SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corvette C8 finally revealed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corvette C8 finally revealed Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I had a BMW M3 with the sequential manual gearbox (paddle shifters). It was state of the art 20 years ago. It was just as fun to drive as a manual. You get to be in the gear you want, without worrying about the left pedal. You could achieve sharp, aggressive, full power shifts with a pull of a lever. VrrrrrroooOOOM *snick* vroooooOOOM. I imagine the Dual Clutch and performance auto transmissions 20 years later would be even better.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Before I purchased my C5 I consulted my urologist. He said the manual transmission won’t add inches to my dick nor will the automatic subtract inches. I went with the auto Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Before I purchased my C5 I consulted my urologist. He said the manual transmission won’t add inches to my dick nor will the automatic subtract inches. I went with the auto Big Grin

I posted a thread last year about buying a 90s Viper GTS in a few years or buying a C5 Z06 now. I test drove a few Z06s and the manual was so notchy I was shocked. It was the main thing I didn't like, and I opted to wait until I can afford the GTS as a result. But with private high school on the horizon I may end up in a regular C5.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that want a manual transmission, there are plenty of classics out there to feed your desire. This is for those that want the latest technology at a realistic price.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I'll pass.

Hopefully in my manual transmission Camaro...

and even if it won't pass this, I'll still pass.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

PD, try a C7. I have a C7 with a 7 speed manual. No comparison! C7’s (14’s & 15’s) can be had at a reasonable price. I think I’ll wait on the C8. Maybe they’ll do a ZO6 in a year or two.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I imagine the Dual Clutch and performance auto transmissions 20 years later would be even better.

First DCT I finally jumped in on was a ‘15 PDK. After 30 years of manuals.

Yeah, you’re right!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

No need to be salty because you can’t drive a manual equipped car. Wink

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Love the cockpit and how everything is aimed at the driver. I had a 92 Eclipse GSX Turbo where the center stack, radio, etc were all aimed at the driver and love this about the new Stingray.

I still prefer a manual transmission, much more engaging to drive so I will skip this. If this had a manual transmission option I’d wait for the initial demand bs to subside and buy one. I have driven many DCT’s. They are quick, fun, etc, but the manual provides more engagement to me and I end up enjoying the car so much more with one.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Manual transmission, I'm driving the car.

Automatic transmission, the car is taking me for a ride.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Cute. I began with 3 on the tree at 15 years old. Had manual most of my adult life. I’m done shifting gears. Now I’m old and I like all the toys. Auto trans, memory power seats, premium stereo, shiny wheels, the fancy-ass traction control computer and all the rest of the options.
Just not sure about a mid-engine Vette yet. I’ll have to drive it first.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Cute. I began with 3 on the tree at 15 years old. Had manual most of my adult life. I’m done shifting gears. Now I’m old and I like all the toys. Auto trans, memory power seats, premium stereo, shiny wheels, the fancy-ass traction control computer and all the rest of the options.
Just not sure about a mid-engine Vette yet. I’ll have to drive it first.

I also learned to drive a stick with three on the tree. Dual clutch auto transmission sounds fine to me too along with all the other fancy toys.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved my old 4spd. Can’t imagine having a couple more gears to grab!
“Gotta be cool now, power shift here we go.”

Reality is now with a bad left knee, it’d have to be an auto. Frown. Damn arthritis found me!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I imagine a lot of C7 owners still making payments are pissed they didn’t wait.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the lack of a manual is a deal killer with this car. Hear me out before calling me a blasphemor.

My first manual was a 5 speed, 1986 Honda CRX with all of 76hp. You had to use all the gears to get it going. Passing another vehicle required downshifting to 3rd then up to 4th and 5th. You could wind out the motor in each gear and it was fun. Next up was a 1992 Prelude Si. About twice as much horse power as the CRX, but you still had to use all the gears. Of course it was faster and more fun.

I'll mention the 2000 Dodge Dakota with a 5 speed and 4.7 liter V8, but let's face it, it was a step down in the handling department. I still enjoyed shifting and driving it.

Next up the 2000 Honda S2000 with a 6 speed my wife brought with her when we got married. 9,000rpm red line, narrow power band, and when shifted well... what a fun car. Even just driving around out of the power was still fun.

Now we get to the Silver Bullet. A C5 coupe. The fastest car I've driven and the fastest I've drive in a car. 6th gear was there for meeting EPA Hwy mileage. Top speed was in 5th gear. With a wide power band, driving around town was 1st, 3rd, 4th. Fun from a stop light was 1st, 2nd, 4th. Getting on a freeway, 2nd, 3rd, 6th. Passing, 3rd, 6th. Really, winding out the engine in each gear was fun, but resulted in speeds well above the posted limits in a short period of time. Great car, loved the power, the sound of the V8, and handling, but was it fun to drive on regular roads? Of course it was, but we still own the S2000.

A 7 speed in the C7 and I have to ask why? Is 7 speeds more fun than 5 or 6 or was it done to meet overall EPA mileage requirements? In the C5, 5th and 6th were both overdrives and 6th was only useful to meet EPA Hwy mileage. Could it be that meeting EPA requirements is the reason there isn't a manual option for the C8?

As far as how it looks, I'm not a fan of all the black plastic bits tacked on. I wasn't a fan of them on the C7 either. I don't like the Camaro back end or the giant black plastic inserts in the front end. Do those inserts serve any functional purpose? The headlights look good, even if they don't flip up. The middle of the car and cooling scopes on the rear fenders are fantastic.

With three kids in elementary school, it isn't on my list. Maybe a C10.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hope this hasn't been posted somewhere here:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NZGCJu2OaAg

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

I posted a thread last year about buying a 90s Viper GTS in a few years or buying a C5 Z06 now. I test drove a few Z06s and the manual was so notchy I was shocked. It was the main thing I didn't like, and I opted to wait until I can afford the GTS as a result. But with private high school on the horizon I may end up in a regular C5.

The GTS is a sexy car but not a fun car to drive on the street. The ass end gets away from you way too easy. But the biggest detractor is if you get on it one time, your feet and legs roast for the next hour. The lack of insulation in the floor combined with the side pipes, the heat just radiates up from the floor boards, so while the a/c is blowing cold air on your upper body, your legs just feel like they're roasting. I've also driven several Z06's. The shifter feel on the Z06 can be easily fixed. But the z06 is easily driven hard, a torque monster and just lots of fun without feeling your legs are in a steam bath.

The new automatic transmissions are faster than any person can be with a manual. With the paddle shifters, they're just as much fun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
No manual?! Why? Autos kill any interest I have in a fun to drive car.

Until you drive a modern, paddle shift auto. They are FASTER than any manual. If You want slower, be my guest.

I'd say 95% of the people who will buy this car will never have it on a race track or properly race it, so really, who cares if it's a few tenths of a second or even seconds faster than a manual? I want to feel the car and enjoy the experience of driving it, like up a curvy mountain pass. Where's the fun when the car does everything for you?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKekXzEMwxc

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Big Grin

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in a 2015 Mustang GT with 7k miles on it. Big Grin I think it's time to upgrade!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post