SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida State University suspends all fraternities, sororities following death of a pledge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida State University suspends all fraternities, sororities following death of a pledge Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I was never in the greek system, but several of my friends swear they never would have completed school if not for being in a frat house.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Chi Phi here. There are 55 fraternal societies at Florida State, so I guess 54 of them didn't harass anybody to death.

I can certainly see dropping a load of concrete on the offending house and having a come-to-your-higher-power meeting with everybody else. But I am universally against punishing a person or a group for a crime committed by someone else. All the national organizations have a governing body that has legal advice and I will be surprised if the petty tyrant can make this stick unless there are a string of bodies in the local swamp.

The false principle of collective condemnation or collective salvation is a tenet of Leftism. It punishes the innocent and eases consequence on the culpable. It is a destructive ideal that applies guilt by association with broad brush intolerance. It is a primitive, knee-jerk , emotive policy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I will say that the most drunk I have ever been was pledge night when I was a freshman...
I couldn't even smell tequila for 20 years...Fortunately I'm over that now.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Chi Phi here. There are 55 fraternal societies at Florida State, so I guess 54 of them didn't harass anybody to death.

I can certainly see dropping a load of concrete on the offending house and having a come-to-your-higher-power meeting with everybody else. But I am universally against punishing a person or a group for a crime committed by someone else. All the national organizations have a governing body that has legal advice and I will be surprised if the petty tyrant can make this stick unless there are a string of bodies in the local swamp.

The false principle of collective condemnation or collective salvation is a tenet of Leftism. It punishes the innocent and eases consequence on the culpable. It is a destructive ideal that applies guilt by association with broad brush intolerance. It is a primitive, knee-jerk , emotive policy.

Article omits the other member of another fraternity being arrested for cocaine trafficking in the same week. A temporary stand down is definitely in order.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:

Article omits the other member of another fraternity being arrested for cocaine trafficking in the same week. A temporary stand down is definitely in order.

Nonsense. Deal with miscreants and criminals, don't defend or support criminal or anti-social behavior.
Or if you must go for group punishment then expand it to whole dormitories when a resident screws up. Restrict the ability for students to live off campus if police respond to a house party with drunken revelry. Shut down the basketball dorm if one hoopster smacks his girlfriend.

Deal with the offense not the address. I am certainly not condoning the behavior but I am totally opposed to being tarred with a broad brush.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The logic by some in this thread: temporarily take all guns, there's been another shooting

#dosomething

#forthekids

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The logic by some in this thread: temporarily take all guns, there's been another shooting

#dosomething

#forthekids

Yeah. One is a constitutional right (gun ownership) and the other is a privilege (greek system). But hey, let's not get in the way of your logical fallacies.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

#dosomething

#forthekids

Yeah. One is a constitutional right (gun ownership) and the other is a privilege (greek system). But hey, let's not get in the way of your logical fallacies.

You're the only one with a foolish fallacy here. Rights or Privilege, it matters not, you advocate an absurd, knee-jerk, notoriously ineffective, (non)-solution. I, on the other hand, highlight your foolish idea via the example of Gun Rights to help make the point.

But hey, if you insist on believing such nonsensical solutions help at all, knock yourself out.

Whether or not your solution would work (it won't, ever) has nothing at all to do with the type of situation to which it is applied. Nice try, though. Any other witty retorts?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

#dosomething

#forthekids

You'ld have to show me the logical fallacy because I'm not seeing it. The argument at hand is not about legal standing, ie Constitutional, and if it was it would be a 1st Amendment issue.

But if you have a fallacy that doesn't immediately come to my mind I'm open to new information, mean time I agree with 46 and 2, still.

The only time I'd agree with group punishment would be in team building among willing participants, like bootcamp or football, different story. The posion of the university is BS and you know what's the second worst part, it won't work.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post