SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnamese Food Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnamese Food Suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Some variation of beef Pho is my go-to during winter cold season. "Mom's chicken noodle soup" doens't have anyhting on a big bowl of Pho.

I don't know the Vietnamese name for it, but I always ordered "Black Pepper Chicken" from a place nearby that unfortunately closed. It's outstanding. It's chicken chunks in a caramelized black pepper sauce served over rice and veggies. More sweet than spicey, but good stuff.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
I quite like Bún Bò Xào. Especially in the summer. It is a beef noodle dish with vegatbles - almost a salad.

Sliced beef sautéed with lemongrass, onions, peanuts and cilantro. Served with vermicelli noodles, pickled carrots and daikon. Served with Super tasty.

It might also be called Bun Thit Nuong Bo

Bò = beef
Bún = rice vermicelli noodle
Xaò = stir fry

Thịt nướng = BBQ meat. Thịt nướng bò = BBQ beef.

Vietnamese food ordering is easy. The language is monosyllabic, where every word is only a single syllable. To describe food, we just string together words that describe what's in the dish, as there aren't enough single syllable sounds left to be used in new words.

Bò is beef. Gà is chicken. Thịt just means meat, but default protein in Viet culture is pork.

Bún is rice vermicelli. Cơm is rice. Bánh is a broad phrase that encompasses anything that might be made with dough, batter, or formed into a cake. So Bánh mì is a wheat cake, or what we know as bread. Depending on context, it might mean you want a sandwich (bánh mì thịt nướng, BBQ pork sandwich), or a loaf of bread (bánh mì ổ).

Phở is the specific beef noodle soup that became popular at the beginning of the 20th century, phở gà would be the chicken variant. Because the wide flat noodles for this soup is specific to phở, we call the noodles bánh phở,

Nearly all Viet food you'll find at the restaurant will come with a garnish. It might be a squeeze of lime, some herb leaves that you pick off and toss in, or any one of the dozen variants of fish sauce. Use the garnish, it's an integral part of the flavors. Don't be afraid of fish sauce, as it doesn't taste fishy. Straight fish sauce out of a bottle just tastes like straight salty umami flavor and is used extensively to season everything the same way we use salt to season things. It's already in your food. Most fish sauce used for dipping or flavoring rice is mixed down with citrus, water, sugar and garlic or ginger.

Have fun. Try new things Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they have French Coffee, get that. They use a strong coffee with chicoree that slowly drips over sweetened condensed milk. I much prefer it iced.

I went to college in San Jose, where we had lots of great Vietnamese Resturants. One night I need to study late for a final, so I made the mistake of ordering 2...... Let's just say 2 was 1 too many for me. I was able to stay up late, but was very jittery.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nothing too exotic here but I like everything on the menu at this place. There are some very good appetizers (not on this menu) from Hue but they are hard to find.

http://vivistheone.com/

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My favorite is bun thit nuong.
Oh you;ll want the vietnamese spring rolls, forgo the peanut sauce. I like mine with soy and chili paste.

I make it at home too.

Oh and with shrimp...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Seven courses of beef is the way to go. "Bo bay mon"

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bun Bo Hue!!!!

It is the bomb-diggety!!!!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
So many great suggestions and a lot of great info here. Thank you. I can't wait to go there for lunch next week and try something new.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There was an excellent thai resteraunt that closed, Satay. Satay expanded the menu to include dishes from Vietnam, Singapore, and Malaysia. If your resteraunt serves these dishes then I recommend...

Hor Mok Talay,
http://shesimmers.com/2010/11/...ish-custard-and.html

Malaysian Lahksa Noodle Soup,
http://www.malaysianchinesekit...urry-laksa-curry-mee

From Taiwan, Three Cup Chicken,
http://www.seriouseats.com/rec...n-bei-gi-recipe.html

The MT market on N. Lamar is a good resource for home cooking.
Did you get that bottle of absinthe?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I always order the V2 at my place!

You will love it

Big Grin

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Do they have a menu online? Or pics in yellllp review?

Great idea! They do not have an online menu, but people have posted over 100 pictures on YELP of the dishes. Many of the pictures though do not say the name of the dish. Someone did take pictures of the menu pages and posted them so I am able to see that they sell items people are describing here.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

You will love it

Big Grin

HK Ag

What is V2?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Btw, The Lone Star State is YUUGE. Where in the heck are you, anyway?

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

You will love it

Big Grin

HK Ag

What is V2?

It's after V1. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
Seven courses of beef is the way to go. "Bo bay mon"

-Tom

Yes, Bo bay mon, another classic Vietnamese dish. Not many restaurants offer it, though. Most likely none of the smaller ones.

Q

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
I quite like Bún Bò Xào. Especially in the summer. It is a beef noodle dish with vegatbles - almost a salad.

Sliced beef sautéed with lemongrass, onions, peanuts and cilantro. Served with vermicelli noodles, pickled carrots and daikon. Served with Super tasty.

It might also be called Bun Thit Nuong Bo

Bò = beef
Bún = rice vermicelli noodle
Xaò = stir fry

Thịt nướng = BBQ meat. Thịt nướng bò = BBQ beef.

Vietnamese food ordering is easy. The language is monosyllabic, where every word is only a single syllable. To describe food, we just string together words that describe what's in the dish, as there aren't enough single syllable sounds left to be used in new words.

Bò is beef. Gà is chicken. Thịt just means meat, but default protein in Viet culture is pork.

Bún is rice vermicelli. Cơm is rice. Bánh is a broad phrase that encompasses anything that might be made with dough, batter, or formed into a cake. So Bánh mì is a wheat cake, or what we know as bread. Depending on context, it might mean you want a sandwich (bánh mì thịt nướng, BBQ pork sandwich), or a loaf of bread (bánh mì ổ).

Phở is the specific beef noodle soup that became popular at the beginning of the 20th century, phở gà would be the chicken variant. Because the wide flat noodles for this soup is specific to phở, we call the noodles bánh phở,

Nearly all Viet food you'll find at the restaurant will come with a garnish. It might be a squeeze of line, some herb leaves that you pick off and toss in, or any one of the dozen variants of fish sauce. Use the garnish, it's an integral part of the flavors. Don't be afraid of fish sauce, as it doesn't taste fishy. Straight fish sauce out of a bottle just tastes like straight salty umami flavor and is used extensively to season everything the same way we use salt to season things. It's already in your food. Most fish sauce used for dipping or flavoring rice is mixed down with citrus, water, sugar and garlic or ginger.

Have fun. Try new things Smile

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It helps me a little more to understand the menu. I am just one of those people that likes pictures of the dishes on a menu regardless of the restaurant.

Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
Bo Kho, good stuff! With white rice. Give it a try, the stat anise gives it a great touch.

ETA - Mars beat me to it, and that dude knows how to eat and eat well!

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Here is their menu

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Btw, The Lone Star State is YUUGE. Where in the heck are you, anyway?

Austin, Tx

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
From that menu, order the number 3. Phở tái chín. That will give you both variants of beef (brisket and sliced filet or eye round) without the beef tendon and tripe, which isn't for everyone.

On another visit, try the 23, bún bò Huế. It's a rice vermicelli dish from the central region of Vietnam. If you are unadventurous, order it "không giờ héo" which means "no pork trotter". The pork trotter is good, but the thought of it can turn some people off.

You can order the 37 next, which is the cơm thịt nướng chả giò (rice BBQ pork and egg/imperial/summer roll), or you can impress them and order off menu: cơm bì thịt nướng chả trứng which is the rice with a shredded pork, BBQ pork, and a pork and egg cake/quiche. You can then order the chả giò (egg roll appetizer #1) to share.

The egg rolls, often called imperial rolls or fried summer rolls, when served as an appetizer is usually served with a plate of dark green lettuce, mint, pickled carrots and radish, and a citrus fish sauce. Pluck the mint leaves and pile them onto the lettuce leaf with the pickles. Use the veggies to wrap the egg roll like a taco or a burrito, dipping it into the sauce with each bite.

Now, you'll look like a pro Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post