SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Sedate my dog for grooming
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Sedate my dog for grooming Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
My male bearded collie is a mess after 6 months without grooming. We place him in a friends house while we are away for winter and he wasn't groomed at all.

He absolutely hates grooming and I am looking for a way to 'mellow' him to make the task easier for all involved.

No, I won't shoot him or get him hooked on Wild Turkey.

Is there any OTC supplements that will work?

Thanks

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dogadryl

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
You can use human benadryl on dogs. Our vet told us to use it on our dog when he was getting some itchy-scratchy stuff going on...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
give him a bunch of exercise before the appointment.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Benadryl.

A few years back, my previous Golden had an allergic reaction to something and his face swelled up like you wouldn't believe. I called my brother, a vet, and he told me to feed him some benadryl and if that didn't help then take him to my local vet (All Creatures up on Reserve).

The benadryl worked great. He was calmer than anything and then he slept for about two days. Of course, I may have overdosed him a bit.... Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Combine the above suggestions: a long walk or run, followed by Benadryl pills.

quote:
The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog. Always double check the dosage before giving an over the counter medication. In addition, many formulations are combined with other medications such as Tylenol so make sure Benadryl tablets contain only diphenhydramine.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/...l-and-if-so-how-much

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
pepperoni worked for my dog who hated nail grooming. The toots were unfortunate miscalculation but he now has no issue with it.

lol para 3 for 3

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
pepperoni worked for my dog who hated nail grooming.
Seems kinda odd, but yeah, whack him on the head with one of these until he passes out.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Laughing my ass off at Para. Big Grin

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have used "Quiet Moments Calming Aid" made by NaturVet. We got ours at Petco. It worked for our 'enthusiastic' setter mix when she gets groomed. The groomer said 'she wasn't any problem at all'. Remember YMMV.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webley Green:
We have used "Quiet Moments Calming Aid" made by NaturVet.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Get him some action with a female dog, he'll probably roll right over and go to sleep....

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Well folks-----

Lots of good suggestions but we went the Benydral route ev n though I had a number of ideas already in our home.

I'm gonna drug him in the morning and report later in the day.

It takes a village.....

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My local pet store sells these dog chews called Happy Traveler. They will mellow out my Dutch Shepherd enough for him to tolerate fireworks, they should get your collie stoned enough to deal with the groomer. Good luck!

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather than sedate him, I would make him suffer through it, then at the end give him a really good treat and he might associate grooming with a really good treat at the end.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Do you live in Colorado ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If he is picky, you can hide you sedation drug of choice in pill pocket snacks/treats.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post