SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corvette C8 finally revealed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corvette C8 finally revealed Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chevrolet still has over 8k 2018 and 2019 C7's in inventory. Best incentive a buddy of mine has seen is 15k off MSRP with 7 years 0% financing. I'd grab one of them, as the last front-engine Vette. May not ever appreciate, but maybe, since its the last of the breed.....
And when that's paid off, or well down, move into one of the new Stingrays after all the bugs are worked out. The C7 is a really well sorted out car...lots of performance for the money.
But having just driven a Ferrari 488 in Vegas last month, this is a double-take inducing car.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Remember when ...

I wonder if they learned anything.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Wow! That car is a home run.

Mid engine car that will accelerate 0-60 under 3 seconds, handle better than you can drive with a nice interior and my golf clubs still fit in the back. All for less than $60k, that’s unbelievable.

Only problem is you’re going to see them everywhere because this car has just smashed everything in the bang for your buck performance category.

Agree. Chevy will sell a LOT of these.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Mid engine car that will accelerate 0-60 under 3 seconds, handle better than you can drive with a nice interior and my golf clubs still fit in the back. All for less than $60k, that’s unbelievable.

Only problem is you’re going to see them everywhere because this car has just smashed everything in the bang for your buck performance category.

First model year, yes. After that, I doubt it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Interior looks awful and the exterior poorly emulates the NSX.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
It looks like a chunk of that scoop opens up with the door....
Intakes for the Pratt&Whitnet J58s... Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don’t have the skills to drive a car where the motor is behind me.

I do! I had a Corvair in High School. Bring it on...

The Corvair was rear engine. The new Vette is mid engine. The handling characteristics will be much different.

You are right of course... DANG, guess I better wait then... But as I recall the 0 to 60 time of my Corvair was also under 3... a bit under 3 days that is, LOL!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

First model year, yes. After that, I doubt it.

Likely the reason they are killing the Camaro to keep the vette numbers up in a few years.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the looks and performance numbers. I think with time, I will like it even more. I have owned a number of Corvettes over the years, and still own a 1979 model. I love how a mid-engine car handles, and I suspect that this car will drive like it is on a rail. I want to see one in person before I make any decisions.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Welcome to the party, pal." Razz

I love the Ford GT however you need $500K and to be pre-approved by Ford to get one, Jay Leno got one, most people are not Jay Leno, oh and you agree not to resell it when you buy it, or Ford gets to come take it from you, and any cash you get selling it......

It's still cool...

Vette, anyone with the cash and job (cash flow) can buy one, from base to hyperformance levels.

Vette starting around $50K it's one tenth the cost at entry level.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Remember when ...

Fiero was a sporty commuter car more than anything. This is a real sports car.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why is the steering wheel almost square?

As I've said before, it's a little too Ferrari-wannabe-looking to me, it's lost that iconic Corvette look that let know know it was a Vette from far off.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Remember when ...

Fiero was a sporty commuter car more than anything. This is a real sports car.

Also of note: the Fiero was originally designed with a multilink suspension before the bean counters tacked some struts on every corner. The later GT models were truer to the original design.

GM has been consistent in one way: Refine a car to the best of your ability, then immediately cancel it.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don’t have the skills to drive a car where the motor is behind me.

I do! I had a Corvair in High School. Bring it on...

The Corvair was rear engine. The new Vette is mid engine. The handling characteristics will be much different.

You are right of course... DANG, guess I better wait then... But as I recall the 0 to 60 time of my Corvair was also under 3... a bit under 3 days that is, LOL!

That's a bit faster than the 0-60 of my '82 240D. It was 0-60 in....maybe.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
One aspect or characteristic of mid-engined autos that only comes up now and then because most folk have never physically encountered it in their vehicles is their low polar moment of inertia aka their second moment about their CG. By 'low' is meant lower than is common with either front or rear engined(mass biased) autos.

Lower 2nd moments are much desired in road racing autos and are highly responsive to driver inputs. That quality is also true for external forces such as road surfaces and side winds acting on the auto. Being only familiar with street driven front engined autos some or many drivers may not be so receptive or readily adaptable to what they perceive to be the loss of straight line stability that is inherent from the greater polar moments of their front engined(or even rear engined) autos. This is an old and much debated topic that has been around for 60 years or more that may soon resurface. The lawyers may even get a piece of it, bye and bye.

All it took to educate me was my VW/Porsche 914. While driving it in a straight line just south of Chicago I suddenly, while leisurely driving in a straight line, encountered road ice, whoops a 720 degree spin ensued. Fortunately, the road was 4 lanes and momentarily had no traffic and I recovered. At that point I had already owned, driven and raced(and spun) several rear engined Porsche 356 models for at least a decade(one being a very tail heavy 4-cam 2L Carrera). So I was/am very familiar with oversteer and the means to mitigate it. Plus as an engineer I have a very good grasp of moments.

So I expect that GM will have already taken many steps to minimize the probability of sudden whoopsies by whatever electronic means they have at their disposal(ESP), but that this topic will likely soon be raised if the new Vettes have retained much of that quality that so many think they want. Just for starters a near empty up-front fuel tank will cause a very noticeable change in handling stability from a full one.

Cool

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
No one is getting a hummer in that sumbitch. Razz

Word!!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. I know this first hand and know I don’t have the skills to drive this car unless the computer is good enough to keep me safe. Smile

I envy those that have the skills and money to enjoy this car. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Welcome to the party, pal." Razz

My brother has a silver one of those with blue stripes, gorgeous car. Also just got a silver 488 Pista Ferrari. Too much disposable income.

Ask him if he'd like to be my brother, too.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
My old pal RW, who is 7' 2", says the only US-made care he can get in a a Corvette roadster, 'cos the seat rails go back far enough.

I think he's going to have to give this one a miss, as it looks like it was made inside for Danny DeVito.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I used to drive a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera,LOVED that big blueprinted, 450HP, rumbling, American V-8 right behind me and my right ear. No lack of road feel, no power steering.
I'm a FORD guy,
I have owned a couple Vetts 1970 454,4spd, coupe, 1987 coupe.
I LOVE this new Vette!
If I thought I could get out of it,I would get in it.
My friend keeps offering me his 1998 Lingenfelter Vette, I don't get in it because if I found I could get out of it, I would want it.
Way to go Chevy!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post