SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your hobby?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your hobby? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I have made most of the furniture and cabinetry in my house. And I still have all my fingers (but I do have some scars). Smile

Ahh, you're one of that rare breed of 10-fingered scoutmasters! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Firearms is my main one, but other interests include:

- collecting and drinking wine, scotch, and gin

- collecting and smoking cigars

- guitars,

- cooking

- working out

- roasting coffee beans

- collecting music CDs

Lifelong hobbies such as biking, writing and recording my own music, collecting vinyl records, and camping/hiking have fallen off the wayside, hope to pick these up again in the future.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Guns. Cycling (primarily road, just recently dipping my toes into MTBs.) History. Learning ukulele.

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mountain biking,
Messing around with guns and reloading,
Kayaking and kayak fishing,
Sailing - when I get the chance,
Cooking on the Big green egg (I've perfected my brisket)

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Over the past year and a half I've dove headfirst into fishing for trophy blue catfish on the Tennessee River. Sadly my gun buying, shooting, and reloading has suffered due to my new addiction.

Apologies if the pics come out wonky. New to this imgur thing. I'll fix them if something is messed up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dkjbama,

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The history of motion picture film

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's too many times watching repeats of the old Top Gear (UK), but I like to drive. For years I obsessed over getting an SUV to go off-roading but then discovered the closest SUV park to me is 4 hours away. Then I thought, why not use roads? I bought a motor cycle, a Suzuki S50 Boulevard, drove it and really enjoyed it for 3 summers then I had a crash and decided perhaps I'll stick to 4 wheels. The Acura RSX has been on my wish list for many years. Acura discontinued the RSX in 2006 so I knew I'd have to get one before they become hard to find (I always buy 10 year old cars anyway). I got a good paying job and found this one on Carmax with only 85,000 miles, so I snatched it up! I put 22,000 miles on it in the first year of ownership and I have found so many great twisty roads that are close to me to drive. Drove it 6 hours to see in the in-laws and got 36.1 MPG. Not bad for an 11 year old car!

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baling hay! An art, not a science, and the learning never stops. One must also become an expert in weather forecasting (climate science!), agronomy, botany, and chemistry. All under the kind guidance of the ever helpful governmental agencies. And it's real good exercise for sweating off those extra pounds.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amateur Radio, HO scale model railroading, photography, reading (book worm), collecting and reading older books especially in regard to history, Atlases and Governement. Interesting insight on the old stuff.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
Photography and biking.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
<snip>
For a few years we've collected rocks <snip>

One of my uncles was a rock hound. Once when I was out with him I asked what a certain rock was. "Leaverite," he replied. I said that I hadn't heard of leaverite. "Leave 'er right there," he advised.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Many of mine have been mentioned. Guitar, amateur radio, motorcycling, gardening, hunting, fishing, beekeeping, all things outdoors related.

I have, however, become somewhat of an amateur prepper and am working at getting myself to a point where I could not just survive, but survive comfortably should all hell break loose. I'm currently working on getting an off-grid solar array set up and I purchased a freeze-drier last winter and have been busy storing up foods.

As well, I've long believed that I was born 100 years too late and as such, much prefer things old school. While I partake in (and enjoy the luxury they provide) the technological advances of the 21st century to a degree, I would, for example, much rather cook a dinner of homegrown organic meat/veggies in cast iron on a woodstove than run to the store, buy something GMO'd and mass produced and pumped full of chemicals, bring it home and microwave it. Or, I'd rather light my home with oil lamps at night than flip on a light switch. There's just something comforting about it to me.

To that end, I really enjoy learning (or trying to remember in some cases) how to do things the old ways. Hunting/gathering my own organic foods, food preservation, saving heirloom seeds, making soaps from scratch, etc.... Currently I'm trying to make my own apple cider vinegar.

Yes, I'm a bit weird.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in my 35th season of building and flying model aircraft. Everything from electric helicopters to turbine jets. The link below is to a video of me flying one of my jets at a jet rally last fall. I am the one in the straw hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dvq1uPkYI

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Broadly speaking, computers. More specifically, all Internet protocols, routing and lower layers, OS's that lend themselves to this, such as unix and OS-X/MacOS. I like to mess around with configuring the services that make the Internet function, and using them. For OS's, I prefer FreeBSD in console mode only, and MacOS for a GUI and command line.

I also like to mess around in the garage, wrenching, welding, heating and bending, pressing, milling, whatever I can find to tinker with.

Mostly, I find myself cutting the grass and trimming trees Frown

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

feeding and watching the wild birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwifggWIpk

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post