SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is shoplifting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is shoplifting Login/Join 
posted
With minimum people in stores at a time, one way aisles,senior hours, Menard's no one under 16 policy and others, I would expect a drop in shoplifting

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that there are probably businesses telling their employees not to piss with it on top of that because of the potential exposure concerns with detaining somebody in a small office.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You think <16 do the majority of shoplifting???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't have stats yet, but my impression is that shoplifting is definitely down.

But then crime as a whole is down, with the exception of domestics, although a certain unknown percentage of that apparent drop can also be attributed to a significant decline in proactive policing and minor traffic enforcement that uncovers other crimes afoot.

We haven't seen it here (yet), but there are reports from larger areas that commercial burglaries are noticeably up, due to scrotebags taking advantage of all the temporarily shuttered businesses.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Juveniles do the majority of the "spontaneous" small-scale shoplifting, because kids are dumber and more impulsive on average, and more prone to caving to peer pressure from their dumbass friends as the packs of unsupervised kids wander around retail stores and think up stupid shit to do to impress each other.

But adults do the majority of the organized, planned shoplifting, and account for a larger percentage of shoplifting losses overall.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I was inferring to the 'most damage' via shoplifting, organized theft vs the dumb kid stealing small stuff.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We’re getting picked clean of batteries. Wouldn’t surprise me if they get put in locked cases soon.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Batteries are a commonly small-scale shoplifted item, along with clothing, razor blades, and small electronic accessories (earbuds, chargers, cell phone cases, etc.).

The larger-scale organized rings tend to target bigger and pricier things like electronics, kitchen accessories, power tools, toys, and bulk clothing. Most of which are then resold at flea markets, Craigslist, eBay, OfferUp, etc.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Over here, they can literally do a cart push out with $900 worth of stuff and not a thing they can do about it.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoplifting is down here a little for right now.

Usually our shoplifting is a group of teens or young adults going in And grabbing as much alcohol as they can and making a dash for it. Not crap alcohol but, the good stuff or high dollar stuff.

Most of the adults are swiping electronics that they can sell or barter for their next hit of dope.

Posts: 4057 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah. I totally forgot to mention the "beer runs". It's a common problem here over the past several years.

Back in my day, a "beer run" was when one of your buddies was going to the liquor store and asked if you wanted anything.

Nowadays, it's when a pack of 2-5 juveniles or young adults walks into a store (generally a gas station), they all grab multiple cases of cheap beer, and then run out the door to the waiting getaway car (often stolen).

We didn't have that issue until about 5 years ago. Now it's a common occurrence. Used to be, only liquor stores could sell alcohol in Arkansas. Then in the mid-2010s, they opened up beer and wine sales to grocery stores and gas stations. The liquor and grocery stores tend to do a good job of positioning and monitoring to dissuade beer runs. The gas stations are much smaller floorplans, so that limits their positioning options, and generally only have one or maybe two employees actually inside the store, who are often distracted with other duties and customers, all of which makes them the prime targets. Some of the gas stations are even stupid enough to keep large piles of unchilled 30 packs stacked near the door, making it even easier to grab and run.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
We’re getting picked clean of batteries. Wouldn’t surprise me if they get put in locked cases soon.

That just shows that single women are staying home. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Same brazen pattern of shoplifting at my neighborhood grocery chain store.

My son is having fun catching them.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that the stat reports are highly skewed by the reduction in actual arrests.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Shop lifters are pretty much guaranteed a quick release from jail these days. Not as much risk as there is gain.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Over here, they can literally do a cart push out with $900 worth of stuff and not a thing they can do about it.

$950 is the limit! The Guvna was kind enough to account for inflation!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

That just shows that single women are staying home. Razz Big Grin

I suggest rechargeable to my customers

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I guess that is a silver lining. We closed our store to shoppers... only curbside pickup and home delivery so zero shoplifting.

Obviously I’d prefer to have the shoplifting and sales volume back.

Sales are down 60%

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Did I state that ?

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
shop lifting, burglary, porch piracy is almost non-existent in my little town. Traffic accidents have been cut in half. DV is way up.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have no statistics, but I would assume professional shoplifting is down. I no longer am, but for many years I was in charge of a group of investigators who investigated Organized Retail Crime (ORC) and I helped write the law in the Texas Penal Code for Organized Retail Theft.

ORC makes up the vast majority of theft losses to retailers. They steal large quantities of any highly desired product and resell it. Top items they steal are daily required over the counter medications, razor blades, blue jeans, fragrances, baby formula, etc. Right now they would be stealing toilet paper, masks, gloves, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, etc., but there is none or not much to be found.

Right now many stores are closed or low/out of stock on high demand items so hard to steal large quantities. My grocery store is limiting only 50 people in the store so there is only one entrance open to control who enters and exits with several employees at the door, which is a thief’s worst nightmare as they usually will load up with a ton of a specific product and push or carry it out.

I am seeing an increase of people breaking into cars at night in my city. People need to lock their car doors! Thieves are still stealing; they have just adapted their stealing to the current environment.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post