SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Sedate my dog for grooming
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Sedate my dog for grooming Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Do you live in Colorado ?

No, we're up in Kalispell, Montana at present.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
It takes a village.....
...and sometimes, a rubber mallet.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Seriously. If he really freaks, make tune grooming appointment at the vets and let them sedate him. Benadryl may or may not work, and if he is freaking out he may not get done, or he or the groomer may get hurt. I'm a vet and we prefer to monitor if we have to drug them. And we have some pretty good drugs.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just go to the vet and get proper meds for its weight. We keep some on hand for major storms and around the 4th of July.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jus' be cool

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I second the advice to go on a long walk and then Benadryl 1mg per POUND of body weight (per my vet) about 1 hr before grooming. Make sure to provide plenty of water after walk and before grooming. Check with your vet to be sure. With Some animals and people Benadryl actually causes the opposite reaction (excitement) so YMMV.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Do you live in Colorado ?

No, we're up in Kalispell, Montana at present.

Mike

Weed is bad for dogs. They cant process it. There was a recent video of weimer who ingested a joint just staring at wall and falling down. Keep the weed away from the dogs.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
You could try a Thundershirt, which calms some dogs, but then your pup would have a dog version of the "chili bowl" Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Update - We took the boys for a walk after administering 75mg of Benydral. About 90 minutes later we started the dreaded task of dematting and combing Bailey.

He was much easier after the Mrs. slipped him the Mickie in a little raw 90% hamburger. For a 10 year old dog, he's got lots left in the tank......and the hair will grow back.

Thanks for the advice.

By the way, the rubber mallet is still downstairs and the pepperoni is still in the fridge. I can't find the Ole No. 7 anywhere.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post