SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question regarding circuit breakers - garage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding circuit breakers - garage Login/Join 
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
Assuming opener #2 is still out try unplugging it and see if everything resets.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How many loads are connected? If there are two disconnect one. If only one go to some other point after GFI and separate the wiring. It's all process of elimination. Sounds like it likely goes to one garage door opener, then to outdoor stuff. If you can map out or guess the order it goes then you start somewhere in the middle and work upstream until it stops tripping.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
SClass, I changed the GFCI, I unplugged both #1 and #2 openers. I went back and reset the 20amp circuit breaker. Pressed the Reset button on the ORIGINAL GFCI. It tripped the breaker. To open the garage for now, I plugged in #1 into a heavy duty
Extension cord, into the main house.

Skins, there are 2 sets of LOAD wires connected. Unfortunately, all 4 wires are BLACK. No markings on which is paired together. I may have to do process of elimination this weekend and try to isolate. I was tempted to replace the 20amp breaker. But it seems like it is working just fine as it is doing what it is supposed to do (tripping), don’t you think so?

The only obvious equiptment I know that have NO power at this time are:
1. Garage Opener #1 and #2
2. Water sprinkler system

Garage Opener #1 is working right now using extension cord. I also used the Sprinkler using extension cord. Opener #2 is UNPLUGGED when I reset the New GFCI. In fact, NOTHING was plugged in when I reset the new GFCI. It still tripped the breaker.

I have never worked with electrical wires before and let me tell you. My hands were sweating inside my rubber gloves. I know I turned OFF the circuit breaker and tested the power after. But still. I was nervous. Big Grin

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If the load wires are all black that is not normal and is a code violation. You are going to need an electrician to trace it out and figure out what the hot and neutrals are, then mark wires. Is your house wired in Romex wire or are there conduits feeding the outlet boxes. The lack of white wires is very odd.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Skinns, my mistake. I just took another look. There are 2 sets of LOAD wires. 2 Blacks on one side, and 2 WHITES on the other side. I just need to know which ones are paired up.

Is there a way to find out which one is the pair, using the probe tester? Like leave one BLACK hooked up, then use tester one at a time with the WHITE wires?

How about the 20amp circuit breaker theory that it is still GOOD, given that it is tripping?

I will give it one more try and fix it myself. I really would like to learn how to trouble shoot my own house.

If I can’t figure it out and fix it myself, then I will call an electrician.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Make sure once again you have line wires identified. Find the hot, then follow that and find the neutral that is coming from the panel. You should have already done this. For the remaining four wires use a flashlight to look into the back of the box and separate the two pairs wht/blk based on which picece of Romex they come in on.

Remove GFI wire nut the line to one load and turn on. See if breaker trips. If it does trip, swap line wires to second load, see if it stays on. If it does the first line is the one with a fault. Cap off the line that shorts the breaker and leave other load wire nutted to the line. If it will not reset with either load connected. Disconnect both and cap off the line. See if it will reset. If not wire from panel to GFI is bad.

Then report back your findings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Skins, I was able to isolate the problematic load wire.

Load Wire #1 powers:
1. Garage Openers 1 & 2
2. Garage outlet (non-GFCI)
3. OUTSIDE outlet (non-GFCI), near the AC units. The AC units ARE working fine (Turned ON AC, fans and AC working). It looked like the AC units have a different power source.

Load Wire # 2 powers:
1. Garage Outlet (non-GFCI), 20 Amp. (This is being used to power water sprinkler system). Did NOT notice anything else, other than that outlet that is connected to this Load Wire.

When I hooked up Load Wire #1 (ONLY), it TRIPS the circuit breaker.

When I hooked up Load Wire #2 (ONLY), it DOES NOT trip the circuit breaker. In fact, I left it hooked up right now so I can use the water sprinkler system.

So, any other tricks to find out what is causing Load Wire #1 to trip (even if NOTHING is plugged IN)?

BOTH garage openers are working right now using extension cords, plugged into an outlet inside the house.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Do you have a post light or peir lights at end of your driveway?

Is there a conduit coming out of the bottom of the exterior outlet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
No post or peir lights. No conduits either.

The only other thing not working is the low voltage light inside the House Number box. It is tied to the door bell chime, which is working. I may need to replace those 2 small low voltage bulbs.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Do you have a post light or peir lights at end of your driveway?

Is there a conduit coming out of the bottom of the exterior outlet?

posted Hide Post
quote:
3. OUTSIDE outlet (non-GFCI), near the AC units

If you haven't yet taken the cover off of this outlet; remove it and clean out the dead bugs and cobwebs that are probably in there.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Next step is to mark faulted wires so you know which ones they are. Then replace them on load side. With it now reconnected to garage GFI go to garage door openers or garage outlet and disconnect the wiring, before disconnecting look for ground (bare) wire touching brass screws on right side of outlet and for any black marks.

Restore power. If it trips your problem is between GFI and point you disconnected. If it stays on, work your way downstream in the circuit (likely moving away from GFI/panel). Repeat process until you find the problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis