SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corvette C8 finally revealed
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corvette C8 finally revealed Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé: Where's the fun when the car does everything for you?

I know. Once they took away my hand crank starter, they were dead to me. Don’t even get me started on no fuel mixture control.

BTW: I owned a manual Camero with a stick. My Corvette is an auto.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé: Where's the fun when the car does everything for you?

I know. Once they took away my hand crank starter, they were dead to me. Don’t even get me started on no fuel mixture control.

Well that's a pretty silly comparison, isn't it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30298 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
A random thought:

Just as my 1970's Porsche 914 once had, the new GM Corvette has inserted a ridiculously huge intrusive tunnel between the two seats. In the 914 it fortunately was entirely fabbed of cardboard, so I easily tore it out yielding gobs more interior space. The one in the C8 is twice as large and yet there is neither a transmission, shift linkage(as in the 914), nor drive shaft for it to accommodate!

It probably does contain a longitudinal box section(or tubular) structural chassis backbone/stiffener just as the brilliant Colin Chapman first used in the his Lotus Elan chassis. But even such a stiffener of steel wouldn't need to be as large as this ludicrous intrusion, which only needs to route a fuel line and a few wires!

I suspect it is there due to the same psychological desire for mental comfort(as discovered to greatly benefit sufferers of autism) that GM has used in their Camaro for 50+ years. For some reason largely unknown, or at least never spoken to, many people clearly prefer and are more comfortable when being accommodated in a cramped automobile space. Perhaps it relates to a deeply hidden need for the comforting, maternally provided, safety of being closely held as an infant, because mechanically it makes little if any sense.

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
It probably does contain a longitudinal box section(or tubular) structural chassis backbone/stiffener just as the brilliant Colin Chapman first used in the his Lotus Elan chassis. But even such a stiffener of steel wouldn't need to be as large as this ludicrous intrusion, which only needs to route a fuel line and a few wires!

Towards the end of the Jay Leno video, the guy Jay is talking to mentions how other mid-engine cars have structural bits that make it hard to get in and out of the car and the C8 does not. I wondered how GM managed that and I believe you have found the answer.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Many automobiles have utilized frame rails on their sides for additional stiffening of the chassis whether they were fabbed of sheet metal or stout steel beams. For many years now those structures have also assisted with resistance to side crash intrusion. One of my most memorable models with such (which I almost purchased circa 1972) was a Mercedes 300 SL convertible. The coupe had the same structure though and one had to climb over either's high sides to enter, similarly to a boat. My friend who owned it actually discouraged me from buying it, saying drove like a heavy truck and too it was in need of some sort of mechanical repair. A big mistake on my part as it was cheap.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Towards the end of the Jay Leno video, the guy Jay is talking to mentions how other mid-engine cars have structural bits that make it hard to get in and out of the car and the C8 does not. I wondered how GM managed that and I believe you have found the answer.

most MR cars are carbon fiber tubs, I suspect based on them talking about the aluminum chassis they might have gone with an X frame.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there's going to be a hybrid and a full-electric version, too!! whoopee.

I'll take the full-fat V8, thanks. In red.

Or Monaco blue.

Either with light tan upholstery.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Great. Maybe a hybrid is finally in my future. It'd be a nice retirement present.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching a video of this thing with the motor running and accelerating. You guys who opt for one of these better plan to install an aftermarket exhaust on it. That exhaust note is sad for a "supercar".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Hello Michael

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I was curious about the longitudinal stiffness of the C8 following tales of GM's bending problems (glass and body panels), that aspect following internet tales of the lack thereof in 800-1000 bhp version(s) trials. I searched on GM and hydro-forming and found this link--- https://altairenlighten.com/ne...uce-stingray-weight/

Thus the Corvette began production of hydro-formed aluminum rails since some time in 2013-14. I was deeply involved in the non-linear FEA of hydro-forming in the latter half of the 1980's, additionally to the extent of making motion videos thereof, one frame at a time, when one frame took quite an inordinate amount of time on very high powered computers. The above link is an interesting read and implies a lot about the C8. It will probably be few months(or maybe much more) before we get to see a cut-away drawing of the C8's internals in a magazine or online.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'm assuming I can't get a third pedal in that thing... Roll Eyes

8 speed dual clutch only.

The trade off is 60mph in under 3 seconds.

This dies my interest in the vette... Damn automatics.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
I was curious about the longitudinal stiffness of the C8 following tales of GM's bending problems (glass and body panels), that aspect following internet tales of the lack thereof in 800-1000 bhp version(s) trials. I searched on GM and hydro-forming and found this link--- https://altairenlighten.com/ne...uce-stingray-weight/

Thus the Corvette began production of hydro-formed aluminum rails since some time in 2013-14. I was deeply involved in the non-linear FEA of hydro-forming in the latter half of the 1980's, additionally to the extent of making motion videos thereof, one frame at a time, when one frame took quite an inordinate amount of time on very high powered computers. The above link is an interesting read and implies a lot about the C8. It will probably be few months(or maybe much more) before we get to see a cut-away drawing of the C8's internals in a magazine or online.

Or; right now.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-d...-impressi-1836540969

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Hello Michael

I can't stop laughing. I really wasn't expecting that, but it was perfect. Big Grin

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thought the suspension geometry seemed interesting. Looks like power steering was left off completely. That and the O2 sensors are on the top and the spark plugs have to be changed from underneath the car. Dry sump. Hidden door handles. Gas door on the driver side.

Take the top off and put it in the trunk. Get a tonneau for the passenger seat because nobody'll sit there anyway...

I like it. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Hello Michael

I can't stop laughing. I really wasn't expecting that, but it was perfect. Big Grin

I actually surprised myself by "getting" this one: Michael Knight Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Made this up for fun this morning with a few images I found on line. As a former Fiero owner some of the stuff floating around making the comparisons cracked me up.

I think it's a really cool car and a great value at the price point. The styling isn't really my thing though and I don't care for the interior at all but that's like saying the supermodel has knobby knees. Happily Sticking with my Mustang GT. Totally different animal but more my flavor.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
Fiero owner

You forgot the engine fire in your illustration.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
Fiero owner

You forgot the engine fire in your illustration.

Mine never lit up but once I helped a guy on the side of the highway whose did. That Magnesium grill in the back made a great BBQ rack! The 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" in mine made all of 92hp and there were times in the summer I would turn the A/C off to get a little extra power to merge into traffic. Still, I had a lot of fun with that stupid little thing in my college days. Actually here it is, GM's last mid engine car:

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Do the 'air scoops' in the back do anything, or are they cosmetic?

Functional

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post