SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milwaukee 18V battery USB power adapter question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milwaukee 18V battery USB power adapter question Login/Join 
posted
I have an adapter coming that will slip on my Milwaukee 18V drill batteries and provide a USB port for charging phones and such.

Being that I am not an electrician, and I was hoping someone here could help me do some math. The batteries are the M18 LiON 5.0amp hour. I know the typical USB charging port is 5V. How will these batteries compare to say a 12,000Mah external battery pack? Physical size of the drill battery is obviously much larger than a 12,000Mah battery, so I'm hoping that equates to longer lasting power. The step down from 18V to 5V is throwing me off though.

I'm going to scout camp with my son in a few weeks and I'm taking several external battery packs to charge the phone, and I'm hoping the drill batteries can be used to power a small USB fan for night time comfort. We went to Florida last summer for camp and went sailing off the Keys. The thing that saved me at night was the boat had small fans on each bunk that blew on your head and tamed the heat enough to sleep some. I'm sure St.Louis will be hot too, so I'm trying to plan ahead.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, but as long as they last in my tools, one battery would last and last and last.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
S Bar F?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5A-hr @ 18V = 90W-hr
12,00mA-hr @ 5V = 60W-hr.

I can get 2+ charges on 10000mA-hr on my Galaxy Note 4. (Anker brand)
You'll lose some (or maybe a lot) in the conversion, depending how good the adapter is (most are cheap & waste a lot of power).

I built a USB charger into a 12V Bosch flashlight (cut a rectangle for connector, soldered a 2$ USB converter in). I haven't run a battery charging a phone, but if I leave the battery plugged in, it will discharge it. Guess I should have added a switch (or read the datasheet more carefully...). IT was a cheap & easy project when I was swapping the LED anyway.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
S Bar F?

Yep, Camp Famous Eagle.

I'm guessing you're familiar with it. Do you know if the dining hall or trading post has outlets to charge items?

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post