wright Tool Wright screwdrivers that are good. I prefer Klein.

I have a ratchet that is a Fastenal - Rock River branded ratchet. I feel it is as good as or better than Craftsmen ratchets from the 1960-70s that my dad had.

Maybe so but modern tool designs blow away the ones from the 60's/70's. The only 3/8" ratchets I ever use have a long handle and swiveling head......In all honesty, craftsman (and some others) really have come out with some really innovative designs when it has come to tools in the last decade.

All of the pawn shops around here price everything higher than the new price of the item, then expect you to haggle back and forth.....royal pain in the rear way to buy used stuff from what I've seen.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will give Klein a look as well. Nice to find some things made here are still regarded as being top of the heap.

Thinking about trying one of the Pittsburgh Pro swivel head ratchets just for giggles. Never used one and honestly unsure of its value TO ME. They seem like a decent low use ratchet for <$20 and a good "do I need this" trial. Maybe the 25" breaker bar as well.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My brother was a diesel mechanic for 12 years, rebuilding Caterpillar equipment. He has tens of thousands of dollars of tools, from harbor freight garbage to the standard professional grade stuff, to really expensive specialty tools.

He said he had a rule when buying tools. Even the cheap stuff is pretty good these days, so he would always buy that first. If he used it often enough to break the cheap tool, only then would he pony up for the good stuff.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good rule. I should pass that along to a couple of my mechanic friends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Sounds like a good rule. I should pass that along to a couple of my mechanic friends.

Yeah, except everytime I've had a cheap tool break, I busted the crap out of my hand or knuckles and it WAS NOT worth the pain.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a better solution for storing sockets than the Hansen trays? Trying to organize so I don't purchase duplicates.
Also wrench storage as well. I am taking up two drawers currently and would like to clean up a little of my clutter.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Does anyone have a better solution for storing sockets than the Hansen trays? Trying to organize so I don't purchase duplicates.
Also wrench storage as well. I am taking up two drawers currently and would like to clean up a little of my clutter.

I tried all sorts of commercial "solutions" to this issue from cheap (Deep Homo) to expensive semi-custom racks and this is what works best for me.

I don't have a picture handy but I took a couple of strips of 1x about an inch wide and cut slots in them at an angle to set wrenches in. Wood strips run front to back in the drawer and wrenches lay at an angle just shallow enough to close the drawer. You can see sizes at a glance and you can also see if you forgot to put one back. I can get a quick snapshot if you're interested.

An hour or so with a table saw some scraps of 1/4 lauan plywood and some #3 1x4 and you can create a custom application for each drawer for cheap.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post