SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corvette C8 finally revealed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corvette C8 finally revealed Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
But, if you got into it, why would you want to get out of it?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
No one is getting a hummer in that sumbitch. Razz

Maybe not "in" but want to take a bet on how many it generates out of the car?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the way out to dinner last night, we drove up next to a black Acura NSX - beautiful mid engine, performance hybrid car. MSRP $159,490.

With a starting price under $60K, I think that they will sell (or lease) a bunch of these new Sting Rays.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Trivia: What year was there no Corvette?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
C3 or earlier for me please. After 83 or so they got ugly. Z06's were ok, more for performance than looks, but also by far the best looking post 1980's made, yet.

New one looks cool, it's not a Vette, awesome car either way.

I'll buy a used one at some point the 2024's will be a great value in 2029 prior to 50th Birthday.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

It can be argued that there is one 83 vette in this world

1983 corvette

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
::drooooool::

I’ve been following this thing for a while now and absolutely love it.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I heard something about them keeping a front engine vette for a while with Corvette being the brand and having 2 models. Is this happening?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Like Skins said, I too prefer a C2 or C3 but I'd take a C1 also.

To add what .30supersig said about the Fiero, I agree. A lot of the suspension parts incorporated in the first offering of the Fiero were from other GM cars. There were Chevette parts in it, also some X or J body parts, I forget now. Worst thing was the Pontiac produced 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" or as we called it in the dealerships "Iron Puke". I did love those cars when they campaigned them for engine fires. We replaced engines left and right under warranty, definitely helped my paycheck.

They finally got the Fiero right for the 1988 model year. Then GM killed it off.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Finally a mid engined car that won't break the bank for maintenance and has more than a V6.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
One aspect or characteristic of mid-engined autos that only comes up now and then because most folk have never physically encountered it in their vehicles is their low polar moment of inertia aka their second moment about their CG. By 'low' is meant lower than is common with either front or rear engined(mass biased) autos.

Lower 2nd moments are much desired in road racing autos and are highly responsive to driver inputs. That quality is also true for external forces such as road surfaces and side winds acting on the auto. Being only familiar with street driven front engined autos some or many drivers may not be so receptive or readily adaptable to what they perceive to be the loss of straight line stability that is inherent from the greater polar moments of their front engined(or even rear engined) autos. This is an old and much debated topic that has been around for 60 years or more that may soon resurface. The lawyers may even get a piece of it, bye and bye.

All it took to educate me was my VW/Porsche 914. While driving it in a straight line just south of Chicago I suddenly, while leisurely driving in a straight line, encountered road ice, whoops a 720 degree spin ensued. Fortunately, the road was 4 lanes and momentarily had no traffic and I recovered. At that point I had already owned, driven and raced(and spun) several rear engined Porsche 356 models for at least a decade(one being a very tail heavy 4-cam 2L Carrera). So I was/am very familiar with oversteer and the means to mitigate it. Plus as an engineer I have a very good grasp of moments.

So I expect that GM will have already taken many steps to minimize the probability of sudden whoopsies by whatever electronic means they have at their disposal(ESP), but that this topic will likely soon be raised if the new Vettes have retained much of that quality that so many think they want. Just for starters a near empty up-front fuel tank will cause a very noticeable change in handling stability from a full one.

Cool

I remove my cover in your presence, Sir. Anybody who can think about polar moments and metacentric heights whilst pirouetting down a four-lane highway is clearly a man of some grit.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Very sharp car. BUT I wouldn't get the first model year.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
No manual?! Why? Autos kill any interest I have in a fun to drive car.

It looks great too bad about the transmission. Just like with the new Supra the auto only bullshit removes any interest I have in owning such a vehicle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Exactly my sentiment. I'd have more fun driving a Honda Fit than an auto Corvette. I'll opt for the 2019 model over the stingray.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a C5 and still love the looks, the C6 didn't do it for me, the C7 was OK, the C8 is a winner!

For you stick shift fans, rumor has it that the Z06 and a later version, the Zora, will be available in stick, 800 and 1000 HP!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:

Until you drive a modern, paddle shift auto. They are FASTER than any manual. If You want slower, be my guest.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

Until you drive a modern, paddle shift auto. They are FASTER than any manual. If You want slower, be my guest.

Nowhere near as fun to drive as a manual, and I own a paddle shift car.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

I'd say 95% of the people who will buy this car will never have it on a race track or properly race it, so really, who cares if it's a few tenths of a second or even seconds faster than a manual? I want to feel the car and enjoy the experience of driving it, like up a curvy mountain pass. Where's the fun when the car does everything for you?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ what he said.

I’m very disappointed in Chevy for leaving off the manual.

The future of sports cars looks pretty depressing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post