SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand does the forum like for Hand Tools? More questions Login/Join 
posted
I have some Craftsman ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers and some other misc tools as well as some older S&K branded stuff. Sad to see Sears going belly up. Have some cheap chicom stuff as well that should be replaced.

So, what does the forum recommend in a good hobbyist/homeowner grade tool manufacturer that is readily available. Not looking for Snap-On price range cause I ain't making a living off my tools. Just good quality that will last at least as long as I need them too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to having worked as an industrial maintenance mechanic for 43 years, most of my Tools are professional grade, Snap On, Mac and Klein. I know some of the newer guys that were hiring on before I retired were pretty happy with Kobalt from Home Depot. I suspect they would very work well for most home jobs and be reasonably priced. I must admit to not having personal experience with the brand.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Kobalt is the Lowes brand.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I always stop by estate sales and head for the basement or the garage. I look for American made tools from the 50s and the 60s. Craftsman were really good tools back then. They are usually pretty cheap and they are so much better than anything made in the last 20-30 years. (unless you pay up for Snap On etc)

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on which hand tool... I pick different brands for what I like best at the time (that has a lifetime warranty).

SK has nice socket sets.
Klein has good screw/nut drivers.
Knipex makes the best pliers.
Klien has some good electrical tools.
Snap-on, Mac, Napa for specific tools.
Gear Wrench for ratcheting wrenches.
Ridgid pipe wrenches.
KD tools and many others.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always stop by estate sales and head for the basement or the garage. I look for American made tools from the 50s and the 60s. Craftsman were really good tools back then. They are usually pretty cheap and they are so much better than anything made in the last 20-30 years. (unless you pay up for Snap On etc)

Thanks great idea.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nepro or Kyoto Tool Company (KTC).

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
What EXcam man said. I use primarily Craftsman and Snap-on but have S&K, Proto, and others based on the tool and the project. Also use a lot of DeWalt, Milwaukee, Pexto, Lincoln MIG and TIG, and a lot of other special tools for aircraft.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I never really have a serious use for tools very often. So I use Pittsburgh Pro because they're cheap and good enough for the few times I've needed them.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I never really have a serious use for tools very often. So I use Pittsburgh Pro because they're cheap and good enough for the few times I've needed them.

This.
At work we have snap-on and SK, although i do have several pieces of snap-on at home my go to is the pro line from harbor freight.
I have rebuilt engines and done substantial work on cars and trucks using hand tools from them.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wright tools are first class, yet significantly less expensive than SnapOn. One thing I do to minimize expense is to buy singly, those sizes which I use frequently. For example in metric: 10,12,14 sockets and combination wrenches. Wright ratchets are also nice and very good value.Wright Tool has a special line of tools designed exactly around the working man and home craftsman who want complete set of tools: http://www.wrighttool.com/pdfs/CougarCatalog2013.pdf

Several companies sell on line: http://www.royalsupply.com/sto...Hand-Tools-c4083.htm

Also: https://www.ohiopowertool.com/...-pro-hand-tools.aspx

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kobalt are as good or better than craftsman, they hold up and some nice ergonomics.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kobalt. I'm very happy with several of their tools I have bought in the last few years.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Craftsman is going anywhere. Stanley or someone will continue to produce them and sell them. Craftsman does have one heck of a selection compared to Kobalt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A good 4-in-1 and 6-in-one screwdriver, a pair of Channellocks #430 usually, and a flashlight are my EDC tools.

Around the house the screwdriver and a Craftsman razor knife get the most use.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Craftsman from eBay

Channellock pliers

Crescent for adjustable

Vise grip for locking

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've looked at and have a few Kobalt tools and they're fine, especially at the price.

But, Blowes left town (not a big enough customer base to support BLowes AND Deep Homo) so new or replacement tool purchases are Husky from Deep Homo. Ratchets are ok but not great, wrenches and sockets are fine.

New Craftsman stuff is crudely finished, poorly cast, and made bigger to make up for crappy metal. No more Craftsman hand tools for me. Never have liked their power tools, rebranded Black and Decker crap.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what does the forum recommend in a good hobbyist/homeowner grade tool manufacturer that is readily available.

Husky, Channel Lock, and Crescent. All readily available from Home Depot and at a decent price with a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Can't beat Klein hand tools. Worked at one of their factories longer than I care to remember. Retired after almost 30 years. They purchased the Vaco line somewhere in the 80's. Made thousands of screwdrivers and nutdrivers plus other items. Never could make enough to satisfy sales. You should see how they make flattip screwdrivers. Take a look at them at Lowes.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look for vintage Proto, S-K, Mac Tools, Armstrong, Williams, Billings, P&C, Herbrand, Bonney, Goodell-Pratt, New Britain, Vlchek, and Cornwell (old) stuff like that on ebay and pawn shops.

Wright makes pretty good hand tools, believe they are USA.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post