SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to Learn about Cigar Humidors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to Learn about Cigar Humidors Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
I like the occasional good cigar. My problem is that I am only an occasional cigar smoker. Consequently, when I buy a couple of good cigars, it is usually a couple of weeks before I smoke the last one, and I am finding that they are pretty dried out by them.

So, I know that I need a humidor - but don't know much (anything) about them.

I assume some are better than others. What do I look for in a decent humidor (and where to buy one) without breaking the bank?

As always, I appreciate your suggestions and wisdom!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Like gun safes, buy one larger than you think you need. Trust me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
How many do you smoke a week? If its one a week i wouldnt bother! I ended up not keeping up with mine and eventually just decided to buy as i go.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Boveda packs in a sealable container.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the humidity up and season it for a week at least before you put sticks in it, then keep an eye on it and adjust the humidity after the sticks are in, keep your hands off and let it simmer a while.

I think Boveda targets it's product for a different market but it works great for cigars, 72% Boveda packs keep mine at 72%.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
How many do you smoke a week? If its one a week i wouldnt bother! I ended up not keeping up with mine and eventually just decided to buy as i go.

It's probably less than one a week, which is why I have not gotten one yet. But, I bought three nice cigars about 6 weeks ago. I fired up the third tonight and it was pretty dry.

Is your thinking due to the "hassle factor" of maintaining the humidor?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Never heard of these. This sounds like a great idea.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

It's probably less than one a week, which is why I have not gotten one yet. But, I bought three nice cigars about 6 weeks ago. I fired up the third tonight and it was pretty dry.

Get the humidity up before, check after you put the sticks in, fondle the Boveda packs when you get a stick out to make it's not getting "gritty" inside, and enjoy. The only hassle is when you try to "improve" things.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Learn about green oasis floral foam and a 50/50 solution of propylene glycol and distilled (never tap) water to humidify monitored by a hygrometer and thermometer to provide a constant environment of about 68' to 70' F and 70-72% humidity.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ehxbh-8qdsw

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A link to Boveda's tobacco storage products:

https://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/

They also have some videos about how to properly season a wood humidor and other good information but I can't find them at the moment.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only advice I offer is to beware of Cuban Crafters brand humidors.

They look nice and are described nice but are very shoddy.

Other than that I suggest solid wood with cedar liner over veneered mystery wood.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
For that light use I'd suggest a small tupperware container and Boveda packs.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Another option could be a Xikar travel humidor. They are great. For about $20, you'd solve your problem and have a nice "pelican case of cigar cases". They are good for short trips/golf/cigar bar, but in the past I've forgotten about it and the cigars have been fine (longest was about 2 weeks).

https://www.amazon.com/XiKar-X...Travel/dp/B001CZH7PI

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for your use, get the Boveda bags. drop your sticks in the bags then put the bags in something crush-proof. Enjoying a cigar shouldn't include any irritation.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

correct. i quit buying online in bulk and as the stash dwindled down I would just forget about it and come back to dry cigars anyway.

it obviously costs more to buy singles but seeing I couldnt keep up with the maintenance it didnt matter cause a dry cigar would be unpleasant to smoke so buying the by two get 1 deal wasnt even worth it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup - in spades.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
For me it's not just the humidity it's the temperature too.
I am fine in the Winter months but when it starts getting hot out I suffer.
So I converted a cheap wine cooler a few years ago and it has worked out great with Xikar Solution Beads and a regulated temp.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Another option could be a Xikar travel humidor. They are great. For about $20, you'd solve your problem and have a nice "pelican case of cigar cases". They are good for short trips/golf/cigar bar, but in the past I've forgotten about it and the cigars have been fine (longest was about 2 weeks).

I'd do this and combine it with the boveda packs.

https://www.amazon.com/XiKar-X...Travel/dp/B001CZH7PI

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
For that light use I'd suggest a small tupperware container and Boveda packs.

This is what I did. I ordered a couple of the Boveda packs and a rubbermaid container (I've learned to tamper with the wife's Eek).

Thanks for all the good input - much appreciated!

Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Until you get enough to need one of these:

Stick with Jeff's recommendation and get a Tupperware container and buy a Boveda pack online or at your cigar shop. I prefer the 62% ones.

Here's the container I used (had three of them before I bought the wine fridge pictured above):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post