SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever felt someones presence and then you realize they're near you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever felt someones presence and then you realize they're near you? Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
The weirdest thing just happened to me at the store about an hour ago.

I walked in and almost immediately started thinking about an old friend. We were really great friends for years and years but we had a bit of a falling out a couple years ago (he's married to a good friend of ours and he banged my wife's sister and that kind of tanked our whole relationship) and haven't seen or talked to him since.

Anyway, I walked into the grocery store and I started thinking about him for some reason. It just hit me. It felt like he was there. I don't know why I started thinking about him. He still lives in the area so it could make sense that he was there (although it's during working hours). Then I started thinking about his dad and how he used to drive us around town in his Chevelle when we were in high school. These thoughts came out of nowhere.

Not five minutes later, I'm over in produce and I hear a deep, familiar voice, talking. I look over and it's my old buddy's dad and his wife!!

WTF-OVER?!? I haven't seen his dad in years either.

That freaked me out big time and I am still thinking about it.

How do I make sense out of this? I mean, what are the odds of that?!?

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The universe is not nearly as simple as you'd like to believe. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This summer vacationing with the wife’s family I was tasked to go on a Walmart run. On the trip I started thinking about an Army buddy I hadn’t seen in about twenty years. Standing in the men’s quality clothing section, I looked up as he walked by. We both recognized each other and chatted to catch up on the past couple of decades. It felt like I had seen him just last week.
Turns out he lives in that little town. Last time I saw him, he was living in Atlanta.
Really weird how stuff like that happens.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
On three separate occasions a Texas Ranger has walked into the same room as me. I didn’t necessarily know it was a Texas Ranger, but I knew SOMEONE had entered the room.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
That has actually happened to me. I was driving home from work one night (police work) thinking about some k9 training that I was to attend the next morning. I got to thinking about a k9 handler from a previous job (there were numerous k9 handlers there) that had retired several years before, he had moved to warmer climate to live on a boat. I never was close to the guy but would see him occasionally on the job before he retired. I show up at training the next day and he’s in the training class, he had recently came back and got hired on with a smaller agency. That messed with me the rest of the day.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Several times.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that humans have a sixth sense, the same way that animals do. It's just that, due to our skeptical nature, we tend to brush it off as being a coincidence or just BS.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I looked and it was Millard Fillmore...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You have now entered the "Coast to Coast AM" twilight zone.

But seriously, yeah it's happened to me too. Very unsettling to say the least.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I've had the experience-- more than once-- of suddenly thinking about someone I have not thought about, or seen, or heard from in years. And then, out of the blue, next day-- sometimes even same day-- I will get a phone call, or email, or our paths cross.

In Hinduism, and Buddhism, consciousness is not contained within our skulls, it is a field we all move through.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same but similar, I have thought about a song, then turned on the radio and it is playing.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I did it with a phone call from a friend I haven't talked to in a long time.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Have you ever thought about someone, and then didn't run into them? How do you make sense of THAT? Wink

My point being, our brains very frequently wander to things and people out of our view, and if those things don't come into view within a certain time frame, we assign no significance to those thoughts. Than all of a sudden, out of the hundreds of thoughts we have a day, if a coincidence as described in the OP happens, we want to assign significance to it that I just don't see as being anything but, in fact, coincidence.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Many, many times I had a song playing in my head (recent and some I haven’t heard in years), then turned on the radio and there it was at or near the song’s beginning.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that phrase "their ears are burning" happens all the time, but your experience is somewhat different.

Often I have not seen a patient/customer for a long time, and one day I just start thinking about them, and about how they are doing. The next day, they call me, and want to come in. So they are thinking about needing my help, my "ears are burning", and they call the next day. Happens multiple times a month.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I picked up the phone (landline!) to call my grandfather. I didn't finish dialing, and he was there! Eek

Turns out he was calling our house at the same time. Spooky.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
On three separate occasions a Texas Ranger has walked into the same room as me. I didn’t necessarily know it was a Texas Ranger, but I knew SOMEONE had entered the room.

Good gosh!! What did you do??

And, more importantly, why did you do it three times?? Eek

Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I pull out my phone to call my wife and she calls me.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Person? No, not that I remember. But a car? Oh yeah.

Many, many moons ago a buddy and I borrowed his dad's jet black Ferrari Mondial for a road trip. Not exactly a Ferris Bueller moment (we had his father's blessing), but it was a great trip. A couple of weeks ago the memory of that trip popped into my head while I was out running some errands for the shop. Not a half mile later while waiting at a stop light, lo and behold a black Mondial went across the intersection.

Nope, no young Kelly LeBrock was in the car (oblique Weird Science shout-out), but it was definitely a 'Whoa, Nelly' moment for me. And a reminder that I DEFINITELY need to do more road trips.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post