SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jesse Ventura appeal denied by SCOTUS in Chris Kyle suit.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Jesse Ventura appeal denied by SCOTUS in Chris Kyle suit. Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I am truly that sorry his wife got caught up in the mess but why should she make money off of his lies?

I seriously doubt that the book was selling copies and making her money simply because it had mention of this sorry sack of butt mud in it.
It's a very small, insignificant portion of the novel. I didn't even know about thst portion when I bought and read the novel.

Would you be okay if the lie was about you?

I have a real hard time believing that if someone wrote a bestselling book and said that he caught you in a bar shit-talking service members and that he punched you out for it you'd be totally cool with it and let him or his family continue selling the book with that lie in it.

Sorry fellas but Chris Kyle is a liar. He lied about shooting people from the Superdome, he lied about the gas station killings and he seems to have lied about this. It blows my mind that so many of you are okay with that.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11977 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I am truly that sorry his wife got caught up in the mess but why should she make money off of his lies?

I seriously doubt that the book was selling copies and making her money simply because it had mention of this sorry sack of butt mud in it.
It's a very small, insignificant portion of the novel. I didn't even know about thst portion when I bought and read the novel.

I have a real hard time believing that if someone wrote a bestselling book and said that he caught you in a bar shit-talking service members and that he punched you out for it you'd be totally cool with it and let him or his family continue selling the book with that lie in it.

Sorry fellas but Chris Kyle is a liar. He lied about shooting people from the Superdome, he lied about the gas station killings and he seems to have lied about this. It blows my mind that so many of you are okay with that.

I'm not even addressing the lying issue. I never said I was ok with it. If Ventura wants to clear his name, that's one thing. But claiming that Taya made money off of this lie is kinda ridiculous in my opinion. Who the heck cares about that clown anyway?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Endowment)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 18306 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not even addressing the lying issue. I never said I was ok with it. If Ventura wants to clear his name, that's one thing. But claiming that Taya made money off of this lie is kinda ridiculous in my opinion. Who the heck cares about that clown anyway?
I'm with Balze. It's ludicrous to claim a small, insignificant part of a novel is the reason it made money. I bought it because he was the most successful sniper in US Military history.

I'm not ok with the lie, but find the money/rich argument disingenuine.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 14839 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If it's so small and insignificant then why didn't they remove it when given the chance? Why even include it at all if it is so small and insignificant?

They had a chance to remove it and didn't. Thet had a chance to have the whole thing dropped even after he chose to make the story up in the first place.

I don't remember the movie so I can't give you the direct quote, but there was a movie about some family suing some big company and they were telling the lawyer that they didn't care about the money. The lawyer said something to the effect of "sometimes money is how you make people say they are sorry". That's not it exactly but the point he was making stands. They had the opportunity to say sorry by removing the story. They chose not to so I have little sympathy.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
The punchee is apparently anonymous when he appeared in the book. Later, when giving promotional interviews, Kyle identified him as Ventura. Also, that story allegedly became a focal point of many of those interviews. So there's at least an argument that the story sold books.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 17703 | Registered: February 22, 2002Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
The punchee is apparently anonymous when he appeared in the book. Later, when giving promotional interviews, Kyle identified him as Ventura. Also, that story allegedly became a focal point of many of those interviews. So there's at least an argument that the story sold books.
You haven't read the book, but you post in every thread about the book. Por que?

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 14839 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's so small and insignificant then why didn't they remove it when given the chance? Why even include it at all if it is so small and insignificant?

They had a chance to remove it and didn't. Thet had a chance to have the whole thing dropped even after he chose to make the story up in the first place.

I don't remember the movie so I can't give you the direct quote, but there was a movie about some family suing some big company and they were telling the lawyer that they didn't care about the money. The lawyer said something to the effect of "sometimes money is how you make people say they are sorry". That's not it exactly but the point he was making stands. They had the opportunity to say sorry by removing the story. They chose not to so I have little sympathy.
Ventura is never named in the book. Have you even read it?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The amount of blind hero worship is shocking.

I don't like Jesse Ventura but Chris Kyle's lies brought this on.

One small part in a book was bad enough, but then he repeated those things on TV and other forms of print.

Just because Chris Kyle died doesn't mean he gets a pass, nor does his estate.

And then there are all of the other lies he told...

So much for 'quiet professionals'.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ventura is never named in the book. Have you even read it?
I read it, before they deleted the part about Chris Kyle's "shootout" at the gas station. I thought it as funny, reading a more recent copy that it was gone...

But I did see Chris say it was Jesse on TV...

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I guess that asshat worked really hard to earn my award of the month. And it's so early in the month to boot.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 4012 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
You haven't read the book, but you post in every thread about the book. Por que?
The section has been removed from the book. But you can find plenty of clips of Kyle discussing it. This thread seems to be about the lawsuit, not book reviews. Although I did like the movie.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 17703 | Registered: February 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a very small, insignificant portion of the novel. I didn't even know about that portion when I bought and read the novel.

A novel is a work of fiction. Or is that your point?

Posts: 888 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a very small, insignificant portion of the novel. I didn't even know about that portion when I bought and read the novel.

No, my point was it was a small, insignificant portion of an autobiography that had no bearing on book sales. The book was a best seller because it was an autobiography of the deadliest sniper in US military history. Additionally, it was a best seller prior to Ventura being revealed as Mr. Scruff Face on a radio show.

Additionally, during the original trial in MN, U.S. District Judge told jurors they weren't charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him. Several SEALS and bar patron testified seeing at least some of the incident.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, my point was it was a small, insignificant portion of an autobiography that had no bearing on book sales. The book was a best seller because it was an autobiography of the deadliest sniper in US military history. Additionally, it was a best seller prior to Ventura being revealed as Mr. Scruff Face on a radio show.

Additionally, during the original trial in MN, U.S. District Judge told jurors they weren't charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him. Several SEALS and bar patron testified seeing at least some of the incident.

To clarify some of that, most of the Seals recanted on their original stories, and the owner of the bar McP's came foward and said nothing like the incident Kyle described ever occured in his bar. He said the seal community is pretty tight knit and if this actually occured as Kyke claimed, everyone would have known about it, not just 2 or 3 other guys that claimed to have witnessed it. Its all bullshit, never happened, and anyone who says it did should have their Trident ripped off their chest- Don Shipley made a comment similar to that as well. Seals and UDT guys dont screw with eachother behind their backs. Kyle broke the faith, and for that he has to pay.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 2578 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But I have to agree that this was a battle Ventura probably shouldn't have chosen to fight. Even if he was slandered by Kyle (and there is some reason to think he was), he wasn't going to come out of this dispute ahead of the game.
And that right there was the only real point I was trying to make. If Ventura were at all honest, he'd simply come straight out and state its the money he's after, because his name and reputation when all of this is done won't be worth spit.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 25264 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But I have to agree that this was a battle Ventura probably shouldn't have chosen to fight. Even if he was slandered by Kyle (and there is some reason to think he was), he wasn't going to come out of this dispute ahead of the game.
And that right there was the only real point I was trying to make. If Ventura were at all honest, he'd simply come straight out and state its the money he's after, because his name and reputation when all of this is done won't be worth spit.

2 things:
The money awarded to Ventura never came from Chris Kykes estate or his family's pocket- the publishing insurance company has to pay, so Taya is not really a victim in this case at all.

Ventura offered to drop the suit after Chris died if Taya and the publishing company would agree to pull the story about the bar incident, Taya refused. I dont know about you, but that sounds to me like Taya and the publishing company care more about money than Ventura does.

Its a shitty situation all around, but in the end Ventura is doing what he feels is right, and Chris or Taya Kyle and their legal team had many chances to make this all go away as well.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 2578 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Here is the test: flip the story completely.

Say Kyle was not a liar and his book was full of 100% truth, minus the bar story. Then Ventura wrote a book about his life and write the exact same story except he sad it was Kyle talking shit and that he punched Chris Kyle. Would you say that Chris Kyle should just let it go?

The only reason Ventura looks like an asshole to some is because they can't let themselves admit that Chris Kyle isn't the man they want him to be. Ventura isn't doing anything wrong. He's sueing because Chris Kyle made up a story that absolutely makes Ventura look like a even bigger piece of shit than he is.

Don't want to get sued for lying? Don't lie. Seems super simple to me.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nobody knows who was lying, in reality or in the court. As Rob O'Neill said, "unless you were in the room, you don't know what happened."

Moreover, none of us knows what evidence was adduced at the trial, and cannot possibly decide the impact such evidence might have had on the jury. Apparently, the jury decided Ventura was defamed, requiring an inference that they concluded the event did not happen, or at least not as depicted.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 43160 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Nobody knows who was lying, in reality or in the court. As Rob O'Neill said, "unless you were in the room, you don't know what happened."

Moreover, none of us knows what evidence was adduced at the trial, and cannot possibly decide the impact such evidence might have had on the jury. Apparently, the jury decided Ventura was defamed, requiring an inference that they concluded the event did not happen, or at least not as depicted.
The interesting thing to me is that both sides agreed to less than majority verdict. Makes it even murkier.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
The interesting thing to me is that both sides agreed to less than majority verdict. Makes it even murkier.

What does that mean? A civil case can be decided with less than unanimity of the jurors, but it still takes more than a majority.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 44463 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post