SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    With all this talk about favorite hot sauces, no love for non-hot Lizano Salsa?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With all this talk about favorite hot sauces, no love for non-hot Lizano Salsa? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I've never been a big fan of hot sauces but do keep a bottle of Sriracha on hand. Better for me and my tastes is the Costa Rican table top staple, bottled Lizano salsa. Anyone else favor this stuff?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I love the hell out of Lizano and considered a happy day when I could find it on the internet and at Publix in Miami when I went there.

Forget Franks Red Hot, when it comes to Lizano, I put that shit on everything.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A little more on what Lizano is (NOT a hot sauce):

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Cool. I’ll look for it.

I’m a Chelsea fire sauce guy myself.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I discovered Salsa Lizano when I took a golf trip to Costa Rica a few years ago. That's right, a golf trip. I ordered some for me and my son, who had been to CR surfing. It's also good on Cuban style black beans and rice.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I discovered it while in Costa Rica as well. Has been in my go to condiment every since. Great stuff!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I have limited use for a sweetened hot sauce, such as I do with Siracha. Sweet doesn't go with savory for me.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a bottle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
How propitious that this thread should surface today. I'm going to Costa Rica this weekend for a week of travel and photography. I love hot sauces, and even if this isn't one, I'm going to find out about it. Thanks!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I have limited use for a sweetened hot sauce, such as I do with Siracha. Sweet doesn't go with savory for me.

Yeah, I too thought this sounded interesting until I saw that sugar was the first-listed ingredient after water. I just don’t have a sweet tooth.

Ingredients :
Water, Sugar, Salt, Vegetables, (Onions, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cucumbers), Spices, Acetic Acid, Pepper, modified corn starch Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Tumeric.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I too was wildly interested in finding some of this sauce, but if it's sweet, how sweet is it?

Sweet as ketchup?

Less or more so...?

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
C'mon, I don't want to go on a pilgrimage to find this sauce so sweet I won't enjoy it.

So, how sweet is it?

Ketchup sweet is about as sweet as I can stand and then only on the occasional freedom fry.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It has pepper but really isn't hot at all. Likewise with the sugar. Not really sweet at all especially compared to ketchup.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I don't remember it tasting sweet, but the color ain't pretty.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread I decided to order a bottle from Amazon to give it a try.

Damn, that stuff is good. Really good! I've tried it on eggs, tator tots, Ramon noodles, etc. It's a very distinct and different taste that makes it hard to compare to anything else. I'll be using it often for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I also ordered some from Amazon after reading this thread.
I used it on a quesadilla my wife made - it went with it well.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I too acquired some of this sauce from the Amazon, used it as a marinade for some steak tacos. Not bad, not bad at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Glad to read of some folks who decided to try it and found it to have merit! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192