SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Liberty: Franklin vs Lincoln??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liberty: Franklin vs Lincoln?? Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
Hi all

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Im going to be buying a new safe in the next few weeks, and have narrowed it down between the Liberty Franklin and the Lincoln.

Ive read that Franklin is part of their "value line" which is great from a price standpoint, but are you giving up too much with regards to performance?

Is the extra money worth the Lincoln?? (~$4k for Lincoln 50, vs ~$3k for Franklin 50)

Liberty has good deals on Franklins bought before 8/27.

The differences (according to Specs on a Liberty dealers website) seem to be in the

Insulation: 1-3/8 for Franklin, 2" for Lincoln. (75' @1200 degrees for Franklin vs 90' @1200 for Lincoln)

Lock: Franklin has internal relocker, Lincoln has internal and external

Lock protection: Triple RC63 hard plates on Franklin vs ball-bearing hard plate on Lincoln (better resistance to drilling the lock??)

Thanks

Jim

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Eons ago, I used to work for a Liberty Safe Dealer that sold massive number of safes. There were really only slight difference between the Franklin and the Lincoln model. It looks like they increased the fire protection and insulation. From the fire standpoint, it really depends on where you live and what the respond time is from the fire department. The more remote you are, spend more $ for the longer fire protection.

The body and the door are also slightly different. But don't let that be a real factor. If the intruder have the tools and time, they will get into anything. It is more of a deterrent to the chance burglars.

Mostly, it was the difference is the finish...the textured/non clear coat on the Franklin vs the Lincoln. Back then, the Franklin also a slighter rougher interior than the Lincoln models.

Frankly, your safe is an investment for a long time. Personally, I use the 10% rule. You should never spend more than 10% in protecting the asset. So, if you have $10,000 in guns, do not spend more than $1,000 in a safe. If you have $30,000 in firearms, don't be cheap and buy a $500 safe.

Oh, spend the $ and get the electronic lock. you will thank me. The standard combination is fine as well. It's like your high school locker...do it enough and it will be automatic...it just takes a lot longer.

But the answer to your question is probably answered by which one your wife likes better. LOL!

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ops cwo
posted Hide Post
Lincoln. Have two and a Franklin they are both a huge step above.

Posts: 265 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Franklin and am good with it.

I also have a Smiths Security Custom made safe.

I like the Franklin and am well satisfied with it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post