SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance. Please get it if you don't have it!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance. Please get it if you don't have it! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of people who worked for me who have needed to tap into it. Our benefits offer a pre or post tax version. I tell anyone who will listen to get the best they have at their disposal. In some cases its even more important than life insurance.

RNshooter, that situation sounds messed up. Has she sought legal counsel? Not a fan of law suits but I'd be looking into one in that situation.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be very careful during the application process. My wife and I applied and part of the process is a phone interview with a "nurse". I had my interview first and during the 20 minute call, I became very uncomfortable with the questioning process. The "nurse" was trained to ask questions in a manner to try and trick you into reveling some personal information that you may not want put out. Don't let down your guard and only answer the questions directly, don't add anything to your answer.
After my grilling, I told my wife to be careful and tipped her off as to the type of questions asked.
Bottom line, she passed, I flunked and was denied coverage. Her premium was going to be huge and we decided to not proceed. Figured it better to set up a fund in our retirement plan to fund unexpected medical expenses.

Posts: 50 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jab -

Sorry to hear about this experience. Could you elaborate (without your personal details) on the types of questions to watch out for? Can you give an example?

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The questions I was asked had to do with skydiving, riding motorcycles and the like. Do not joke. These people are kind of like US custom agents if you know what I mean.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I was always told by HR persons that if you have been employed for a long time.

Do not buy long term disability insurance.

Long term disability pays about 50 percent of your gross to you.

Long term disability will deduct any state disability payments which can very well be leaving you with no payments from the long term disability plan.

At least this fits California.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, she would ask a question such as "have you ever fallen down stairs?". I replied something like sure when someone left a paint brush on the landing and I didn't see it. She followed up with "Oh, so your eyesight might be failing?". No, I replied, it was something I didn't expect to find laying on the stairway. She asked if I was wearing shoes and I replied no, my feet were swollen and my shoes were tight so I took them off. "Oh my she replied. Do your feet become swollen often?" No but sometimes I have a little numbness along with swelling so I am more comfortable barefoot or wearing slippers.
My point in this rambling is to show how the interviewer can get you comfortable enough to start reveling things that you normally wouldn't just bring up in a normal conversation. I do have some neuropathy and my doctor has tested me and said nothing he could do.

Posts: 50 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jab -

Thanks for the information, sounds like very good advice - answer only the specific question asked, and don't elaborate.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly right.