SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Earned my first set of pinstripes :(
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earned my first set of pinstripes :( Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Well, I've got pinstripes on my LX now. Both sides but worse on one side.

I went down a trail that I thought would be easy. Most of it was. But there was a section near the end that was deeply rutted; varied in depth but some areas were a good foot deep or so (not sure how deep but looked deeper than the wheel radius; probably made by 33"+ wheels).

First experience so it was puckering a bit. I tried to avoid as much as possible hence the pinstripes. But sometimes needed to straddle, sometimes drove along side and sometimes needed to cross over (luckily when it was usually shallow and wider).

If it were possible, I probably would have turned around. But as it was, I pressed forward and probably learned a lot and gained some confidence along the way. It was my first time walking a line and imagining how the car would travel. And then actually driving the line hoping I wouldn't tip over or get stuck. It was pretty tense for me as a first timer.

I survived but not looking forward to it again.

Hope the pinstripes are just superficial and will buff out. They didn't rub out with my finger though.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I don't think trail riding and keeping your paint job pristine are compatible.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
haha. Well, we bought the car to use it. So, it's getting used. I'm guessing the first set is hardest. After the first set of scratches and dents, probably won't care much. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Rite of passage. Wait'll you tear off your first wheel flair. Eek

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Better than whiskey scratches. At least it came with good memories.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You are now worthy of being waved to and waving back!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prestoked,

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is there something people use to prevent pinstripes? How about some magnetic sign blanks? Or some removable clear film that some use for the front end?

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t off-road, so I’m really not qualified to answer, but I do ride a motorcycle and go to biker events. When I’m at such events, I often see other motorcycle enthusiasts who are on spotless bikes. No rock chips in the fairings. No bugs on the windshield. The riders are clean and not sun burned. Their leathers are immaculate with that supple sheen that only new or lovingly maintained and carefully cleaned leather can possess. When I see those folk the first thing that comes to mind is “poser.” I don’t feel negatively about them. I’ll sit and swap stories and share a beer with them, but they don’t quite get it and don’t quite fit in.

It’s an off road vehicle. You are actually using it as intended. That is a good thing. Most people buy them and never use them as designed. They instead use them as inefficient station wagons. Put some scratches on it. Dent the fenders. Every defect tells a story. When it gets too scuffed up, do what my brother did to his ancient junker of a Jeep. Rattle can it flat black. Two advantages. You can touch up the fine finish at any time and any where, and if you knock a hole in it you can patch it with a roll of electrical tape. Wink

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That reminds me. I was focused on the pinstripes but I took a pretty good hit on a couple departures. I need to check underneath to see if there was any real damage.

It’s a truck so the ride is a little less refined than my sedan. But after more than an hour of driving on the rough bumpy trail, riding back home on the highway seemed soooooo smooth.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Unless you went really deep, the scratches will buff out just fine. Start with the least aggressive polish (more like a "cleaner" wax) and only move up to polishing/rubbing type compounds after trying the tamer stuff.
I carried a kukri in my truck to do minor trail widening when it was new. Now after 15 years I just push the 4WD button and hit the gas.

re: Dragging the rear end, if you have the trailer light plug hanging under your bumper like my old Tundra, (unlikely), pop out one of the license plate lights and mount it there. You have to have a license plate light but you don't have to have two.

Fun isn't it? Cool

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Just got my first ones on my 4Runner when I had to work by some guy going the opposite direction in a full size pickup truck on a trail. Roll Eyes

I almost wanted to back down the trail behind him and film him on the first switchback. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Part of the offroading experience, getting scratches and such. That is, if you actually use it for more than an over glorified grocery-getter / soccer practice hauler / etc.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Dude, it's like holster wear. I was proud of my first set.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buffing and touch up paint beats hell out of staples and stitches. Having had both.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You're going to get paint damage if you do any amount of off roading at all. Most likely though, those will buff right out. Almost all the damage I've ever had from trees and branches doesn't actually make it into the clear, and you can take it off with a clay bar or something like that.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you complain about getting pinstripes two things are true:

(1) You are oppressed. See Discussion on Oppressed Americans.

(2) You weren't pushing the car hard enough. You'd be getting body panels ripped off if you were.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"after more than an hour of driving on the rough bumpy trail, riding back home on the highway seemed soooooo smooth"

....this leads to "WHAT 'pinstripes'?"

a beauty mark of little/no consequence;

a memento of that earlier time in your previous life where having such scar of encounter was considered something horrid;

ever hear of the 'Heidelberg scar'?

I'm surprised such markings don't come as part of the high-end option kit as a graphic that can be applied/removed as desired....

by the way....

"Congratulations".....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
First scratches on a new car are the most painful. It gets easier after that. Smile I'm expecting many more over the years.

I will say I'll take the pinstripes over getting stuck in the ruts / tipping over any day. Smile

The car did well -- I kept it in 4H and never wanted for more. Well, except for maybe LT tires.

BTW, from the webz, I anticipate that acceleration will be somewhat affected and downshifting will be a little earlier when I go to LT tires from the current p-metric.

But I haven't seen any comments about how it affects braking distance. What, if any, differences should I expect between the K02 and the HT Plus assuming the same size (285/50/20)? Will the K02 require much longer stopping distance?

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Shoot, riding off road isn't fun long term unless you can wear something out. I prefer a beater to off road in.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
First scratches on a new car are the most painful.

I saw a lot of my friends be afraid to use their new vehicles because of fear of scratches. When I buy a new 4WD, the first thing I do is head for some brush to get the first scratch. It's like taking off a band-aid, it's less painful if you do it quickly. Smile When I lived in CA, we called them "manzanita pinstripes."

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post