SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever felt someones presence and then you realize they're near you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever felt someones presence and then you realize they're near you? Login/Join 
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
My example involves phones.

I was enjoying my afternoon one day, and decided I’d call up a good friend of mine. I rarely call people, usually just text, but we had landlines we used when we played online games and didn’t want to talk through the in-game comm. I picked up the phone, and there was no dial-tone. I listened a while to hear a voice finally say “hello?” It was my friend! It didn’t even ring on his end - he finished dialing and basically experienced the same as me - silence.

Mind trip.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I was in the mountains of Japan, in a small town on the Japan Sea coast. I asked my friend if there were any saru (monkeys) around the area. He replied that there were no monkeys anywhere in this prefecture. No sooner had he said that did I glance to my left and saw a herd of over a dozen monkeys crossing a rice field. I told my friend as we stopped at the next intersection, but he didn't believe me. I then pointed down the road at the monkey herd who had just caught up with us, and asked him what are those, then? He was dumbfounded. He later told his parents, who then didn't believe him or me.

Weirder still is that before the trip, people asked me if I was going to see any monkeys on my trip to Japan. I replied that no, I had no plans to see any monkeys.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite often. I also happens when I am in the water and something large swims up, something tells me to turn around and bingo, there it is.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope. Never had such an experience. That AM radio between your ears is geared to keep your body alive on this rock. Period. You have no innate talent for "sensing the auras" of other beings. If you sense the presence of someone, you are being cued by a sound, a shadow, and possibly factoring in circumstances at the moment, such as whether or not others might be present at a moment when normally they are not, assuming some routine.

This goes hand-in-hand with all the 'ghosts' nonsense. No such thing.

Your AM radio receives AM signals.

AM, not XM. Hell, not even FM. We're bipedal animals walking around on a rock floating in the void. No special talents.

Sorry

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same, but similar.

As a senior vet student I swore I'd never practice large animal medicine. Used to waltz past the large animal guys on my way to lunch while they had their arm halfway up a mean cow and laugh at them. Consequently, my large animal skills were rather limited, and I was fine with that. Imagine my concern when my best job offer (the one I took) came from a mixed animal practice I'd externed at....

When I was working, I would inexorably get a really strong sense that I needed to look up this or that, always to do with the large animal side of it. Without fail, I would have a case involving that issue (which I'd just reviewed) within a few days. After this happened a few times, I broke down and told my wife about it. We decided to test it, and when I got that feeling I'd tell her what I needed to look up. Sure enough, within a few days I'd be treating it.

I no longer see the farm animals, but I still get that feeling sometimes on small animal stuff, and it's taught me to pay attention to my intuition.

On an unrelated topic, sometimes I feel like there's a certain gun calling to me, that it just needs me. When I listen to my intuition, I'm correct 100% of the time. It DID need me.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
My example involves phones.

I was enjoying my afternoon one day, and decided I’d call up a good friend of mine. I rarely call people, usually just text, but we had landlines we used when we played online games and didn’t want to talk through the in-game comm. I picked up the phone, and there was no dial-tone. I listened a while to hear a voice finally say “hello?” It was my friend! It didn’t even ring on his end - he finished dialing and basically experienced the same as me - silence.

Mind trip.

I had that exact thing happen three different times when I first started dating my highschool girlfriend. I picked up the phone to call her and started dialing the numbers and after about three numbers, I hear her voice shout "Alex, get off the phone!" She thought her brother had picked up the phone and was trying to dial out. Very weird timing, and it happened three different times.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can only recall 1 time it happened to me and it was a doozy.

I was stationed at Ft. Ord Ca. and on a weekend pass in Santa Cruz when I was wondering what a high school friend in Spokane was up to. 2,000 mi. away. I was walking down the sidewalk when I see him coming toward me in the opposite direction. It is something I will never forget as long as I live.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Yeah! I looked and it was Millard Fillmore...

He is a sneaky fuck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A few days ago while with some co-workers for lunch in a Chinese restaurant, I thought of a girl I took on one date when we were in high school

She wasn't there, and I haven't run into her since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
pay attention to my intuition

Smile

quote:
No special talents

Yes, nothing special about it. We all are born with the capacity. It's just that in some, it's more "developed" than in others.

No magic tricks involved. Unless we call Newton, Bacon, Franklin, Descartes, Jefferson, Washington, and others of the same ilk---magicians.

Jehzsa and many, many others simply caught the organization off-guard. Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A few days ago while with some co-workers for lunch in a Chinese restaurant, I thought of a girl I took on one date when we were in high school

She wasn't there, and I haven't run into her since.

I haven't seen her either. Maybe we ain't got ESPN.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
A week ago I said to my wife "Andrew really needs to get his shit together and ask sandy to marry him" (he was in our wedding). No shit the next day they post on Facebook that they're engaged.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

But more likely this...

quote:
If you sense the presence of someone, you are being cued by a sound, a shadow, and possibly factoring in circumstances at the moment

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
A week ago I said to my wife "Andrew really needs to get his shit together and ask sandy to marry him" (he was in our wedding). No shit the next day they post on Facebook that they're engaged.

The shit you say!

So she's either (1) psychic or (2) she picked up on other cues from the Book of Faces to surmise what Andrew should do for Sandy and got lucky with her comment matching up fortuitously with the occurrence.

I pick (2).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Occasionally.

I’ve called a talent similar to this a “knack”.
To me, it’s simply picking up on subtle cues from my subconscious and putting together information right before the incident happens.

I used to id who was calling (general open phone line for anything and everything, no one had any idea if another employee or vendor would be calling or when) at work before they picked up the phone- freaked people out so I stopped doing it. This was before caller id/lcd screens were available at our offc. I assume I subconsciously noted time patterns of when certain ppl would typically call more than others who worked there.

I remember once in a history class the professor had a product in mind and gave us two clues- not good enough to narrow things down - the whole class sat there in silence for a few before we all gave up, then he walked right next to me to start a movie- right before he started a movie the word he had in mind popped out of my mouth- he thought I was psychic by proximity. I think it just took my brain that long to process through all the possibilities and it was a lucky guess.

And I think everyone does the same thing anytime they take a college course - you have to get in tune with the professor’s wavelength so you won’t be surprised on the exam because certainly some of them don’t (or mine didn’t, anyway) tell you what to expect on the exam, or worse, tell you to expect something other than what they actually put on the exam.

Subtle cues or patterns that your conscious mind dismisses, but your subconscious notes, and pulls back to the forefront if it deems it necessary. Jmho. I know we use only a small portion of our brain, so perhaps there is more to it!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its happened three or four times a month, as long as I can remember.
tuning in is not hard,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Kind of similar experience.

When my wife and I got married, we went on a honeymoon to St. Lucia. We were at the airport at 4am, and my wife had to use the bathroom. In the bathroom, she ran into an old friend, whom my wife use to babysit for her kids, 20 years earlier. The lady had given my wife a Catholic necklace (St. Mary Medallion?), which my wife was wearing.

When my wife graduated college, the lady told her to join a gym to meet a guy. My wife joined a gym, and that's where we met.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Subtle cues or patterns that your conscious mind dismisses, but your subconscious notes, and pulls back to the forefront if it deems it necessary. Jmho. I know we use only a small portion of our brain, so perhaps there is more to it!

I think this explains some of these incidents.

And sometimes it is pure coincidence, and people remember it because the coincidences are memorable while the times when the person you just thought of doesn't show up don't stick in your memory.