SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Being a professional automotive technician, I buy mostly Snap-on tools despite the greater cost. I recognize that for the non-professional/homeowner this cost may not be justifiable.

A good screwdriver for the money is the Greenlee brand. I have some that I rarely actually use as screwdrivers, more often as pry bars, chisels and punches, and they are still holding up. Lowe's carries them (the last time I looked), but they are in the electrical department, not "Tool World."

The Kobalt line, also at Lowe's (made in Taiwan or sometimes China), seem OK. However, I needed a special purpose socket (½" drive, ½", 12-point, deep)for a 4.0L Jeep head bolt.

(The seven bolts in the top row)

The Snap-on truck could have been anywhere within 100 square miles, but a Lowe's was 2 miles away. I found the socket, but the counterbore inside was too small to accommodate the portion above the bolt head. Mad This may not be a concern for you if you don't have a 4.0 Jeep, but it pissed me right off.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
SK has nice socket sets.
Klein has good screw/nut drivers.
Knipex makes the best pliers.
Klien has some good electrical tools.
Snap-on, Mac, Napa for specific tools.
Gear Wrench for ratcheting wrenches.
Ridgid pipe wrenches.
KD tools and many others.

Pretty close to my list:
Wrenches (combo, DOE, DBE, ratcheting, adjustable), a mix of SK, Wright, and Armstrong
Wrenches (torque), SK and CDI (the SK's are made by CDI)
Sockets, SK, Craftsman
Ridgid for pipe, check
Knipex, fantastic pliers
Older Craftsman and Xcelite nut drivers, several different sets
Irwin for tap/die sets
Starrett and Mitutoyo for precision metrology
Fluke for electrical meters
Wiha for smaller precision screwdrivers and bit sets/drivers

SK makes some really handy socket sets in a box that combine 6 point inch and metric, regular and deep, ratchets and extensions. 91844 is the 1/4" drive set, and 94549 is the 3/8". Both have a lifetime warranty. Though Amazon says the 1/4" is from China and the 3/8" from USA, the SK site says both sets are USA made. I have the 1/4" set, and find myself grabbing it a lot when I have to walk any where to work on something needing a socket, but unknown or varying sizes.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WIHA tools are first class. Great stuff.

https://www.wihatools.com/scre...ObcIZlJlEaAkkZ8P8HAQ

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Can't beat Klein hand tools. Worked at one of their factories longer than I care to remember. Retired after almost 30 years. They purchased the Vaco line somewhere in the 80's. Made thousands of screwdrivers and nutdrivers plus other items. Never could make enough to satisfy sales. You should see how they make flattip screwdrivers. Take a look at them at Lowes.

Cool. One of the screw drivers, nut drivers, adjustable wrenches, or channel locks in my tool bag could have been forged by you. Smile

Know what they call lines man's pliers? Kliens. So at least for electrical tools they are your best bet.

Except a scratch awl, punch, and one speciality screw driver everything in my tool bag is made by them, even my channel locks (those are going to be replaced with CHANNELLOCK).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^

Kobalt is the Lowes brand.

IIRC, they also have a free replacement policy. Break one, trade it for a new one.

Also, We have an Ace hardware store up the road from us, and they are stocking Craftsman tools.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Grey Pneumatic makes good impact sockets. This set of ¼" drive magnetized sockets for getting small bolts and screws into tight spots is one of my most used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anyone mention MATCO. I bought a pretty nice torque wrench off e-bay. They're kinda up there on the level of Snap-On, but not quite as pricey. The best suggestion I read was whoever recommended going to estate sales.

On my reloading bench, NOTHING is going to require a lot of grunting and torque to tighten it down. I just got the Pittsburgh tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap Chinese crap, but it fits the bill for what I use on the bench and light work around the house. I got nice sets of crescent wrenches, combination wrenches, screwdrivers, and ball-headed allen wrenches. Good stuff for my uses...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time- Pawnshops would have bins of tools and you could pick out the better individual sockets etc. I got some nice extensions rooting through the bins.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well considering how handy I am,; if it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's beyond repair. LOL

Posts: 28 | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
For my garage tool box I like Snap On, MAC and Craftsman. The take to the track box is mostly Craftsman. Specialty tools by whoever makes them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I look for vintage Proto, S-K, Mac Tools, Armstrong, Williams, Billings, P&C, Herbrand, Bonney, Goodell-Pratt, New Britain, Vlchek, and Cornwell (old) stuff like that on ebay and pawn shops.

Wright makes pretty good hand tools, believe they are USA.

What he said

I have a drawer of wrenches at work I use to get teased about when I was in a Fleet Shop with seven other mechanics. They had Mac, Snap-On, some Craftsman. I at that time had fourteen different brands in my wrench drawer. I called it my UN Wrench drawer.

I thought I was the only one who had Herbrand, Bonney, Cornwell, S-K Wayne, Williams, Proto, Armstrong.

But honestly for the home professional hard to beat Craftsman, Williams, Proto, and S-K are really good.

For large wrenches for the equipment hydraulic lines and fittings. The swap meet China stuff works real well. I have a 6 wrench set from
1 3/8 to two inches I found at a swap meet thirty some years ago for $35.00. I also have a 14 piece of angle head open end wrenches from 3/8 to 1 1/4 made in China that was $45.00 about 30 years ago.

I quit buying a lot of Snap-On stuff when I was an Equipment Mechanic in the dirt fields a long time ago. You drop a wrench when working on a Dozer motor and it is gone in the mud or at the bottom of the engine. Forget about dropping the belly ban to retrieve it.

The China stuff nowadays is not bad.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've become fond of Carlyle from NAPA. They're made in Taiwan.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grace makes great screwdrivers for gunsmithing.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Wright and having also recently discovered Nepros (based upon flesheatingvirus' recommendations)

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own mostly the common brands-Craftsman and Husky. They seem to hold up well for what I do. If I was using them for my livelihood, I might choose a better quality.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You're all leaving out Cornwell Tools, but they too are sold like Mac and Snap-On from independent dealers off a truck. My 3/8 and 1/2" socket wrench sets are both Cornwell, along with my top box (bottom box is Mac).

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have hand me down snap-on craftsman, sk, and some husky before husky went Chinese. I also have Blackhawk, proto, knipex and channellock.
I will buy American as much as possible but I will Felo and Wera. They are German tools and have nice sets.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had a really nice snap on triple bank roll around with a good collection of snap on tools, they are the best imo but you pay the high price , after I broke my ankle and was out of work something had to give so I sold it off.

I never said I would buy the cheap stuff but after looking at several different brands I bought the kobalts they for the most part are made in Taiwan look dang close to a snap on and so far I have not had any issues with them. I don't use them everyday for my job either though. The wrenches are not bad. screw drivers I bought the Milwaukee, Pliers are from channellock U.S.A company. vise grips sadly are made in china know you can find some usa ones on ebay but you will pay a premium. I did buy a roll around from harbor freight for 350 bucks I have to say it's not bad for the price.

best thing to do is look around for a few different makes and pick the best of what the make. some of the tekton tools are still made in the use and they have a good warranty. also Wilde tools I swear look dang close to snapon and they are made in the usa.

Here is my hf box I debadged it added some stainless steel corners and top to copy my old snap on, also put a Milwaukee decal on it. Smile makes me feel better.

that pink crap on the floor is fish egg dye that wont easily come off.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tools at work are mostly Snap-On and Mac. The tools at home are mostly Craftsman that started out started out with a set purchased about 45 years ago. They've been added to over time. If I need something now, I cruise the pawnshops looking for the old Craftsman stuff. It can be bought for next to nothing these days.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mac tools are just a step up from vintage Craftsman tools. The open end wrenches spread if enough torque is applied. They make a few good items, but I would avoid if possible. Craftsman made their wrenches thick so they have enough strength. However they are often too thick to get into tight spaces.

I have been happy with Snap-On, Proto, S-K, Wiha, etc. S-K has been very good, but I do not see them sold anywhere. Klein seems to be okay.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post