SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driving tip some of you may not know. Got any others?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving tip some of you may not know. Got any others? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
If you already know this, which I suspect many here do, disregard or expound.

When you hit bumps, try to have your foot off the brakes. The suspension is more compliant without the brakes applied, and less shock is imparted to the suspension parts. Also good to apply brakes before turns so suspension is free during the turn.

Also improving suspension compliance when hitting bumps is to apply the throttle which extends the suspension and takes weight off the front wheels.

I use this technique when going over speed bumps: decelerate before the bump, either by closing throttle or braking, then a slight acceleration just before the front wheels hit the speed bump.

Any other driving tips?

Compilation:

1 - Foot off brake for bumps and turns. Slow then accelerate before speed bumps.

2 - 2 second following distance.

3 - Use winter tires, or all-season with AWD.

4 - Use lower gears on slippery surfaces. (some Ford automatics used to actually be in second in "2" when stopped to assist low traction starts)

5 - Test ABS system so you won't be surprised how it feels when actuated.

6 - Neutral can assist stopping on icy roads by removing forward force.

7 - Turn in direction of skid to regain control (some confusion on wheel turning for parking on hills, research elsewhere)

8 - Adjust side mirrors to view blind spots.

9 - When stopped for left turns, keep wheels straight.

10 - 4WD setting doesn't always give best control in all slippery conditions.

11 - Foot off brake when stopped and turning wheels.

12 - Treat every car like they are out to kill you.

13 - Check tire pressures including spare.

14 - Drive like you are invisible.

15 - Use turn signals! May determine if at fault in an accident.

16 - If wildlife cross road, assume more follow.

17 - Expand view far ahead. Enroll teenage drivers in Street Survival course. Familiarize with use of emergency brake and feel of ABS.

18 - Monitor tire wear. Especially going into winter. Wear and properly adjust safety equipment. Get off road following crash or flat. Replace broken windows. Don't drink and drive. Restrain pets.

19 - Anticipate red lights well ahead, lift foot off accelerator early, and prepare to stop with foot over brake pedal.

20 - Striking wildlife could be better than what you could hit if evasive moves cause loss of control. Don't assume cars accelerating from a stop in front of you won't stop or slow.

21 - Adjust mirrors to see blind spots, not side of car.

22 - When it snows, learn feel of brakes, traction and handling. Brakes off hitting potholes, railroad crossing and bumps.

23 - Leave an out in all driving situations, including the car in front when stopped by not pulling up close.

24 - Add extra following distance in bad weather. Allow extra time and drive slower. Don't drive distracted.

25 - Will finish later

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't crash into the guy you're following Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Two second following distance is the absolute minimal....make it even more when pursuing a suspect

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just had a college student die in an accident, U.P. if MI. She went out of control & slid into oncoming traffic. The road was winter-time slippery.

I’m a winter tire advocate, for those in serious snow areas. A high quality all-season tire with AWD works too.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When in reverse, things come at you from behind.

-Vincent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darthfuster,

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D is great for dry pavement, but if 2 is available , it does a lot better most of the time when on slippery surfaces.
Until you get going.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have never felt what anti-lock brakes feel like when they activate- do it.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
For those of you who have never felt what anti-lock brakes feel like when they activate- do it.

I wonder if it is good to periodically activate the ABS system or if it doesn't matter. When I'm on ice I'll "exercise" my ABS every now and then.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

How long ago has it been since you've stomped on your brakes?

I think it's smoothened out a lot now and you don't feel the pulsing that used to be there.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned this one in the past.

If you are on icy roads going down a hill and are concerned if you will be able to stop at the bottom, put the vehicle in neutral. When a vehicle is in drive the engine wants to turn the wheels so put it in neutral to take that forward force out of the equation.

Now that I think about it I guess you don't have to be going down a hill for this to help stop.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Turn into the direction of the skid to regain control.

If parked on an incline or decline on the curb of a street, turn you wheels towards the curb.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Here's my tip:

Don't arrange your side mirrors as most people do - they angle both side mirrors to reflect pretty much the same thing on the rearview mirror.

Set both side mirrors so that when a car is coming up behind you either lane, the side mirror starts reflecting a portion of the car's front end like a headlight while the rearview mirror is still showing a portion of the car's rear, assuming a standard size car, of course.

This covers your blind sides on either side. I still turn my head when changing lanes but as I turn my head, my eye is on the side mirror to catch anything.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
When making a left..

Do not come to a stop with wheels cocked left. Keep'em straight till rolling for turn. Should you ever get bumped or hit, does not send you into oncoming lane.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
If you have 4wd use it when on snow and ice within limits of common sense. Two door Wranglers are squirrely enough on dry pavement, they can get downright interesting on slick surfaces.

At times I will shift into 4 high upon approaching a stop or to start from the stop and shift into 2 high once underway. More control during both. Or like last year when in the midst of a snow and ice storm I drove back from Northern Michigan probably 80% of the way in 4 high at a maximum of 50 mph, until I got to Flint the roads were treacherous to say the least.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Take your foot off the brake when stationary and turning the wheels.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Always drive like someone's out to hit you. This may sound silly but watching car crash videos gave me more insight of what not to do.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Most folks rarely to never check their tire pressures.

It's a rare person who will check their spare tire pressure.

I had a flat and my spare tire was flat.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nobody else can see you.
Everyone wants to kill you.
We can drive it home, with one headlight.
I can't drive 55.
I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac, a little voice inside my head said: "Don't look back, you can never look back."
Never pay too much attention to the radio when your driving.
Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?
bendable is my co-pilot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Make a habit of always using your turn signals. Not only is it a very considerable thing to do for the other drivers on the road, it can also save you in a contested accident.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
When you see a deer cross the road in front of you, always expect more to follow behind.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post